PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter ?

Waldo
11-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Okay, so I am changing the oil in my boat this weekend and have a stoooopid question. I've changed the oil in our vehicles and toys a million times; however, I've never done it on our boat. Instead of taking the oil filter off and going to the parts or marine store to get ripped off...does anyone know a part number for a Fram or other oil filter that fits a Mercury 350 mag (EFI)???
Thanks.

mickeyfinn
11-06-2003, 03:28 PM
First off stay away from the fram. Spend the extra coin and get a wix. Don't hold me to it but I believe the wix number is a 51069. Just take the old filter off and go to www.wixfilters.com and cross reference whatever make filter you have to the wix number.

H2OT PURSUIT
11-06-2003, 10:46 PM
WIX,WIX,WIX,WIX, AMEN.

Mopar426
11-06-2003, 10:59 PM
Wix is a good of the shelf filter. I steer clear of paper pleated filters. Hastings makes a great glass media filter and even better to run the bypass filter to catch water and acids. This is ultimate protection, but isn't a low cost alternative to OEM.

Waldo
11-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Sounds like the Wix is a good way to go.
Baum automotive in Mission Viejo carries Wix. They don't stock the marine ones normally, but the guy on the phone said he'd order it and would have it 2pm today. Pretty nice. I will be picking it up today on my way home from work.
On the Wix website, they have a reference chart for Mercruiser motors, I couldn't find one on the others. The 51069 is the appropriate on for the 5.7 SBC.
Would you also recommend Wix for my truck and SUV? I am assuming yes.
Thanks for the advice.

Just Tool'n
11-07-2003, 09:30 PM
Stay away from Frams. Put one on in August, would not build any oil pressure. It was one of there High Perf filters.
Went back to a High perf baldwin, I have allways had very good luck with Baldwin Filters.
Just my .02 worth

Bondo
11-08-2003, 07:57 AM
A Somewhat Commonly Known Fact is,
NAPA Filters are Wix Filters........
NAPA part #s are the Last 4 Digits of the Wix #s......
And, Yes, I vote for Wix too.........

promod
11-08-2003, 09:39 AM
wix all the way the carquest number is 85069 is the short chev filter and the stock one is 85060 or the racing one is the 185060 the racing filter lets it build about ten more pounds or pres.
thought i help ya out but wix is the only filter i would recommend i have been to alot of simiars on filter and wix comes out on top every time in every aspect also wix was the first ever filter manuf.
later:rolleyes: :D :p nothing like alcohol fums in the morning

cheech
11-11-2003, 09:36 PM
buy a system 1 filter, the housing is alum, you can remove the bottom cap and remove the filter (stainless) inspect for wear,clean it and put it back together. and you don't have to hid it in your trash.

Dr. Eagle
11-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Just Tool'n
Stay away from Frams. Put one on in August, would not build any oil pressure. It was one of there High Perf filters.
Went back to a High perf baldwin, I have allways had very good luck with Baldwin Filters.
Just my .02 worth
I know the frams are pretty cheezey filters.
I use the K&N Gold filter myself. I have been very happy with the quality...

Rexone
11-12-2003, 01:26 AM
K&N, Baldwin, Wix are premium quality filters. Fram screws on that's about it.
K&N are great in boats because they have the hex wrench fitting on the bottom for easy removal in tight spots.
Link to oil filter study (http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html)
Link to oil filter study overview (http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters.html)

BOBALOO
11-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Gotta agree on not doin the fram. This 4th of july I had a fresh fram filter on my 454 and as soon as I started it I had no oil pressure at idle. Only had 25 psi at 3000 rpm, no noise so I kept running. Needless to say I saved the 4 day vacation but ruined my engine. When i cut the filter open the inside was pinched together. Go WIX.

SuperWrench0166
11-13-2003, 03:17 AM
there is only one filter company owned by a engine company and i am suprised no one has mentioned it it is the best filter i have found yett and i have used most every one
FLEETGAURD