PDA

View Full Version : XLGPP Is this the same Scam????

H20 Party Starter
11-04-2003, 03:32 PM
I buy and sell a lot of off road toys, and I got this e-mail the other day.
Tell me this doesn't sound shady.......I replied to the e-mail and told the guy to ****-off and I told him I gave his info to the authorities! He was gonna give me 9,000 instead of 4,000 and wanted cash back!
Here is the e-mail
Goodday ,
>
> I got your correspondence,am sorry for not mailing back ontime,it's due to the seminar am presently attending. I believe that the 4 seat w/ an 1835 rail is still in good working condition 'cos i won't be able to come and inspect it. I will be taking the rail for $4100.Lets seal a deal at that price .Consider the 4 seat w/ 1835 rail already sold to me.I would have love to comedown and inspect it but i'm presently out of state for a seminar.
>
> As for the payment,I will instruct an associate of mine to send a US cashier check of $9,000 to you in payment of some fuel equipments supplied to him.All you just have to do is to deduct the price of your 4 seat w/ an 1835 rail which is $4100 and help me send the remaining balance of $4900 to my reputable shipper who will be coming down for the pickup of the 4 seat w/ an 1835 rail when all transaction has been concluded via Western Union money transfer.
>
> I will like to have the address to which the cashier check will be sent to and your phone number so that i can forward it to my associate to make payment out to you .Get back to me ASAP.Am you sent to me.
>
>Bart
>

Jordy
11-04-2003, 03:36 PM
That one does sound kind of suspect. I think from here on out unless I know the person, I'll only accept cash as that seems to be the safest route. :confused:

Mr.Havasu
11-04-2003, 03:39 PM
boy they are trying every angle.
I have heard of a few people on here being contacted with simular scams. they must think us boater are morans.

Mandelon
11-04-2003, 04:06 PM
The cashier he gives you will be fraudulent. You bank will cash it, but then come back and deduct the money from your account.
You did the right thing telling him to f-off.

topless
11-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Not only that, but you would be resposible for at least 3 years on a fraudulent cashiers check.

XLGPP
11-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Yep...same scam...
I'm just gonna let the money earn interest for me until the bank wants it back.

MagicMtnDan
11-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by XLGPP
Yep...same scam...
I'm just gonna let the money earn interest for me until the bank wants it back.
I'm just guessing here but I don't think you can earn money on a bad check. I'll bet that whatever you might "earn" will go away as soon as the check goes away.

XLGPP
11-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
I'm just guessing here but I don't think you can earn money on a bad check. I'll bet that whatever you might "earn" will go away as soon as the check goes away.
well considering the fact that they already cashed the "cashiers check" and I have deposited it into a money market account, all they can do is require me to give the original amount back. I havent done the math, but I would assume $150,000 would earn about $300 in interest in 3weeks time.

Skullinator
11-04-2003, 05:30 PM
If you give them your wire transfer information, how can they drain money from your account? The wire transfer routing number to deposit funds is not the same number used on your account to withdraw money. Yes, they will have your account number, but how can they withdraw without the correct routing to withdraw? Does anyone know this?

NorCal Gameshow
11-04-2003, 05:37 PM
how much "extra" did they send you?