PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator Jet Needs More Speed

tool'n'around
11-04-2003, 06:16 PM
I have a new 21 ft. eliminator with a 496 mag and want some more speed out of her... Some say a droop... Somesay a Whipple and some headers... Where should I start...

TIMINATOR
11-04-2003, 07:37 PM
How fast now? We need more info to help! I have a 21 Daytona myself,it runs ok and I am allways trying new stuff, maybe I can help. TIMINATOR :D

Cs19
11-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Make sure your jet drive is in good condition, you can add all the power in the world to it, but its not going to move with a worn out/damaged jet drive.:)

tool'n'around
11-04-2003, 07:43 PM
it runs about 55 at 4800 I'd like to get a little over 60 out of it...

screamdreambrad
11-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by tool'n'around
it runs about 55 at 4800 I'd like to get a little over 60 out of it... you need to talk to jerry billit, he has a good handle on the 21' daytona. his runs in the mid to high nineties on a good weekend.

TIMINATOR
11-05-2003, 08:22 AM
At your current speed I feel that you need more HP. Pump work is fine when you are running 75+,but I have found that the slower a boat is the less difference it seem to make. Besides, what you optimize for 60 MPH won't even be close when you add some HP and go fast. Why do the setup/pump work and pay for it twice? Sounds like you have a AA impeller and its keeping the RPM down,you could cut it to an A or AB, but when you do get real HP it may be too loose for your taste. My Daytona 21 ran 63-65 with a 390 HP Mercruiser motor with a Comp Cams 292 and Lightning headers,and AA impeller. At that speed the only thing that seemed to matter was the rideplate angle and Divertor setting. When I went to the 572 (9.5comp,reg.gas,1050,roller cam) it went 84 immediatly, then the loader grate,shoe and rideplate adjustments took it to where it is now,mid 90s at 100degrees+ at 2000+ ft altitude. The 175 hp Cheater plate makes it run about 108+,the reason for the bigger than normal jump with the Squeeze is the motor is overcammed for the impeller(STILL THE AA with a DON's inducer!),and it gets in the sweet spot of the cam only on the bottle. This keeps the cruise RPM low,the fuel consumption low, and the WHAT THE F--K YOU GOT IN THAT factor HIGH! OH Yeah,my pump was "set-up"by a local "pump guru"to be optimized at 80+MPH..... whatever..... I asked around,looked at others setups,spent less than $150.00 and gained 11+ MPH. Do the motor first is my vote.Before spending the big bucks,listen to everyone then ask yourself "does this guy have a fast boat or is opinion just an opinion?" We do our own MOTORS,ALL THE MACHINE WORK AND PUMP WORK too. Food for thought. TIMINATOR :)

Riverdog1
11-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Timminator, where ya been?

TIMINATOR
11-06-2003, 06:42 AM
On the LAKE! Still tuning/playing with the setup.Went up some blind alleys, but back on track now. Scored a Crower stack injection that i'm converting to EFI, its gonna be AWESOME!!! Did I mention that I'm plumbing in a Super Pro Shot FOGGER too? In the process of finishing up a blower motor for a customer to go in an Eliminator like mine, at 7 lbs we think that about 110-115mph should be no problemo. I'll keep ya posted! Trying to decide over the winter what the next big modifications will be.Oh yeah, the droop is modified again and works goooood! Stay cool!!! :D :D TIMINATOR

Tom Foolery
11-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by tool'n'around
I have a new 21 ft. eliminator with a 496 mag and want some more speed out of her... Some say a droop... Somesay a Whipple and some headers... Where should I start...
Hey Kev! Welcome to the boards!
Just a clarification for you all. Its a 21 eagle, not daytona.
Since everyone else is chiming in my .02 is that a droop is a relativly cheap addition, but I wouldn't expect a big increase from it.
It will help you air out the hull a bit if that is part of your problem. Since I haven't seen your new boat in action yet its hard to say if your running wet.
But there's no better way to go faster than more power & having your jet tuned to match your engines curves.