PDA

View Full Version : leaving for Tahiti sunday.

little rowe boat
11-05-2003, 07:34 PM
We are flying out sunday for a 10 day cruise in the south pacific.I think we will see 7 different ports of call.We are planning on some shore excursions and whatever else that might look interesting and fun. Has anyone been to tahiti and if so,any suggestions on what to see or where to go ? Thanks Jeff.:cool:

NashvilleBound
11-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Where to begin....You will have a killer time tho Tahiti is like a little TJ. The only thing on Tahiti is a diner on top of a mountain that takes a jeep ride from hell to get to. Make sure you do this. Sunday the whole town is shut down so Monday make sure you hit the local market place. The people are very friendly. Bora Bora is a good stop and lots to do. Feed the sharks in the lagoon if you get a chance. Kind of Boring Boring if your looking for excitement. We wanted peace and quiet and it was perfect! I forget the name of the island that was party central...almost 40 ya know :rolleyes: ,
Each island has its own theme. Take the bike rides...tours and whatever you can do..oh, and bring a underwater camera. They even make disposable ones now...the water is very clear. Get Certified for scuba if you can before you go too. They offer lots of scuba time.
Enjoy,
Jeff aka NashvilleBound

burtandnancy
11-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Yes, wife and I went with two other couples, on the Renisaunce R4, but they went BK. Unbelievable trip, 5 islands in 10 days. Don't know what cruise line is being used today, but those islands are great stops, but like said above, not exciting, just beautiful. Bloody Marys Bar (forget which island) is worth a long lunch stop (be sure to use the mens room). Have fun...

little rowe boat
11-07-2003, 12:37 PM
The ship is the Tahitian Princess.This ship use to be owned by Renaisance.The ship is fairly small only 600 passengers.I am looking forward to just relaxing and taking it all in.:D

Craig
11-07-2003, 04:19 PM
You'll have a blast! We went to Moorea and Bora Bora summer of 2002 :) Rent a car and drive around the island. Moorea's only about 35 miles around. There's a waterfall in the center that's cool. Bora Bora, laid back! Car deal again, 20 mile around. 4X4 Jeep tour is a blast. They take you to some old WWII guns mounted up on the mountains through some thick jungle and some other stuff. If you get a chance check out Bloody Marys restaraunt.
Craig

little rowe boat
11-07-2003, 06:12 PM
We were considering the 4x4 tour.maybe now we will go ahead and ink it on the calender.Is Bloody Mary's in Bora Bora ?:cool:

JetBoatRich
11-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Go have a great time and take pictures to share;)

Craig
11-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by little rowe boat
We were considering the 4x4 tour.maybe now we will go ahead and ink it on the calender.Is Bloody Mary's in Bora Bora ?:cool:
Yes, Bloody Mary's is on Bora Bora. The 4X4 tour was a blast
Here's one of the guns, they never saw the Japanese:) Could have had a worse assignment
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/140gun-med.jpg
Another view from themountain on Bora Bora
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/140bora1-med.jpg
From one of the small islands around Moorea called a "motu"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/140boat-med.jpg
Some of the over water bungalow's. This was Moorea.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/140bungalo-med.jpg

RJ Nordic
11-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Did the South Pacific thing 3 times in the 80's. Bora Bora is the best. Forget the car, take a bike ride. Check out the art museum. Pick up/bring home a hand carved wooden art piece. Stop at Hotel Bora Bora and have dinner if possible, allow 3 -4 hours cause they treat you right.
Papette is a lot more busy. The La Truck is a fun thing to take for getting around. Their verson of mass transit.
Riataa (sp) is a quiet island. The beaches are great. Snorkel in the lagoons and enjoy the fish.
If you stay in an over the water bungalow they usually have a light that you can turn on at night and the manta rays will come towards it and do a beautiful act for a little bread.
Speaking of food. Most folks just get some wine, french bread,cheese for lunches.
Damn this makes me want to go back next summer.
:D :D Enjoy and take lots of pictures.

al cole'holic
11-07-2003, 09:46 PM
Check out California Burger, my pineapple head buddy owns it! :D

Kilrtoy
11-07-2003, 11:02 PM
can u take us with you

Craig
11-08-2003, 03:28 AM
RJ Nordic reminded me of the table. Each bungalow has one of these tables. The top rolls back and you toss some bread they keep at the begining of the pier in the water. All kinds of fish come up to it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/140table-med.jpg
Damn, now I want to go back as well! We actually did too much stuff. Had all the honeymoon stuff that came with the package and then tossed in our open water dives for our scuba certification. Did 3 dives at Moorea and 3 at Bora Bora Never had much time to just kick back and do nothing!

LASERRAY
11-08-2003, 06:46 AM
The wife and I did 10 days, 3 islands in 1998. Had Overwater Bungalows on BORA BORA, and MOOREA and a Beach Bungalow on Huahine. Stayed at the Sofitel Hotels on each, It was Awsome.
Bora Bora was by far the most beautiful island. Good 4x4 excursion here. And the circle island lagoon tour is awsome. If you have an overnight in Bora Bora, go to Bloody Mary's for Dinner, it's a must. It is the finest seafood anywhere in French Polynesia. You may see someone (or two, or three) famous in there. You'll like the bathroom too. Also check out the celebrity signage out front, And be sure to buy some Cuban cigars.
Really enjoyed Huahine for the remote feel and lack of peeps. Locals were the friendliest here. Take the circle island Lagoon tour for sure. Huge breakers on this Island for surfing.
Liked Moorea but not as much as the other islands. Locals were not as friendly either. I got some ink done at the village by the tribe leader. (Tahitans invented the tattoo) He asked me in broken english if i wanted the sharktooth or electric pen, I opted for the pen. The 4x4 tour on this island is good too.
As someone else stated, if you're looking for nightlife, you're in the wrong place. They do in fact roll-up the sidewalks at dark.
Have fun and bon voyage.

little rowe boat
11-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Thanks for all the advise, it all sounds like fun.We will go to Bloody Mary's.and try to do some of the other suggested tours. This was all planned out 6 months ago ,it's hard to believe that the day to leave on vacation has finally arrived. Man oh man do I need this vacation. Thanks again to everyone who offered up some advise or a suggestion,I will be off the boards until the 25th of Nov. Talk to ya later.:cool:

LASERRAY
11-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Makes me wanna go back. :cool: :cool: :cool:

little rowe boat
12-01-2003, 05:37 PM
The cruise was a blast.We saw some of the beauty of the south pacific.Very primitive culture's but very friendly. We enjoyed Bora Bora the most.We took the 4x4 tour and saw many of the islands highlites,went to Bloody Mary's,wow very unique. Thanks again for the advise. Jeff.:cool: