PDA

View Full Version : San Bernardino permit problems

wsuwrhr
11-05-2003, 07:44 AM
I was replying to the cleaning the garage thread and I had an idea. Maybe my ***boat pals can help me out on this one.
I went to the city yesterday to check on getting a permit to build onto my garage in the house we just bought in San Bernardino. We are in the city limits so I have to go through the city, and cannot go through the county, at least that is what I think.
The city's land use says I cannot have accesories to the house(garage) bigger than 50% of the footprint of the house. Since my house is 1000 sq that limits me to pretty much the garage I have now, which is unacceptable since I can't even close the door because the tongue sticks out of the garage.
Also in the land use booklet it mentioned that I can have a guest house no larger than 500 sq, I am wondering if I can call the extension of the garage a guest house.
One option is applying for a variance, which through reading, I am guessing has a good chance of not happening. All it takes is one neighbor to complain about the project, and it is over. Not to mention the variance hearing and process will cost me a 1000 dollars, which is non-refundable if I am turned down.
So after the long-winded post, :eek: :eek: :eek: I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems in San Bernardino, or elsewhere, that can give me some ideas on what I can do.
My lot size is 8000 sq so I am way under the 50% max coverage also.
Thanks in advance,
Brian

Outnumbered
11-05-2003, 10:43 AM
If your house is 1,000 sqft then I doubt your garage is more than 400 sqft or 20 x 20. If you extend the rear of your garage by 5 feet, 5 x 20, then you will be right at 50%. With a 25' deep garage, you should be able to get your boat in if its not too big. Another option would be to add a rear door to the garage. At least 9-10 feet wide so you can put your boat on a slab out back. Other than that, I would go for the variance. They are granted all the time and your neighbors would rather have your stuff in the garage than out in the front yard, right?
Good luck,
OL

eliminatedsprinter
11-05-2003, 10:55 AM
This kind of stuff pisses me off. :mad: I know there are all sorts of sheepish rationalizations as to why your local gov can get away with dictating what you can do with your own home in such a petty way. But the more I hear them the lamer they sound to me.:rolleyes:

wsuwrhr
11-05-2003, 05:38 PM
bump
next stop hot spots west

Rocket2003
11-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Go for the variance! The chance's of the people that vote on it, voting against you are very slim!
You will probably get it, As long as you have all your "Ducks in a row" and show up to the meetings on it!
But, I would start with the Builders Association and get them to guide you to the right people!
My $.02

Mandelon
11-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Obviously the problem here involves actually getting the permit. Simply skip that part and live happily ever after.......Maybe.
It sounds like you have to add on to the house before you can add much on to the garage????

Jordy
11-06-2003, 08:31 AM
You should be in Phoenix. Apparently you can build whatever the **** you want regardless of the surrounding neighborhood. Take my neighbor for example, this jackass is adding on a garage/living area to his house. His house, like every house in the neighborhood is single story. This gargage deal is tall enough for his motorhome, not a big deal, but then has living area on top of it. We're talking about a structure that is 30' tall. It's the tallest thing in the neighborhood. I called the city about it and their response was "as long as it's under 30' it's fine." I asked if they do any research, or take into consideration what the surrounding area is like, and they don't. Just as long as the area is zoned residental you can build up to 30' and I'm hoping this clown is over that. He was over 24' before he trussed it.
Sorry about the rant, but good luck. :D

Blown 472
11-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Sheeet that is the norm here, have to have the tallest f'ing house on the the block, some of them have 20 feet of dead space in the trusses. I think it is a little dick thing.

MsDrmr
11-06-2003, 08:49 AM
Sounds like us, our garage is too small for my hubbys 21ft with trailer. Problem for us is, we cant even extend our garage so we are left with putting it in storage. Good luck with your project.