PDA

View Full Version : So ... Why did you buy your Jet?

Bryan Rose
11-05-2003, 07:32 AM
Just a simle question to all of you jet owners out there. Why did you choose a jet?
There are faster setups...
There are better performers...
There are boats to haul more people...
Etc...
Etc...
Did you buy for the bang for the buck ( initial )
For the nostalgia
Types of boating you do
or just for the sheer thrill of the acceleration...
I made my choice on a few things,
Bang for the buck
Originality not too many Jets in the SE,here we call'em A**hole boats
And I love the acceleration
Easy to work on
And another main reason is I am an atique wholesaler and wanted an old boat... that would perform well, I know it is only 26 years old but, still old. Vintage I would say.
So what led you to the Jet?
Come on lets here it.
Bryan
:) :) :) :)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-05-2003, 07:44 AM
all of the above with the addition of much SAFER the only that sucks is sucking up the ski rope but I found the answer for that!!!:) oh yeah and handling is a big plus too. boat turns on a dime
Omega

Cas
11-05-2003, 07:46 AM
Bought my first jet in 1976 and have never owned anything else.
Less hassles, less worries, less money and the safety value is way above the others for my kids.
Besides all that, I love the acceleration.
The story that still cracks me up is back in the early 80's, a friend of mine used to give me a bad time about the fallacy of jets using lots of gas. It went on for about a year until he "brushed" over a sandbar in his v-drive (cool boat btw). Cost of repairs was about $1200.00 for a messed up prop, a bent shaft, new bearings and seals. I told him after towing him in that I could sure buy a lot of gas for the amount it was going to cost in repairs.....never heard another word from him.
I'll try to find a picture of his boat. I believe it was a 1968 Beismeyer flat bottom v-drive with a 389 Pontiac.
What's the point in owning a boat that stays on the trailer anyways?

JetBoatRich
11-05-2003, 07:51 AM
We bought ours for a great price, safety and liked the layout. Someday we may have to upgrade to a larger boat, but for now a jet-boat will be in the family for awhile.;)

1Bahnerjet
11-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Because its Fun.:D
--------
Slip n' Slide

Squirtcha?
11-05-2003, 08:03 AM
Yup all that stuff.
I hadn't bought a boat yet and went to the lake with a buddy of mine. The kids were all playing in the water while we were squaring away the camp and getting the boats ready and launched. In a freakish accident, one of my buddy's daughters was jumping off a dude's OB fish n ski and landed on the prop on her way down (motor was tilted up as it was beached). The prop caught her about mid thigh and laid her open (about a 4" gash. damned deep too). Needless to say my pal was frantic and rushed her into the truck and headed for the nearest emergency room (about 25 miles away) while his wife applied pressure to the wound. On his way out he tossed me the keys to his boat (just so happened to be the same make hull I bought).
Well those two things pretty much convinced me that jets were the way ta go. A combination of his daughter getting cut up and a weekend driving his boat cinched it for me. That was about five or six years ago and although there are times I wished I had something a little bigger (Havasu on a busy weekend), I don't regret the decision one bit.
Oh yeah, his daughter healed up nicely, although she still has a nasty scar from it.

LakesOnly
11-05-2003, 08:18 AM
I just love the way jet boats handle and manuever.
So Bryan Rose, why did you jack sangermike's avatar?
LO

AZKC
11-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Upgraded from a whacker:D I knew nothing about jets back in 1979 and I still don't. :D
KC

BubbleJet
11-05-2003, 09:21 AM
I've owned OBs, I/Os, and jet skis, but never a jet. I always wanted one and was in the market for a toy. All my friends were buying Harleys, but I am a fireman/paramedic and pick up too many motorcycle victims. I also figured I had used up my motorcycle luck years ago and was getting too old to heal quickly. So the jet boat was my "safer" Harley.
The thing I like about it is the hot rod mystique that goes with it. I had an old guy walk up to me on the boat ramp and ask if he could listen to me fire up that "big motor".
:D :D :D :D :D :D

waterslinger
11-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Sick and tired of building clamp on junk.
Love my jet, had to buy a 20 foot Baja out law for the family
but still got jet and love it. Just a good deal and never lets me down.

Cheap Thrills
11-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Momentary lapse of better judgement ...:D
C.T.;)
Live view Panama Canal.

riverbound
11-05-2003, 09:53 AM
I bought mine for a couple of reasons.
First of all I have always loved the classic daycruisers And I finally found an all original spectra 18.
Secondly, the big motor thing We own a bunch of boats (ski natique, 22ft stoker w/ 300 evinrude, pontoon boat, and 24 ft supra) but none of them give me the feeling of jumping into my jet and firing up that "big" motor
third, safety I now have a son and did not want to worry about him jumoping off the swimstep and hitting the prop
Fourth, we have a house in parker so most of our boating is done there and I have had enough of dinged up props and drive shafts.
and lastly chicks dig em

Havasuhog
11-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Cause they suck, pop, blow and go.
Shallow water operation,
no transmission,
direct drive,
can handle unlimited horsepower,
1 moving part - The pump shaft.
Light weight!
No drag,
Rebuildable, Rebuildable, Rebuildable !
Use your jet-o-vator to knock off your skiers when you need another beer break.
And there was something wrong with mounting the motor backass backwards in a V-Drive? if you know what I mean.
Under acceleration you want the oil at the pickup not at the Damper - but Hey what do I know - I could be wrong.
:)

HalletDave
11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
I owned a '75 17ft Avenger back in the '80s.
Was boatless for about 13 years.
I remembered how much fun I had in the old Avenger.
I saw this last year and just had to have it. ;)
'77 18.6ft Hallett Mini Cruiser, all original upholstery, shag carpet, yes I said shag carpet & LS6 454 bbc.
I sometimes just sit in it parked in the garage listening to tunes drinking a few boat sodas and pretend I am cruisin' the "Delta"
I love my old Hallett
http://classicboatbeachbash.com/cbbb03/otherspics/959272-R1-2A.jpg

Unchained
11-05-2003, 10:44 AM
1) I never have to worry about breaking the drive either from putting lots of HP to it or from running it into the bottom. I haven't even taken the bowl off my jet pump in over a year. It still works great.
2) Simple to work on
3) Maneuverability, I still can't understand why someone would buy a boat without reverse or that you have to start in gear.
4) Performance, In a lake boat the jet has the best acceleration / performance of any drive up to the 100 MPH mark and that's where 99.9999% of my boating is done.
(Definition of a lake boat: At least two seats, Able to carry enough gas to go 20 miles, Able to pull a water skier, Able to idle through a no wake zone.)
5) To have something different then most of the locals here who have outboards and think nothing can beat them.
6) It looks fast even when it's not moving !
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220markonboat2-med.jpg

Floored
11-05-2003, 11:02 AM
safety when out with family and grandchildren, looks and sounds cool and looks like a BOAT is supposed to look, and my wife digs it!:D

victorfb
11-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Chicks dig em!!! :D

Jet City
11-05-2003, 11:46 AM
For a performance lake/river boat I would only have a Jet or V-drive, the reasons are simple, I have no interest in wrenching on an outboard or outdrive, they are completely uninteresting to me. I probably choose the jet because I had been skiing with friends that had them years before I bought my first, and I thought they were fun to drive, and the simplicity made sense. I Still haven't rode in a V-drive boat yet, but their every bit as cool as jet from a mechanical standpoint, someday I will have one, but my next boat will most likely be another jet (although a nice 4 seater 19' Sanger V-drive could lure me away).

H2OT PURSUIT
11-05-2003, 03:03 PM
I converted my 26 Ft. Sleekcraft Daycruiser from an I/O to jet mostly because my dock is in a cove where the water gets fairly low, late in the year. Yes I know a jet will suck up stuff in much deeper water than most people think, but a little common sense goes a long way. The safety is nice, but mostly for the trouble free operation. And I love the looks of a classic daycruiser. Not to mention I don't know squat about working on an outboard.

Threeve
11-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Unchained
1) I never have to worry about breaking the drive either from putting lots of HP to it or from running it into the bottom. I haven't even taken the bowl off my jet pump in over a year. It still works great.
2) Simple to work on
3) Maneuverability, I still can't understand why someone would buy a boat without reverse or that you have to start in gear.
4) Performance, In a lake boat the jet has the best acceleration / performance of any drive up to the 100 MPH mark and that's where 99.9999% of my boating is done.
(Definition of a lake boat: At least two seats, Able to carry enough gas to go 20 miles, Able to pull a water skier, Able to idle through a no wake zone.)
5) To have something different then most of the locals here who have outboards and think nothing can beat them.
6) It looks fast even when it's not moving !
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220markonboat2-med.jpg
dude thats a cool tunnel boat. I agree with all you posted but i gotta say that my buddy just bougth a flat and its way faster off the line from my boat.
i bet you could take him with that turebo motor though.

mickeyfinn
11-05-2003, 05:18 PM
My first boat was a jet. Bought it because I couldn't afford the boat I really wanted. Was an old sidewiinder with a 455. Top speed mid 50's.
Sold that boat and ended up with a weed wacker. That wasn't for me.
Sold that boat and bought an I/O. Maintenance nightmare if you run it hard. Expensive to get more speed from also.
Sold it and bought a V-Drive. Will never change to something else unless it is a second boat to haul more people. Love it. Great hole shot, great top end. Definitely gets attention. Most of all it is something I built, I can work on and it is PAID FOR!!!

bp
11-05-2003, 06:03 PM
25 years ago, i had a whacker power trihull. kids skied, would go down, and it took about 2 days to get back to them. after a close call at shasta (flats running up my back with a 11 year old girl on the rope), i decided i needed something that would turn, handle, and get back to down skiers in a hurry. first jet, 17' semi-v, 396bbc. i had that boat for 18 years, and it did what it was supposed to; always start, was quick, and it could pull skiers (personal record was 5 at once, but handing out the ropes was a nightmare).
7 years ago, wanted more performance, sold that boat, and found the sw with a 427. much quicker, much faster, handled great. 5 years ago, got into dragboat racing, began crewing for a pgj that still holds all the records, made lots of great friends (which this sport is famous for). 2 years ago, my bud dne put a bbc together that would run on pump gas, but also be competitive in "some" class at the drags. the sw has 2 11 gallon tanks that will allow it to go much further than 20 miles (for unchained). turned out to be competitive in the 10s. i've been running the 10 second bracket for 2 years with it, fairly consistent 10.0s (unless i break out) at around 105 or so. the quick is tremendous, it's reliable as hell, i can still idle through 5 mph zones and pull skiers without worryin' about safety.

Mohavekid
11-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Basically because I grew up on one.
My parents bought an Arena Craft 18 in 1969, I was 5. It had a 427 Chevy with 3 2bbl carbs out of a Corvette and a berk JG. That boat was built like a tank.
They then bought an 1973 Riviera 18 with at 455 olds and a berk e- pump.
After I got out of college, buying a jet was the first thing I did. It was a Challenger 18, gold metalflake with dark brown interior and was a piece of crap. It had a 454 Chev and a berk c pump.
A few years and a lot of work, I think it turned out pretty good.
I had to sell it a few years back due to a growing family.
I now have this Sanger because I have a wife and kids so I needed the room, but I'll always have a jet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1177CBBB-med.jpg
Jets may not be as fast as other types of propulsion but they can't be beat for the stuff I do mosthttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1177Challenger5.jpg

Bryan Rose
11-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Lakes Only...
After the re-vamping of the system it just appeared, trying to change it to my own but all my pics are too large. Guess I will change it now to nothing....

sanger mike
11-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Bryan Rose
Lakes Only...
After the re-vamping of the system it just appeared, trying to change it to my own but all my pics are too large. Guess I will change it now to nothing.... THANKS BRYAN:) SEE KENNY ISN'T DEAD AFTER ALL.

Havasu Hangin'
11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Top 5 reasons to buy a jet:
5. You'll never have to worry about going over the speed limit at Lake Perris
4. Some Mr. Bubble and a swimming pool...two words- "foam party".
3. Owning a boat that can be disabled by a Hefty bag gives you a rush
2. You want to support OPEC, because they can use the money
and the number one reason to buy a jet boat...
1. Over-the-transom headers give great facial peels.

LakesOnly
11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Bryan Rose
Lakes Only...
After the re-vamping of the system it just appeared, trying to change it to my own but all my pics are too large. Guess I will change it now to nothing....
Yo Brian...just yankin' your chain, man...:D
Email me any picture of yours that you want and I'll happily reduce it to "avatar size" and send it back to you in 90 seconds or so...
LO
p.s. I am CORNHOLIO!!!! YEAH!YEAH!

LVjetboy
11-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Easy choice...
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/JetsRule.gif
Because Jets Rule!
jer

F N Fast
11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Love big engines, love the HP, love the way it feels when you mash the pedal! Just plain fun to drive.http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/post-7-1062465097.jpg

F N Fast
11-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Lets try that pic again

Riverdog1
11-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Rode in my first boat when I was 6 months old. It was a v-drive; a 15-foot wood 4 seater with a 327 Chevy.
Rode in my first jet in 1974, yes, I was 4. I was riding in the lap of my uncle at the delta and remember thinking we were not going fast enough so I put my foot on top of his and MASHED the gas. That was awesome. That was a 73 Wreight Maverick.
Pops bought several more boats including a 21 ft Tahiti Daycruiser (jet), but it wasn't until he bought his 79 Sundance that the whole group had cool jets. There would be 8 or 10 of us every weekend from March till November. That is a really cool picture, all those jets tied off in the same cove.
Yes, cool big ol motors
yes, chicks dig em
yes, acceleration
yes, manueverability
yes, fun to make them fast and beat most of the v-drives on the lake and then giggle
yes, safety (no prop scars)
No, reliability. There is no such thing as a suped up motor that you never have to wrench on
yes, I don't mind though
yes, if your jet has achieved an honest 80 (everyones jet goes 80 right?), you are the talk of the town.
Funny story: I was at the lake a few weeks back and this kid wanted to race. I asked him how fast he though he was going and he said "oh, I just beat a guy who goes 75". I had my gps with me so I swapped passengers and put him in my boat. I ran along side his boat for about 20 seconds or so and asked him to read to me what the gps said. 58.6 he says. I proceeded to show him what 75 felt like. I thought he was going to piss, so I giggled and showed him what 90 felt like. That shade of brown doesn't look good against my white interior.
There is something that brings out the pride when you make your jetboat go fast because they aren't supposed to according to all who own something other than a jet.

beached 1
11-05-2003, 10:15 PM
So I can go from Blythe to Lake Martinez (and back again) with no worries.

fourspeednup
11-05-2003, 10:27 PM
It was kind of an impulse thing.
-Never even rode in one before. much less driven!
-Did a little work on a guy's 79 sanger
- Found out local guy had been trying to get rid of one for a while and needed cash
Most importantly...
-Heard the OT's up close and been addicted ever since
Yeah, someday I'll get my 46 Skater with 3000+ hp. Until then, I'll stick with the squirters...:D

fourspeednup
11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Funny story: I was at the lake a few weeks back and this kid wanted to race. I asked him how fast he though he was going and he said "oh, I just beat a guy who goes 75". I had my gps with me so I swapped passengers and put him in my boat. I ran along side his boat for about 20 seconds or so and asked him to read to me what the gps said. 58.6 he says. I proceeded to show him what 75 felt like. I thought he was going to piss, so I giggled and showed him what 90 felt like. That shade of brown doesn't look good against my white interior.
Damn, you can race me any day so long as I get a ride in your boat. You can show me how slow mine is and then give me a ride at 90.:D
I bet the bugs hurt when you're going that quick:D :D

Cs19
11-05-2003, 10:36 PM
I bought a jet cause I grew up in the back seat of a southwind tunnell boat, and was always facinated about jet boats and big blocks since then. At the age of 11 I realized I was not going to be able to get a boat for some time so i got into jetskii racing for a few years(that was the closest I was going to get to a jetboat), before I knew it i was ready for a jetboat, so I begged my dad to sell me his southwind since at that time he had 2 jetboats, a 105 mph daytona and the 1980 southwind tunnell. Eventually I turned 21 and decided either he sells it to me, or im going to buy something else.Well once again he blew me off , so I did some research and went out and bought my daytona a few years later, keeping in mind my ultimate goal was to be faster than him.To say the least, he is going to have his hands full trying to keep up with me when i am all finished,but now we can both go boating togethor at the river in our own boats and I wont have to try and fit in that tiny back seat anymore.:D My goals are to build a boat that is able to run on the smooth parts of the river safely and I would like to do some bracket racing at ming when i have the funds for it.:D
Another reason is I really really want to race this one guy out by our place at the river in his cole flatbottom, he doesnt think jets can run hard..Hes on my list.:D

Riverdog1
11-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
Damn, you can race me any day so long as I get a ride in your boat. You can show me how slow mine is and then give me a ride at 90.:D
I bet the bugs hurt when you're going that quick:D :D What you drivin Fourspeednup? I used to think my old boat did 70 till I found out she went 55. Then I knew I had some work to do. I guess that's why jets are so fascinating. They seem like they go real fast. Got er to go 72 then I sold er.
I'm not quite at 90 yet, close though. That shade of brown still doesn't look good on my white upholstry. To this day, I get spooked when I am the passenger in that thing.
Oh, and the reason I bought my jet is...When I mash the gas I have multiple O's.:D :eek:
Oh ya, nothing is better than a nice heavy bee on the forehead. WOW! Got one of those last time out. Felt like someone shot me with a paint gun.

Aluminum Squirt
11-06-2003, 12:37 AM
I bought mine because its hard to run a prop in 4 inches of water or slide over a sand bar with one. Oh, and they sound cool-Aluminum Squirt

jboehm
11-06-2003, 05:31 AM
in the early eighties my parents would go to the lake about once a month. i remember waking up one morning and every camping spot was full of boaters. everytype of boat i could imagine. metal flake paint, chrome, big motors. many even had matching boats and trucks. the best part were the jets throwing rooster tails out on the lake. my dad told me some of it was a speed contest and some of it was who could throw the longest tail. i thought it was the coolest thing. 22 years later i finally have one of those boats.

Jbb
11-06-2003, 06:03 AM
Because chicks dig Jetboats!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0012-med.JPG

MAXIMUS
11-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Because chicks dig Jetboats!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/860DSCF0012-med.JPG
Yes and so does Barney!:D

mgar_red
11-06-2003, 10:01 AM
I was hooked from the first one I saw at age 10 in the 70's. Almost bought one from a college buddy of mine, but didn't have the money. Now after years at a career I finally got one before I get any older.
The need for speed came and went when I used to run the quarter mile on two wheels at 130. Now I'm happy to just cruise an old '78 Taylor and throw some tail.

fourspeednup
11-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Riverdog1
What you drivin Fourspeednup? I used to think my old boat did 70 till I found out she went 55. Then I knew I had some work to do. I guess that's why jets are so fascinating. They seem like they go real fast. Got er to go 72 then I sold er.
I'm not quite at 90 yet, close though. That shade of brown still doesn't look good on my white upholstry. To this day, I get spooked when I am the passenger in that thing.
Oh, and the reason I bought my jet is...When I mash the gas I have multiple O's.:D :eek:
Oh ya, nothing is better than a nice heavy bee on the forehead. WOW! Got one of those last time out. Felt like someone shot me with a paint gun.
I'm just over 60 now running alongside a boat w/ gps. I've got a 76 brendella w/ 455 olds Berk pump. To be honest, I've only had it wide open a couple times since it's my first boat and the first motor that I built myself.

11-06-2003, 02:08 PM
After breaking my share of "consumer type" boats over the last 30 years, I bought a jet because I can't afford to buy the special tools and get the education to work on an OB or IO. Can't afford to pay someone else to do it either.
There isn't one damn thing on my Taylor/Berk/Chevy I can't fix myself if it breaks, bottom line.
Lot's of other good reasons as well, but that's the one that made the deal. Going on the 4th season, and haven't looked back or second guessed that decision yet.

Bryan Rose
11-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Great reasons to have one from what I can see. Seems like there is a lot nostalgia involved in one way or another,brings back memories for ya does it?
I personally grew up in Fl. and had never really seen any let alone ride in one. Sure am glad I have one now though.........
Keep 'em coming.
Bryan
P.S. I need teeepeeee for my bunghole!

Mopar426
11-06-2003, 10:47 PM
After being owning outboards and sterndrives I knew there had to be something that delivered more pleasure than pain.
My first jet was a 76 Marage 18' with a 350 OLDS/Panther. Ran excellent for 5 years, then sold for college cash.
The second was a 79 Bahner 18' with a 468 Chevy w/ GMC 671 blower and pushed by a Berkeley JG. Fun boat. Friend borrowed it and left stereo on all night next day tried to jump start with cables reversed. Caught bilge fumes on fire then ran away and let it burn to the ground. (yes it was insured)
My current jet boat is a 75 Sleekcraft 23' that was well used and abused. I paid $2500.00 for it with a running 455 OLDS/ Jacuuzi set up. Since then i've put in a new floor, Berkeley JC blueprinted pump w/stainless imp. 1964 426 Chrysler max wedge engine built to the hilt. Adding new interior this winter. Went from a 40mph sluge to a repectable 58mph cruzer w/ 7 persons aboard. Currently building a 525 hemi for 2005. Boat has never been towed in to the dock, but have towed lots of sterndrives worth twenty times over the cost of my tank!!!
I would buy another jet any day. It's not how fast you get there, it's getting there without a tow rope!!!
:cool:

Jet Hydro
11-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Because the little man inside my head told me it looked cool "BUY IT"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/208Waco_By_KC-Lake_Rat-med.bmp

SabreJet 76
11-13-2003, 10:26 PM
When I was younger, always thought I'd own an outdrive or V-drive, like my friends had when we went out on the Delta. Time sure passes fast. Started doing the family thing with a friend in his jet boat. We spend lots of time on the Sac River. Depending on how much water they're letting out of Shasta, river varies every day. Deeper, shallower, more or less clearance over snags. Aslo, winter changes it every year. I've heard a couple thumps, on the bottom of my boat and my friends. Never stopped us. Actually, when I decided to buy the boat and I saw people were throwin' away jet boats to by fancier or faster boats, it became a deal too good to pass up.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=29452&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

BUSTI
11-14-2003, 12:39 PM
After 3 Rogers outboards, 1 Litchfield v-drive flatbottom, 2 Sanger v-drive flatbottoms, 1 Howard 21 v-drive daycruiser, 1 20.6 Eliminator v-drive Sport Cruiser, I decided to try a jet. So two years ago I purchased a 18.5 Sanger Super Jet amd fell in love with jet boating.
Why? Because all I do is turn the key and she runs all day. It has plenty of room for people and ski stuff and usually I dont have to worry about the rough water and I can run her all day. While with my flatties they looked cool on the trailer but at Parker I could only run them early am and late after noon maybe!
Several months ago my wife and I purchased a 1975 Spectra 20 jet boat and are in the process of refurbishing it to the max. I love my jet boat and can hardly wait to run the new deal next year!
Jets are by far the best all a round runabouts you can buy less than 21 feet. They offer reasonably good performance and you can run the wheels off them all day long and take them were you somtimes can't take prop driven boats. Not that I didn't like all my other boats cuz I DID! But for maximum utility and value a solid jet boat is the deal for me. Just my opinion after going to the River for the last 40 years. My brother, my father and I have owned over 30 boats between the 3 of us since 1963. My father has passed away and my brother and i both own jets now.
My 26 and 23 year old sons have v-drives and love them. How ever when they go to the sand bar or up to bars on the Parker Strip quess who's boat they take. What the f I'm still sittin on the beach and I own the jet!
Well thats my story and by the way I will only buy used or build it myself.

cyclone
11-14-2003, 10:06 PM
l1st. I learned to water skii at age 5 behind my parents 1971 Rogers and have lusted after my favorite jet boats ever since.
I finally restored my dream boat and have been having a blast ever since.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_4201-med.JPG
2nd. The ladies cant resist an obnoxiously loud and fast jet boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45DSCN8784-med.JPG
3rd and most important- nothing sounds cooler than the dry stracks screaming as i roost across lost lake on a saturday night.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45airedout.jpg

TRG
11-14-2003, 10:44 PM
well ive been after this boat since i was about 11 years old and now i have it, replicated it back the way that i remembered! i guess this is the first boat that ive ever owned on my own!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/662myboat-med.JPG

Moomawnster
11-15-2003, 02:21 AM
In 1987 my buddy went to the Baltimore boat show . The next weekend he recruited me to go pick up his "new baby" and I hitched it to his truck at the dealers ..... we went skiing that day and I had learn to drive it , [ no observer ] . Flash forward to Dec 23 1995 . I get a phone call asking "do you want to buy my boat ?" $3500 later I am driving across Moomaw on Christmas day in MY Tahiti ...... lovin life ! I really like being just the 2nd owner and getting to drive the whole time ! :cool:
Moo ........

bchbum
11-15-2003, 06:43 AM
We got our jet ,because We wanted a river boat that was turn key . I don't get much time-off so I don't want to spend vacation time wrenching . Plus the kids love the place on it .
You can't beat the sound of a bbc running on the water with a rooster tail flying behind it

sidewound
11-15-2003, 07:19 AM
A friend of mine had one for years on the missippi. I'd been in it, drove it numerous times. It was completly stock. and ROUGH!
I moved to N. Iowa and my bud stops for a visit one day. I start talkin about wanting to get a boat since we're on a lake now. I start sayin I'm gonna try to trade my old 69 sportster for some kiinda boat. He offers his 72 sidewinder in trade. DONE DEAL! The boat was here next weekend.
I figure it cost me 3K. Not too bad a deal until I blew it up the second year.:(
So now I've been through a complete driveline build and have learned a lot. I loved the way it sounded handled and looked.
That's it in a nutshell.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114DCP_2034_0001-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114100_0136-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114100_0009-med.jpg
Ya gotta love a boat with a hood scoop!:D :D
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

68 hallett
11-16-2003, 09:49 PM
mine is a 19.5 semi v its heavy but its fun

likeFATHERlikeSON3
11-18-2003, 09:59 AM
got mine to keep up the family tradition. also for the practicality of it and for the looks. that and the price was right

cyclone
11-18-2003, 03:28 PM
dave the day I see you driving a boat of your own, and dont confuse that toy boat you got now for a real one, is the day i start i start to see some sense in your jet boat wise cracks.
:D

HotHallet
11-18-2003, 03:31 PM
I like the versatility of a jet being shallow water friendly and being able to throw a huge ass rooster tail. Plus I grew up in a sterndrive and always wanted a jet as a kid. Now I got one.

cyclone
11-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Workin on it as we speak there Cyclone.. ;) :D
RD
i know i'm just f%ckin with ya.

1slowboat
11-18-2003, 06:05 PM
I bought my jet for a # of reasons........
1 i grew up on jets, thats all my dad would buy
2 sound of the hot rod motors
3 smoking bass boats to the fishing spots,( that kinda pissed em off)
4 the looks you get going to and from the lakes, kids pointing with there jaw dropped, gata love that
5 women love hot boats ( jets) and like to show it off to get a ride:D
6 safer than prop boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just my .02 worth and experiance

77468sleekcraft
11-18-2003, 10:19 PM
ITS ALL FOR THE BITCHES.....:D

Unchained
11-19-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Turn Key jetboat... LOL
More like How many times do you have to turn the key to get it to run.. LOL
RD
It's funny how the engine starting reliability seems to often get expanded to include the drive also.
"The engine wouldn't start in a jetboat so we put it in a Vdrive and she fired right up"
:rolleyes:

cyclone
11-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Unchained
It's funny how the engine starting reliability seems to often get expanded to include the drive also.
"The engine wouldn't start in a jetboat so we put it in a Vdrive and she fired right up"
:rolleyes:
now that's what i'm sayin.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
11-19-2003, 10:03 AM
I WAS LOOKING FOR A BOAT, REMEMBER MY UNCLE SAYING 30 YRS AGO SIDEWINDERS WERE FAST, BOUGHT IT, SAW IT WAS A BBC POWERED BERK. NOW EVERY DAY I REALIZE I WAS PRETTY LUCKY TO FIND A TURN KEY BOAT THAT HAS BEEN FLAWLESS OVER MY 6 YRS OF OWNING IT. BUT NOW I HAVE TO GET MORE SPEED SO MY QUEST FOR HI-PERF 502 PARTS IS GOING STRONG...BILL.

Riverdog1
06-02-2007, 10:50 PM
For a performance lake/river boat I would only have a Jet or V-drive, the reasons are simple, I have no interest in wrenching on an outboard or outdrive, they are completely uninteresting to me. I probably choose the jet because I had been skiing with friends that had them years before I bought my first, and I thought they were fun to drive, and the simplicity made sense. I Still haven't rode in a V-drive boat yet, but their every bit as cool as jet from a mechanical standpoint, someday I will have one, but my next boat will most likely be another jet (although a nice 4 seater 19' Sanger V-drive could lure me away).
I don't know where this old thread came from, but it should be simply put. PRIDE...Any one can make a v-drive go fast, but if you can go (legit) 80 mph in a jet, you've accomplished something.:D

zudnic
06-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I was not looking for a jet, most of my boating was in the Pacific Ocean and bought mine as an in-expensive means to get on the water fast. I've been saving and trying to sell some real estate for mid 90's Top Gun Cig. I however like "classic" lines and styling. Read Hot Boat looked at the back of the mag never read the articles though. Until owning respected the looks and style; today however I'm hooked and addicted. Even my Dad and Brothers have also been bitten, all have commented how much more fun a jet is over a stern drive.... In Offshore only one or two designs and manufacturers I really like in style, etc. Jets have yet to see one I not only like, want to own it as well.......... :)

76ANTHONY
06-03-2007, 11:09 AM
took a ride in my first boat in 2001 and said, thats it, gotta get one, its loud and fast, so i went out and bought my project boat, about 10,000 dollars later and about 400 scares later, wala the anthony was done. now im onto a daycruiser because jets are just easier and more fun to me....:D

Cheap Thrills
06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Damn :eek: RiverDog was diggin deep to bring this thread up. :D
My answer is the same as it was 3 years ago...
Momentary Lapse Of Better Judgement :D
I've had alot of fun with the Cheap Thrills Jet Project, but I'm ready for a Vdrive. Just to do something different.
C.T. :wink:

76ANTHONY
06-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I've had alot of fun with the Cheap Thrills Jet Project, but I'm ready for a Vdrive. Just to do something different.
no v-drive for me, i like rev when i need it and i gots kids that like to swim under the boat for some reason....so i'll stick with my slow daycruiser:D
but i am likin them tincan boats, but dam they cost alot:jawdrop: :D

Riverdog1
06-03-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't know where this thread came from. I did a search for something and it came up. I started reading and it was kinda cool, so I revived it. :D :D
I love jets, owned at least 4, and 3 at one time. My next will be a 19 Daytona--soon. I do love hydros though. I got to drive one 140mph about 3 years ago. Now, that was a rush...Just not a practical lake boat. My boat seats 4 and is fast (quick) enough to piss off alot of v-drive owners when I smoke'em. You can stand on it (a jet) and get 6500 rpm's in an instant. Their boat may be faster but they just can't beat me to the finish line. :D :D . I don't have anything against v-drives, it's kinda like Chevy guys vs. Ford guys.
I've toyed around with getting a lady magnet (like a 30'cat) but still can't get away from my jet boat. V-drives look sweet and so do jets, but my passion is in building the fast jets.

Mrs.Moose on the loose
06-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I love our Jet, the thrill is awesome, and I love the Rooster tail, you see that and it finishes the pic. But I would love to learn to drive a V-Drive, Hint hint to a few I know. But the Jets are beautiful to see across the water. I have to agree when you can get a Jet in the triple digits that is awesome and a Job well done. Thanks Moose your the bomb.:D

Cheap Thrills
06-03-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't know where this thread came from. I did a search for something and it came up. I started reading and it was kinda cool, so I revived it. :D :D
I love jets, owned at least 4, and 3 at one time. My next will be a 19 Daytona--soon. I do love hydros though. I got to drive one 140mph about 3 years ago. Now, that was a rush...Just not a practical lake boat. My boat seats 4 and is fast (quick) enough to piss off alot of v-drive owners when I smoke'em. You can stand on it (a jet) and get 6500 rpm's in an instant. Their boat may be faster but they just can't beat me to the finish line. :D :D . I don't have anything against v-drives, it's kinda like Chevy guys vs. Ford guys.
I've toyed around with getting a lady magnet (like a 30'cat) but still can't get away from my jet boat. V-drives look sweet and so do jets, but my passion is in building the fast jets.
I love my jet. There is no comparing the two where acceleration is concerned. But much like a Harley , it's one of those,
been there done that deals with me. I've had just about everything imaginable as far as boats go. big ones, little ones, fast ones, slow ones, some that floated and some that didn't :D everything except a Vdrive so I was looking into maybe building / buying a Vdrive Day Cruiser. Something with a nice cushy sleeper to lay down in for when this old man has had too much to drink and too much sun :D
A big roost from a Jet Boat will always be at #1 on the cool factor.

ck7684
06-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Well, we just dont have these hot rod boats around where I'm from. I grew up riding in tri-hulls. Me and a buddy were cruising around in search of some parts for his '69 Javelin and I seen this somewhat sleek boat with a jetdive poking out the back. We were in a hurry to get somewhere, but I said I wanted to stop back and have a look at it. When we went back, and I took a look under the engine hatch and seen a 454 I was pretty blown away. After calling the owner and going for a ride, there was no way I could NOT buy it!! Had to have it. It's been a blast ever since!!... until I got water in the oil and it seized up on me. :mad: I was in school at the time and couldnt afford to fix it, so it sat. Anyways, now I am in the process of getting it going again. All the other reasons are just bonuses and reasons I would stay with a jet. It may not be quite a sleek as most of 'em on here, but it's damn fast and looks great. Also, nobody really suspects a BBC is hiding under that cover, so it's cool to see the looks when I fire it up!! :D

bparsel1
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I just joined ***boat and I've really enjoyed reading up on this stuff.
I bought my Jet because it's still the sexiest boat I've ever seen. 1974' Glastron Carlson CV-21. Frickin' sweet.
Also......it belonged to my dad about 25 years ago. I found it in a backlot on pure luck after searching for one for years. It is now back in the family and the sound of that 455 sitting at the dock always puts a :D on my face.....and everyone else's that hears it.
Besides, when the guy next to me fires up his new fountain, and then I fire up that old Carlson, I love telling everyone that asks.........it's a '74.

RIVERTIME247
06-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Use To Go Lakes And And Ride In My Best Friends Dads Jetboats ...got Older Started Dating His Daughter And Use To Skip School And Sneak It To The Lakes Got Caught With Him Scream From The Shore And To This Day Every Time I Punch It I Can Hear Him Saying Come Back You Son Of A Biach Im Going To Kick Your Assr!
Had To Come In Soon Or Later....yep I Got My Butt Kicked ! My Best Friend Still Laughs About How He Told His Dad Where We Were So He Didnt Get His Ass Kicked.
Love Jet Boats .

widowmaker
06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
My dad let me drive the boat at lake powell in when I was 4. I'm now on my 4th boat, still have three of them and folks always wonder why I don't have any money, until they come to the lake with me, all I hear after is when are we going again.:)

jet guy
06-04-2007, 06:14 PM
This is my first boat my mom and dad had a 24' starcraft cabincruser with a 115 evenrude and could ski 4 kids or 3 adults we slept and ate on it it was great but my dads buddy had a taylor with a 396 2 4s on a tunnel ram. Nice boat, was the coolest boat I ever saw at 12 mom would make us go to chruch on sunday at the lake and I could hear that taylor running around the lake that was hell hearing that the whole service and I loved it that big chevy running around was the closest I may get to heaven. Also when someone asks me what kind of boat I have I love to say a jet boat:D