PDA

View Full Version : fu@#ing mice

502procharger
11-01-2003, 06:20 PM
ok i don't know how it is in other parts of the country but in ny as soon as it starts getting cold i get mice . i keep a clean home and have no food just sitting out and around but no matter what i do for as long as i can remember i get them. they are not running all over the house but i might see one 5 times or so a winter and i see mice crap places so i know they are around. i put poison down and that works but i end up finding dead mice for the next 6 months. any ideas?

HCS
11-01-2003, 06:25 PM
The best thing Iv'e ever used is a good old mouse trap.
Just keep using them until you get em all.

jbtrailerjim
11-01-2003, 06:29 PM
I get rat's in my garage. I use the old school wooden trap's and it seems to work.

sidewound
11-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Go with the wood snapper trappers!
Nothin like watcin the tube, sippin a drink and hearin that "SNAP"
Always makes me feel like "DAKTARI"
Mouse out!
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

Infomaniac
11-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Not much you can do man. They come in out of the cold every year.
Mouse trap and peanut butter as bait.

sandblasted
11-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Get a cat...We got invaded by Kangaroo rats this summer due to all the new construction in the area...These little beasts have tiny bodies, long ass tails and big feet like a kangaroo...Hence the name...My cat killed about 10 of them in a 2 month period....haven't seen any in 2 months now....and the cat was free...

Keithb87
11-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Chase them with a blow torch!! :D :D :D

Mandelon
11-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Gotta agree with the cat idea. I never see them around here, but the cats drag home all kind of creatures. It is in the genes to go after rodents. Our little kitty even kills flies and spiders. :rolleyes:

gigamurph
11-01-2003, 08:18 PM
Yep! Same problem east, west, north, or south; every fall when the temps turn cold! The ol' style snap traps are good for laughs but a few yeasr ago we got overrun by mice when we tore down some old buildings not 100ft. from my backdoor! Geezus! You see 5 mice a winter? We were seein' 5 mice a HBO movie! I personally like the glue traps. Not as much satisfaction since ya lose the "SNAP" factor, but some of the little bast**ds were gettin' off the traps and crawlin' around with 3 legs. Once they get on a glue board, they don't get off(well, one did) and ya just throw the whole damn thing away. :)

Casanova
11-02-2003, 07:55 AM
The problem here was that for about a block around me, mice Gophers and occasional Norwegian Roof Rats where the issue.
If your neighbors don't Dovetail each others efforts the problem keeps coming.
I trapped, poisoned, BB guned,, it was a never ending battle. Some neighbors had it far worse than me and exterminators were even having trouble because of the Dovetail-your-efforts with-your-neighbors theory wasn't being coordinated..
My solution:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P9120001-med.JPG
Meiko the Cat.
He has access to the garage rafters, and into the craw spaces in my roof.
If you show them, (or they usually figure it out anyway) how to hop up on the truck, then make a pathway for them in the garage rafters,, they get plenty of them. Hell, Meiko gets all of them.
This method has worked for me for decades in several homes I've lived it.
The cat goes into other areas too to kill which is my solution to Dovetailing efforts.
Mouse poison, though sometimes effective, ya may get smelly dead mice in the attic.
The neighbors love watching Meiko from their lawnchairs catch gophers on my hillsides, and their lawns and hillsides, thus Dovetailing our efforts.
He's the champ.

11-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Meiko doesn't look hungry enough to be a good mouser.

Liberator TJ1984
11-02-2003, 11:21 AM
22 revolver with RatShot next to the recliner;)
beats the hell out of those interactive playstation games !!

MANIC MECHANIC
11-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Liberator TJ1984
22 revolver with RatShot next to the recliner;)
beats the hell out of those interactive playstation games !!
Sounds kinda hard on the furniture.
:rolleyes: Tim

GlastronGuy
11-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Looks like this litle guy got into the JD.
http://w1.511.telia.com/~u51102888/anims/cartoon2/mous_anm.gif

Stupid Fast
11-02-2003, 04:48 PM
I thought I would be slick one time. I saw one go into the wall under the baseboard. I thought it would be a good Idea to use the expanding foam and just fill up the cavity. It worked but you could smell the little foker untill I busted out the drywall and found it and about 4 babies encased in foam. Glue traps work and blocking off all spots that the get in the house helps. Nothing is perfect though. Do not use poisen because they run into the nearest most difficult place to get to and die and stink.
EMC

MANIC MECHANIC
11-02-2003, 04:50 PM
Get a cat!

gigamurph
11-02-2003, 09:14 PM
"Do not use poisen because they run into the nearest most difficult place to get to and die and stink."-Stupid Fast
Exactly! Another problem with poisons is their "Secondary Toxicity". If you use the wrong poison and you own a cat or dog, the poison could be passed to them if they eat a poisoned rodent. While the doses ingested may be small and only make your pets sick; some of the poisons could be fatal in a secondary ingestion. Most of today's poisons are low in secondary toxicity but there are still some (the most effective; imagine that) out there that are high in secondary toxicity. So be careful if you use poisons.