PDA

View Full Version : Holley Red or Blue pump???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-01-2003, 06:23 PM
I am planning on changing my fuel pump. I am running a mechanical pump on my 455 olds with a tunnel ram. For some odd reason I feel like I dont have enough fuel so I am thinking about switching. What do you guys think? Which pump is better? Red or Blue????

TIMINATOR
11-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Why do you think that you don't have enough fuel?What pump?What H.P?I run a mechanical.TIMINATOR

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-01-2003, 07:27 PM
i am currently running a .30 455 olds with tunnel ram(2-600cfmholleys) cam is 230@.50,headers,msd6al,and a stocl 442 hp mechanical pump. When I hit the pedal to the floor the top end studders like its lacking fuel. I havent drove my boat since 4th of july. i am going to start running it again.

TIMINATOR
11-01-2003, 07:51 PM
It sounds mild enough to me,it should work fine with a high volume machanical pump. I run a 572 with a 1050 AND a 175 N2O shot (BIG ROLLER CAM TOO!)with an Edelbrock hi-vol and the fuel pressure never gets below 6 lbs. Hard to read the gauge at 105+ mph so I get the DEBONATOR to do it! Yours is an easier deal because of the 2 carbs, you have twice as many fuel bowls and needle and seats. Sorry you didn't make it to the Bartlett thing,wanted to meet ya! TIMINATOR :D

TIMINATOR
11-01-2003, 07:55 PM
OOPS... maybe the 442 pump isnt as good as the Edelbrock or the Holley that I had.Make sure that you feed it with 1/2 inch line on the suction side too, and a big changeover valve. also mebbie the coil is going bad, get a gauge! TIMINATOR :D

TIMINATOR
11-01-2003, 08:01 PM
The Holley didnt use an external regulater, but I got paranoid when I put on the squeeze and the new pump uses a regulator. Hey how come the post count didnt change for the last post? TIMINATOR :)

HOSS
11-01-2003, 08:34 PM
red, blue pump sucks. As in sucks blown dirt.

Infomaniac
11-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Any 6 check valve pump is more than enough for most engines.
The Clay Smith version is good for 1.200 HP.
Make damn sure your fuel system is not restricting flow. Start with the tank outlets.
This is the most common problem I see with fuel delivery issues.
The next common problem is using inline regulators rather than bypass regulators.

Dave C
11-02-2003, 11:51 AM
I ditched those holly electricals for one of those new high volume mechanical. Much better.:)
Those electrics always used to get rusty and the metal always fell apart on the off season. Junk, IMO.
Good luck.

Rexone
11-02-2003, 07:24 PM
If you're going to go electrical, go Mallory geroter design.
Holleys are inherently suceptable to moisture damage inside (damages vanes and then seals). Once that happens it puts strain on the motor, then the motor goes away, not to mention leaking. I've gone through several Holleys on my ski race boat and finally switched to Mallory. No more problem. Just my .02 on electric. The mechanicals above work excellent too.

Jim Hall
11-03-2003, 05:50 AM
I am in the process of upgrading fuel pump and was wondering if the placement of elec. pump is a factor? Mine is currently up front by fuel tank and found out after installing fuel pressure gauge
yesterday that at idle I have about 5-6 psi and when I bring the rpm's up off idle it drops to between 3-5. What pressure is best to maintain? 460 ford mild cam 750 Holley.

Cheap Thrills
11-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Most Ele. Pumps push better than they pull . I'de mount it close to the fuel tank .
Just my .02
C.T.:wink:
Live view Panama Canal.

BiggusJimbus
11-05-2003, 10:46 AM
I would say that before you decide that you have a fuel delivery problem you should put in a fuel pressure guage and see what is actually happening.
You might have jetting or float problems. You also have a hell of a lot of carb on that motor.
Good Luck.

Hotcrusader76
11-05-2003, 02:58 PM
I personaly have always liked the Mallory Electric fuel pumps. Their quiet, reliable, and mount up with ease. Just make sure you invest into a good bypass type regulator. They'll save your pump and keep the fuel colder.
Otherwise look into a mech.design by Clay Smith. I think "INFO" might have a good lead on them.
~Ty

flat broke
11-05-2003, 06:46 PM
You can go directly to George at Clay Smith for the pump and probably get a better deal than going through a middle man. Mabye it's just because I stop by in person or something, but his prices on his pump are better than what you would spend on a Holley or Edelbrock that probably wouldn't flow as well.
my .02
Chris

77charger
11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
I would prefer the blue over hte red.As for manufacturers i have also tried the mallory comp140 and was very happy with it til my brother needed it back for his car that would sit for years after.But it cost twice as much as a holley blue.For our race boat we use a barry grant 400 it was the one to seem to keep up with the demand.As for the clay smith mechanical my buddy uses one on his blown motor placecraft and i can say it works very well for a mechanical(worth it) but the only prob he had was he had to trim the hell out of the front motor plate so it would clear so that might be a problem.