PDA

View Full Version : Drake Pumps

78Eliminator
11-05-2003, 08:31 AM
When I was last driving the Schiada with the Drake pump, I could hear the pump kind of moan like the impeller shaft was grinding against something. It sounded kind of like when a crank bearing is failing. Anyway, it only happened in reverse for some odd reason.
There are some zerk fittings on the top of the pump and I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of grease and how much to pump in there. The boat was sitting a little while before I ran it and it probably could use a lube. Any info appreciated.
Justin

AZKC
11-05-2003, 08:44 AM
I use the stuff that BG sells, but I would think any high temp bearing grease would be fine.
KC

flat broke
11-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Justin,
I think you'll probalby want to check with Jordo to see what kind of lube he was running in order to keep the base component of whatever grease you run the same. For the bearings on Berks, you would run a good lithium based lube, but without knowing what was in there before, there could be some issues. If the grease goes into a cavity you can clean out, purge the cavity and run whatever grease you like.
You also might want to call Jack or Jim Brock and see what they know about those pumps. I know that Jim Brock has some spare parts available if the need ever arises.
Good luck,
Chris

78Eliminator
11-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Well Jordy????
Let me know. I am taking my girlfriend and her little sister out to Elsinore this weekend and want to lube the pump before I go....

pops1
11-05-2003, 11:26 AM
Be aware-your bearing may already be gone, Hope not-Look for shaft play. Dave

Jordy
11-05-2003, 03:54 PM
I always ran a good red moly grease in there, the nasty chewy bubble gum kind of stuff. That pump is a strage duck, in that, there are no bearings in the housing behind the impeller, that is, on the nozzle end. It's got a big brass bushing with a hard neoprene kind of material that lines the bushing. I was told never ever run that pump out of water or you'll burn that bushing material up. The zerk on the top of the pump outside the boat goes right down into that bushing.