PDA

View Full Version : spittin' spark plugs

dirtman
11-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Kind of off topic here, but... does anybody here have trouble with their Ford Triton engines spittin' out a plug now and then?
I've got 100,000 kilometers (62,000 miles ) on mine and it tossed a plug! Took it back to the dealer to rectify the problem, they said "Sure we'll take the head off, install a heli coil and you'll be good to go" All on extended warranty at that. Well, I picked it up and the service guy hit me with a bill for $235 for torqueing in a new plug and coil!! (coil on every plug)
No extended warranty because it's not oil lubed!!!!:mad:

Squirtcha?
11-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you need to find the first guy that said, Sure we'll take the head off, install a heli coil and you'll be good to go. All on extended warranty at that
If that's what they told you, that's what should've happened. If you've got the guy's name, I'd go after him.

MikeF
11-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard that there are only about 4 threads (in an aluminum head no less!:eek: ) that hold the spark plug in! Bad design from the beginning (fire that engineer!!!)

Banshee
11-02-2003, 03:04 PM
I gotta agree with Squirtcha. Go after the guy that told you it would be covered.
Here's a good fourm for Ford trucks. Maybe somebody here can help you out.
http://www.ford-truck.com/forums/

dirtman
11-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks. Looks like I'll take it up with the service manager!!

blown428fe
11-02-2003, 05:16 PM
Dirtman
my friend shot his second plug out three weeks ago.shot one out last winter.its an E-250, ill call him tomarow and see what they did about it and what year the van is
Mike in CT.

dirtman
11-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks, mines an f-250 sd v-10. Thought maybe it was just a v-10 thing, but I've heard from a couple other peeps that the 8 does it too.

ezstriper
11-03-2003, 01:51 PM
I have talked to a couple of techs about this problem, it is happening quite often and Ford is aware of the problem and have issued tsb's about the problem. They have not issued ant recalls that I've heard of though, but from what I've heard torque
is the key, but they have a problem and sometimes don't like to fess up !, call ford's factory service center in your area, the # should be in your owner's package, good luck Rob...

Jet City
11-03-2003, 02:02 PM
I also have a F150 with the Triton, the plug spitting is somewhat common after the plug change, as stated above with so few thread revs its not hard to screw them up. Below is a link to an outfit that offers helicoil kits and the needed tools to do the job w/o removing the head/heads. I had an idea of my own, why not plumb the sparkplug hole for air while you ream the hole to keep debris out of the engine (15-20 psi?). Anyway, here you go...
http://www.timesert.com/bigsert-repair.html

Jet City
11-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Sorry for the double post, having problems getting firwall to work with forums.

blown540flattie
11-03-2003, 07:41 PM
This site has alot of info. It is kinda a underground ford website. http://www.blueovalnews.com/

blown540flattie
11-04-2003, 07:10 AM
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2003/powertrain/4.6l.enginetick.t31604.htm
This would piss me off.

Wet Dream
11-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Ford was having a problem with the heads on 2000 models and may even lead into other models. There were 2 issues with these heads. 1 was that the heads were shaved incorrectly leading to a leaking valve cover, and the other being spark plug holes milled out bigger than what they should be. The fix was a head replacement and some warranties covered this.

Dr. Eagle
11-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by dirtman
No extended warranty because it's not oil lubed!!!!:mad:
That has to be the biggest joke about Extended Warranties. Oil Lubed Parts...not exactly bumper to bumper...:yuk: :eek:

rrrr
11-06-2003, 08:09 AM
I had a 2000 Ex with a V-10, it blew out a plug at 42K miles. The dealer mumbled something about being out of warranty, I looked around and found the aforementioned Ford truck forums.
When I found out that the problem was pretty common, I went back to the dealer, called bs on him, and they replaced both heads for free. It took a little arguing, but they stood up.
Tell the guy to stuff it, start working your way up the chain.