PDA

View Full Version : Just lost my job...

Some Kind Of Monster
03-22-2006, 06:22 PM
I got laid (I wish) off due to funding, but that's ok because I have been planning on going back into business for myself! It will be hard getting things going again, but I just have to have confidence in myself and my work. My 10 years experience in the field speaks for itself! Anyway I thought I would spread the word to the ***boaters in case I can help someone out.
I do mostly laptop repair. I repair physical damage: broken screens, broken power jacks, spilled drinks, won't turn on, etc etc.
I also do standard computer repair, but I will now be doing mostly laptops and networking. I know there aren't many people doing this and most shops tell clients they are SOL when the truth is they can have their laptops fixed.
You ***boaters are the best so hopefully I can help someone out while getting my business venture back under way!

Redwing247
03-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Things happened for a reason, good luck to you.

Mrs.Racer277
03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Best of luck to you.
I know we are a long way from you but Racer277 is in the "business" he will stay in touch with you and keep his eyes and ears open.

Some Kind Of Monster
03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Best of luck to you.
I know we are a long way from you but Racer277 is in the "business" he will stay in touch with you and keep his eyes and ears open.
Why thank you! I have no problem traveling! :)

socaldj1
03-22-2006, 07:40 PM
I have 3 or 4 lapops that have isues. they have been sitting in my closet for a year or so. Your welcome to them if you can get them up and running. You can then sell them for what ever.

Some Kind Of Monster
03-22-2006, 08:15 PM
SOCALDJ1 Check your PMs :)

boatsnblondes
03-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Can you fix an apple laptop?? The screen has torn off from the laptop itself, it needs a new case, it's a very important laptop because on the HD is the slide presentation I did for my wife at our wedding, she would desperatly love to have it on DVD....let me know...

H20 Toie
03-22-2006, 09:56 PM
hey good atititude i qut my job after 17 yrs an dstarted my own company and look whre is go tme. ok not a good exampke it go t me to the point of dinking an d aworiking in denver but wha the hell i had a good riun any how and i t is cold in denver ant the coyote ugly bar sucked but th ebowling ally wa sfun and the berr is cheap
good luck dide

Parker Dreamin
03-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Good luck brother. Things happen for a reason. Try hard and you will do good

Some Kind Of Monster
03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Boatsnblondes - check your PMs. I fix it all!

Some Kind Of Monster
03-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! It sure does help.

HCS
03-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Good luck and get to work.

MagicMtnDan
03-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I got laid (I wish) off due to funding, but that's ok because I have been planning on going back into business for myself! It will be hard getting things going again, but I just have to have confidence in myself and my work. My 10 years experience in the field speaks for itself! Anyway I thought I would spread the word to the ***boaters in case I can help someone out.
I do mostly laptop repair. I repair physical damage: broken screens, broken power jacks, spilled drinks, won't turn on, etc etc.
I also do standard computer repair, but I will now be doing mostly laptops and networking. I know there aren't many people doing this and most shops tell clients they are SOL when the truth is they can have their laptops fixed.
You ***boaters are the best so hopefully I can help someone out while getting my business venture back under way!
Dude, here's a suggestion for you: Subscribe to the trade publication "CE Pro" (Google it and find it online). It's a free subscription. Then read it every month. Then find local high end home theater companies and those that sell to businesses too (custom A/V conference rooms, etc.). All those companies are looking for top notch IT guys to deal with the convergence and customer installation and support issues. You shouldn't have to pull wires - they'll get others to do that. They'll need you to deal with networking, programming gear and dealing with customer support issues.
Lots of money to be made for a good guy who works as a consultant.
Good luck!

Wake Havasu
03-22-2006, 11:01 PM
hey good atititude i qut my job after 17 yrs an dstarted my own company and look whre is go tme. ok not a good exampke it go t me to the point of dinking an d aworiking in denver but wha the hell i had a good riun any how and i t is cold in denver ant the coyote ugly bar sucked but th ebowling ally wa sfun and the berr is cheap
good luck dide
LMAO!
:rollside:

JetBoatRich
03-23-2006, 04:46 AM
good luck dide
yea, what he said :rolleyes:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Wish you were closer. I suppose if I ever need your services, I could always FedEx it back and forth. Best wishes in your new venture!

mbrown2
03-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Check your PM's..

2Driver
03-23-2006, 08:14 AM
hey good atititude i qut my job after 17 yrs an dstarted my own company and look whre is go tme. ok not a good exampke it go t me to the point of dinking an d aworiking in denver but wha the hell i had a good riun any how and i t is cold in denver ant the coyote ugly bar sucked but th ebowling ally wa sfun and the berr is cheap good luck dide
Maibe he culd fx yor sticky kee-bored problem or....
Try typing in an e-mail program, spell check it, correct it, then cut and paste into HBF :rollside: :)

Jordy
03-23-2006, 08:33 AM
A sticky keyboard isn't the issue here. ;)
Hey Dan, perhaps he could wire a breathalyzer into your keyboard to prevent posts like this one. :D

2Driver
03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
A sticky keyboard isn't the issue here. ;)
Hey Dan, perhaps he could wire a breathalyzer into your keyboard to prevent posts like this one. :D
Or go to www.Dsyslexia.moc :D

HBjet
03-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Sorry to hear that... I know the feeling of being laid off due to funding.... sucks. Everything eventually worked out for the best and I am working with a great company.... So good luck...
Oh, and can you fix the retractable drink holder on my PC? Thanks! :p
HBjet

Some Kind Of Monster
03-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Sorry to hear that... I know the feeling of being laid off due to funding.... sucks. Everything eventually worked out for the best and I am working with a great company.... So good luck...
Oh, and can you fix the retractable drink holder on my PC? Thanks! :p
HBjet
I sure can!
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/601/
On a side note I actually was marketing cd rom drink holders (made from dead cd drives) for awhile. I think I still have some if you want one :rollside:

USCFAN
03-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I have a dell laptop that doesnt work due to the power cord being ripped out while charging. I called a couple of shops and they said I was SOL, is that something you can repair and if so how can I get in contact with you?

Some Kind Of Monster
03-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a dell laptop that doesnt work due to the power cord being ripped out while charging. I called a couple of shops and they said I was SOL, is that something you can repair and if so how can I get in contact with you?
I have repaired many, many, many of those. This is the most common physical damage caused to laptops beside a broken lcd. Also be careful with those 1100 and 5100 series Dells. There are known issues with them that CAN be prevented. I will shoot you a PM or you can get me at 480-205-9586

Wake Havasu
03-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Try typing in an e-mail program, spell check it, correct it, then cut and paste into HBF :rollside: :)
If he would stop going to SpankMe.com his keyboard would not be so "sticky".

shueman
03-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Good luck with the new career.... :cool:

Some Kind Of Monster
03-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Good luck with the new career.... :cool:
Thanks buddy!
It's not a new career. Same thing I have been doing forever, just doing it for myself and taking it to the next level!

marty722
03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
After 12 yrs in the IT business and I helped a buddy grow his business he had the balls to lay me off. Look at the other side of it. IT WILL WORK OUT FOR YOU. I also went on my own for awhile but had a hard time with the benefits for the family. You just can't get lazy and the good part is your going to make money for yourself and not for some slim bucket that lives in a big house and drives a nice car. ( you can end up being that slim bucket) Just don't give up as you know the IT business has its ups and downs so stick with a plan (sometimes you may have to adjust) but go for it. There are alot of IT people out there but most of them aren't worth a crap. Part of it is selling yourself and making sure you stand behind your service. I found out that people will call you back (even if your alittle higher on price) because you give them great service. Go for it and Good luck!!!!!!!
Marty

RVRKID
03-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Good Luck!! If you need any parts for the laptops let me know, I run a distributor in southern Cal for computer hardware. www.jenkco.com or email me at chris@jenkco.com, I will get you terms and get you rollin....

H20 Toie
03-23-2006, 10:51 PM
A word of caution do not go into business with your wife. ( i know)

spectratoad
03-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Good Luck on the new venture. It is all about finding that niche.
Here is an Idea someone posted awhile back.
Get a Yob (http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=37062)

Some Kind Of Monster
03-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Good Luck!! If you need any parts for the laptops let me know, I run a distributor in southern Cal for computer hardware. www.jenkco.com or email me at chris@jenkco.com, I will get you terms and get you rollin....
Thanks man, I sent you an e-mail with a request.
I have a couple of unique ideas that I will throw out to you guys in the near future. I think they are products that the ***boat community will NEED to have! I am almost done with my prototype design. I will patent it and then see what you think!