PDA

View Full Version : Help with hull who made it originally?

Bryan Rose
11-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Here we go again
I can not seem to find a soul who actually still has one of these.
A " BeachComber Rebel " So I thought I would see if anyone can ID the hull , I know there were a ton of molds floating around the U.S. back in the 70's and thought if I posted some good pic's of the hull some one may be able to help find out what bottom it actually is since there are very few original design bottoms. Any help here would be great . I am trying to find out what type of speed this hull will handle without getting really squirly...here are some pictures.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC01505-med.JPG ,http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC01512-med.JPG ,http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC01514-med.JPG
Bryan

likwidsukr
11-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Looks alot like a Cutlass My dad has one

1HOTGMCJET
11-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Looks like another Tahiti/Sanger "splash" to me, but Old Rigger could answer it better than I - what about it, OR?:)

jweeks123
11-01-2003, 10:38 PM
beismeyer

Bryan Rose
11-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Maybe Old Rigger will chime in her. What I am trying to find out is what kind of speed this hull will be able to handle... I am trying to figure out if converting to an Arneson is a bad idea in the long run because , with the power crrently in the boat with an Arneson and the right gearing and prop, speeds should be in the triple digits when done. Just looking for some folks who have run this hull or another variation and with those speeds and how it took it. It now runs in the low 70's and is rock solid.
Thanks for the help and any ideas are great.
Bryan

bp
11-02-2003, 12:12 PM
others have said don't do it, i concur; don't do it.
the boat will handle speed just fine, but i seriously doubt that a basically stock 454 with thru hull exhaust is going to take you into triple digits, surface drive, v-drive, jet drive, or any other kind of drive, with that boat.
every time someone mention the arneson, i recall the gentry eagle. http://www.gentryeagle.com/
this thing was 114' long, and set a number of records, including the transatlantic record. it had 3 diesel engines, two of which spun jets. the third engine was connected to an arneson. what this story doesn't say much about (but the original story did) is that during the atlantic record run, the arneson was used very little, because it wouldn't stay in the water and created other problems.
consequently, A JET DRIVEN BOAT OWNS THE TRANSATLANTIC SPEED RECORD.
personally, i don't want to be anywhere near an arneson. those things would be more at home in a "chainsaw massacre" movie.
btw, there's a whole lot more you can do to improve the performance of your boat, other than considering changing the drive.

BiggusJimbus
11-02-2003, 01:17 PM
Bit of mis-information here.
These are surface drives, Not good for skiing, but otherwise fine.
No more dangerous than any Stern drive. in some ways safer. You can see the prop and won't be lulled into believing it's not there.
I've seen a mild small block push an 18ft low profile boat (an eliminator bubble deck, I believe) to almost 90 with one of these drives.
Their biggest drawbacks are it's low speed handling around the docks is less than stellar, and the prop itself costs a ton.
They work fine in rough water (up to a point, I imagine). I've ridden in a 23ft Elim. Daytona with a 450 hp turbine motor in the SF Bay in a pretty good chop doing mid 80's. These drives will put up an impressive roost.

Bryan Rose
11-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Well first off lets see. A 454 punched out .40 , oval port heads, ported and polished,gaket matched, forged crank, forged pistons,10-1, CR big roller cam, Decked the block ,decked the heads, quench to .30, tunnel ram, two 660's tweaked, etc.. etc... etc...also a set a lightning water jacketed headers on the way. all put together by a a circle track motor builder who rules the Roost here in Central Ga. in building motors and racing. the Motor first real good pull made 489 HP @ 5250 on his dyno...so I guess the motor is not a basic 454:yuk: LOL. So I would think the headers would at least add another 20-30 horses there, so lets say finished it puts out 520 Hp.
I think it will push an 18 ' foot low profile boat that is no more than 2500 lbs easily to the mid 90's with the right gearing and prop.
I have yet to decide what to do just exploring things at this point, the application should suit my needs.
I do not pull tubers
I do not pull skiers
I run an lakes and rivers only
Most of all I drink in responsably at the lake as do all my friends, not to worried about some one getting sh*tfaced at the lake and cutting themselves to pieces.... That prop is no more dangerous than a clever on an outdrive. at least you can see it and are aware of it as stated before.
So what is the answer in the back of the book we shall see...if it happens great, if not no biggie
But back to the ? at hand , can anyone be certain of what this is a splash of? I have yet to see another anywhere internet or otherwise.
Thanks for the help :) And here is a little more info. 18 Foot, Jet to surface drive Comparason........
More of this Feature
• Part 1: Surface Drives
• Part 2: Surface Drives continued
• Surface-Piercing Drive Diagram
Related Resources
• Features Index
Elsewhere on the Web
• Twin Disc
Twin Disc has tested a pair of identical 53-foot Magnums powered by twin 1,080-hp diesel engines, one boat fitted with conventional inboards and the other with Arnesons. According to the company, the inboard-powered boat (weighing 57,500 pounds) reached a top speed of 45 mph, while the boat with surface drives (weighing slightly more at 59,500 pounds) was clocked at 56 mph. A similar test with identical 18-foot runabouts, each powered by a single 400-hp gasoline engine, compared a waterjet and an Arneson surface drive. The company measured a top speed of 67 mph for the waterjet boat compared with 88 mph for the surface drive boat. Twin Disc has no bias in such a test since it manufactures both surface drives and waterjet drives.