PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel in gas tanks - help!

summerlove
08-19-2002, 04:24 PM
OK, guys (and gear head gals), I need help. Here's the deal: I manage a houseboat on lake powell for 25 owners. I do this because when it's my turn I want everything to work out right. Here's the problem. One of our owners refueled at the gas dock on Saturday morning, and put 8 gallons of diesel in the port tank, then realized what he had done, and switched to regular gasoline. He filled the tank to its 100 gal capacity. The engine is a 350 mercruiser, not efi. The mechanic isolated the port tank and now both engines run off the starboard tank. I'm not sure what to do - run the engine with a 9:1 mixture of fuel to diesel, drain the tanks (pulling the boat from the water is required - about a $1,000 job in total), or do something else. Any ideas. I really appreciate your advice, and sorry for the length of the message. You can visit the boat by going here: www.rainbowwarriorinc.com (http://www.rainbowwarriorinc.com)
Thanks,
Rick

73kona455
08-19-2002, 05:08 PM
just run it.. that shouldnt be enough to cause any problems

LCexplorer
08-20-2002, 12:10 PM
I agree it shouldn't be a problem for a carbed engine. It will smoke a lot but will probably run. Now if it where efi'd, I'd be really hesitiant on running it. Just keep an eye on the temp gauge and make sure you run some carb cleaner/additive on the next tank. Have I gone through this before.... :rolleyes: :D ,let's just say I talk from experience.
[ August 20, 2002, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: LCexplorer ]

jsmagnum
08-21-2002, 07:37 PM
Run the engine untill the tank is half full then fill it with low octane fuel. The diesel will only cause the gas to burn less efficient. When your done emptying the tank change the plugs.