PDA

View Full Version : Ralph's

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-01-2003, 08:53 AM
just in case nobody know's Ralph's are opening there doors to people with no picket line to cross. my brother in law said it was for the people ( i don't know about that ) it is suppose to be because of the fires and so forth(?) but they are trying to get everyone to the negotiation tables by doing this. just thought i would throw this out to people who were unaware. :)

JetBoatRich
11-01-2003, 09:09 AM
They all went over to Vons to walk the lines. There was about 100 of them yesterday at the entrance. They were not a nice crowd:mad:

Havasu Hangin'
11-01-2003, 09:12 AM
The UFCW struck against Safeway (Vons), but Ralph's and Albertsons locked thier union employees out in a show of unity. Rumors are circulating that Ralph's and Albertson's are not happy the way Vons has handled the negotiations.
The UFCW will continue to strike against Vons, but I would assume Burd (CEO of Safeway) will be very motivated to settle, if he is the lone chain losing business.

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-01-2003, 09:17 AM
thanks for the fact's H.H i wasn't to sure about all that. but now i can get some food and beer in the house. not in that order. LOL!:D

Havasu Hangin'
11-01-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
thanks for the fact's H.H i wasn't to sure about all that. but now i can get some food and beer in the house. not in that order. LOL!:D
Well, I don't know everything...but I do know that the union is accusing Burd of being a "labor-unfriendly" leader (he came from the railroad industry)...and they publicly accuse him of planning the strike months in advance by not negotiating.
The union has taken Burd's failure to nogotiate so personally, that they are threatening to picket Safeway nationally- that would hurt, as other union employees would probably not cross those lines.
The picket-shifting may just be semantics though...as the big-three have agreed to share the cost of the strike (although they won't say how the costs are broken up)...so any shift may just be a "message".
I do know that pickets or no pickets, Ralph's is gearing up to try to bring customer back into the stores with traffic-draw features (loss-leaders)...so get yer beer while it's cheap.
In other news...Staters hired (temporarily) over 1,000 striking workers in an agreement with the UFCW. Also, they donated $50K to the reward to capture the arsonists.

RiverToysJas
11-01-2003, 09:39 AM
It there move by the stores to bust the union?
I heard Ralphs is planning to shut the doors for 30 days, so they could lay-off everyone, and re-hire non-union people.
RTJas :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
It there move by the stores to bust the union?
I heard Ralphs is planning to shut the doors for 30 days, so they could lay-off everyone, and re-hire non-union people.
I doubt Kroger could take a 30 day shutdown by Ralph's...Ralph's is a big part of the profitabilty of Kroger...but who knows, anything is possible.
Safeway would probably like the unions out, but I doubt the union would take that lying down...it's a BIG union.
Safeway has been the designated leader of the negotiations so far, but there haven't been any negotiations...shocking.

6 Dollar Boat
11-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Lord,
As I understand it the unions are doing this for PR. The employees are still locked out at Ralph's. The unions say this will give the public more choices to shop without crossing a picket line. Looks to me that the unions are trying to turn the companies against each other.
I could care less about this whole strike, but the Orowheat drivers are union, and I am having a hard time finding Entenman's Cheese Filled Crumb Coffee Cake. I have crossed the line many times and can never find it. I guess it's time to fight the crowds at Stater's.
PS: Jeff is it OK if I call you Lord for short .
Sincerely, one of the oompa's

Havasu Hangin'
11-01-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 6 Dollar Boat
As I understand it the unions are doing this for PR. The employees are still locked out at Ralph's. The unions say this will give the public more choices to shop without crossing a picket line. Looks to me that the unions are trying to turn the companies against each other.
Super Star Boat-
You are probably correct...I would assume this is an attempt to get the negotiations in the public's eye...and started up.
Originally posted by 6 Dollar Boat
I could care less about this whole strike, but the Orowheat drivers are union, and I am having a hard time finding Entenman's Cheese Filled Crumb Coffee Cake. I have crossed the line many times and can never find it. I guess it's time to fight the crowds at Stater's.
Well...that's unacceptable! No Crumb Cake...NO PEACE!
LCF (Lord of the Chocolate Factory)

HighRoller
11-01-2003, 05:00 PM
I've pretty much gotten sick of these unions acting like it's their God-given right to have permanent employment and that the employer MUST give them vacation,benefits and retirement.They call it a strike but let's call it what it really is-EXTORTION!You don't like your job?Go get a better one.Any benefits you get from your employer are due to his generosity and the only thing that will insure your continued employment will be you showing up on time and being productive.But not unions.They want lifetime guaranteed employment.WAKE UP out there on the picket lines.The union bosses are still getting a paycheck right now.Are you?You all are going to lose thousands of dollars in wages walking around with a sign.How long will it take you to recoup those losses once you go back to work?Answer?You never will!That money is gone.And what if the store never lets you go back to work?Then what?You just pissed your job away for nothing.The store will continue to do business,the union will still be around,and you'll be the big loser.You should be GRATEFUL to have the wonderful amount of pay and benefits you do.You should be supportive of your EMPLOYER,not the union.What has the union ever done for you?They've taken your money for all these years and now they put you temporarily(and maybe permanently)out of work.I know where my loyalties would be.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-01-2003, 10:07 PM
I'll search out a Vons and shop there!:p

CMABadseed
11-01-2003, 10:26 PM
there are great things about unions and many are immeasureable assets to their members. but it seems to me that the UCFW is trying to get a raise or shorter shifts or more benefits by NOT working? strikes are certainly noticable by "the heads" but when these "good hardworking people" and are a$$holes outside the stores and NOT working on top of it. that deprives this hardworking person of my DAMN FOOD! seems like maybe the grocery stores should take a lesson from some smaller businesses and close down, only to open up days later under a new name "vonns" or "vaughns" and declare that they are hiring non-union personnel and offer those non union people the things those unioneers are asking for.