PDA

View Full Version : know you're in California when......

jackpunx
11-07-2003, 09:11 AM
1. Your coworker has 8 body piercings and none are visible.
2. You make over $300,000 and still can't afford a house.
3. You take a bus and are shocked at two people carrying on a
conversation in English.
4. Your child's 3rd-grade teacher has purple hair, a nose ring, and is
named Breeze.
5. You can't remember... is pot illegal?
6. You've been to a baby shower that has two mothers and a sperm
donor.
7. You have a very strong opinion about where your coffee beans are
grown, and you can taste the difference between Sumatran and
Ethiopian.
8. You know which restaurant serves the freshest arugula.
9. You can't remember...is pot illegal?
10. A really great parking space can totally move you to tears.
11. A low speed police pursuit will interrupt ANY TV broadcast.
12. Gas costs $1.00 per gallon more than anywhere else in the U.S.
13. A man gets on the bus in full leather regalia and chaps. You
don't even notice.
14. Unlike back home, the guy at 8:30 am at Starbucks wearing the
baseball cap and sunglasses who looks like George Clooney really IS
George Clooney.
15. Your car insurance costs as much as your house payment.
16. Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, the woman
who delivers your mail and your Mary Kay rep are guys in drag.
17. You can't remember... is pot illegal?
18. It's barely sprinkling rain and there's a report on every news
station: "STORM WATCH 2003."
19. You have to leave the big company meeting early because Billy
Blanks himself is teaching the 4:00pm Tae Bo class.
20. You pass an elementary school playground and the children are all
busy on their cell phones.
21. It's barely sprinkling rain outside, so you leave for work an
hour early to avoid all the weather-related accidents.
22. Both you AND your pet have therapists.
23. You can't remember... is pot illegal?

MsDrmr
11-07-2003, 09:33 AM
True, but when you have lived in Calif all your life, how would you know anything different. I have family back east that visited a few years back and L. A. scared the shit outa them.

gigamurph
11-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by mrsdrmr
True, but when you have lived in Calif all your life, how would you know anything different. I have family back east that visited a few years back and L. A. scared the shit outa them. mrsdrmr; are your relatives from Chicago? Now that is a scary town! Was there on business back in '95 so myself and a colleague decided to go out and check the place out. First wrong move was goin' downtown! Holy crap! The second wrong move was gettin' on the wrong "El" line and as I'm sittin' there, I realize that we are the whitest things that most of our fellow passengers have probably seen that day! As were sittin' there, I'm tryin' to be cool (which BTW, the people were real cool, though not very friendly) and my friend (who happens to be of Mexican decent) is scared s**tless! I told him to relax; that HE didn't have a thing to worry about; that he could probably convince them, at the very least, that he was Puerto Rican! Now for the white guy? I'm toast! There was a street, Harlam Street, that cracked me up! On one side of the street you would see nice restaraunts, $50,000 cars, and people in suits and gowns! Cross the street and it looked like a warzone. Burned out cars, gutted buildings, and pimps'n'hos as far as the eye could see!.....and don't get me started on the alleyways that had trash in them that Benjamin Franklin had left there! Swear to God; there were garbage piles in alleyways behind Wrigley Field that were three stories high! Wonder why they don't show that durin' a Cubbies game? I made the comment about wonderin' how many dead bodies were probably buried under there and to this day,my colleague still gripes about me scarin' the s**t outta him in Chicago! Oh; and we go down to the waterfront for lunch and I wanna get a hoagie or Chicago-style pizza and this goof wants to eat at McDonald's! Yep! The same McDonald's that is two blocks from his house! Now I like McDonald's; but I figured that that may be my one and only visit to Chicago; so he ate alone that day!:D

gigamurph
11-07-2003, 10:12 AM
BTW; I can't remember.....is pot legal?:p

MsDrmr
11-07-2003, 10:27 AM
No but I can see your point. I am not sure if this is worse, but all my relatives are from Iowa....talk about WHITE,,,yikes,,,,ya just hope they wear pants when they visit.

NorCal Gameshow
11-07-2003, 10:31 AM
we're gonna get a little rain and the local news breaks out the
"STORM WATCH" bit :rolleyes:

MsDrmr
11-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Forgot to add...
there are Californians who are white as ghosts as well, I dont tan in a booth, but usually I am sort of tan as I do have a lot of indian in me.(cherokee). But yeah the steets of hollywood, beverly hills, and other surrounding areas can be frightening. I don't travel the areas by myself cause I don't pack a gun. And the bus system hell no. I am not that crazy.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by gigamurph
mrsdrmr; are your relatives from Chicago? Now that is a scary town! Was there on business back in '95 so myself and a colleague decided to go out and check the place out. First wrong move was goin' downtown! Holy crap! The second wrong move was gettin' on the wrong "El" line and as I'm sittin' there, I realize that we are the whitest things that most of our fellow passengers have probably seen that day! As were sittin' there, I'm tryin' to be cool (which BTW, the people were real cool, though not very friendly) and my friend (who happens to be of Mexican decent) is scared s**tless! I told him to relax; that HE didn't have a thing to worry about; that he could probably convince them, at the very least, that he was Puerto Rican! Now for the white guy? I'm toast! There was a street, Harlam Street, that cracked me up! On one side of the street you would see nice restaraunts, $50,000 cars, and people in suits and gowns! Cross the street and it looked like a warzone. Burned out cars, gutted buildings, and pimps'n'hos as far as the eye could see!.....and don't get me started on the alleyways that had trash in them that Benjamin Franklin had left there! Swear to God; there were garbage piles in alleyways behind Wrigley Field that were three stories high! Wonder why they don't show that durin' a Cubbies game? I made the comment about wonderin' how many dead bodies were probably buried under there and to this day,my colleague still gripes about me scarin' the s**t outta him in Chicago! Oh; and we go down to the waterfront for lunch and I wanna get a hoagie or Chicago-style pizza and this goof wants to eat at McDonald's! Yep! The same McDonald's that is two blocks from his house! Now I like McDonald's; but I figured that that may be my one and only visit to Chicago; so he ate alone that day!:D
Hey Gig,
I was born is Chicago, moved to San Diego when I was 6 yrs. old but went back to visit a few years ago. Place is crazy huh? I too was scared on the "El". The thing that tripped me out was how the intersections downtown have streets coming from 7 different directions. :confused: :confused:
The one really cool thing I discovered is every bar I walked into handed me a shot of some sort after checking my I.D. :D :D
Linda

jackpunx
11-07-2003, 10:44 AM
The one really cool thing I discovered is every bar I walked into handed me a shot of some sort after checking my I.D.
FYI.. that dosnt happen to everyone:D

gigamurph
11-07-2003, 11:11 AM
"The one really cool thing I discovered is every bar I walked into handed me a shot of some sort after checking my I.D."-Mrs. Bordsmnj
Hey doll! I wouldn't know! it must be nice to have a BIG pair of.....eyes! ;) Yeah; this white boy spent most of his time at the Hilton (company payed for the rooms or I would have been stayin' at "Jamaal's Notel 69" where they charge for the rooms by the stroke.....of the second hand.....uh.....minute hand.....uh.....nevermind!) and emptied the "In-Room" snackbar! :rolleyes:

78Eliminator
11-07-2003, 11:57 AM
90% of California are a bunch of transplants from out of state. If we took all the rejects that come from the midwest and back east and sent them back with their asses kicked, this place would be a lot better. Problem is, they would have a better chance to get their asses beat in their redneck home town. It pisses me off that people think CA is a scary place. To me the south is a scary place. Any place where you can go and get beat or killed because of your race or religion is scary.
78 "Born and rasied in CA" Eliminator

Blown 472
11-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
90% of California are a bunch of transplants from out of state. If we took all the rejects that come from the midwest and back east and sent them back with their asses kicked, this place would be a lot better. Problem is, they would have a better chance to get their asses beat in their redneck home town. It pisses me off that people think CA is a scary place. To me the south is a scary place. Any place where you can go and get beat or killed because of your race or religion is scary.
78 "Born and rasied in CA" Eliminator
That is because tv shows ca as nothing but beaches and sunshine. No shit on the south, they can have it, backward ass country ****s.

mirvin
11-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Yessiirrrrreeeebob!
M "born and raised in Socal" irvin (even though 78 musta thunk I's frum sumwhere's else)
Blown, the problem isn't that the tv shows it, it's that it really is all sunshine and beaches!!

jackpunx
11-07-2003, 12:55 PM
yup.. and Marcus, .. we'll be seeing them this weekend.. Hope your trip goes well.. is it mamoth this weekend?

Hotcrusader76
11-07-2003, 01:05 PM
2. You make over $300,000 and still can't afford a house.
Isn't that the truth!
aka HotCrusader"born and raised in Socal"76
IMHO...I've seen both sides of the fence with the South and Socal and neither one is greener than the other. Sure homes are cheap in the mid-west and life is slow and easy, but if you're easily bored with normal life...than stay in Socal.
In Texas the weather changes daily and people stay the same no matter how long you've been away. California is just the opposite.

Bang Bus
11-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Well, I wasn't born here. I can tell you this, the girls in California are a bunch of loose as a goose sluts! I love it here!!!!!!!

gigamurph
11-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
78 "Born and rasied in CA" Eliminator This paid politiical announcement was funded by the "Let's Keep California Clean and Our Minds Dirty" campaign! Yep; gotta agree with ya 78E! The South is pretty scary! Anyplace ya can have a family reunion and only have one mom and dad for the whole bunch show up and all the wives answer to the name "Sis" is scary indeed! The only problem is, unless ya live on the North or South pole, YOU'RE always the South to somewhere! :D

Dave C
11-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Good one
You guys think SoCal is crazy, Ha ... thats child's play. Come to the SF Bay Area if you want to see crazy.:eek:
This area set the trend when it comes to crazy. I swear that the people in SF & Bezerkely are from another planet. (remember those scenes from MIB? Thats frisco!)
Besides they take their "medical marijuana" seriously around here.;)
Dave(born & raised in nutty-norcal) C

Back Forty
11-07-2003, 03:06 PM
I was worried as hell the first time I had to go to Cali because of all of the stupid shit I heard growing up about it. As soon as I crossed the northern state line I was hooked. Cruising in, hot as hell and finally making it to the bay area by evening I was beside myself. Driving a hot rod station wagon with a rubber chicken hanging out of the back window. I saw Hotrods, chicks and cool ass old buildings everywhere. The Coastline is awesome, the landscape is awesome, great people, great music, great food, GREAT PLACE. If it weren't for self imposed obligations to Ohio and this part of the Country I would sell the lot and get my hide back there in a heart beat. I even talked my parents into coming out to see the place for themselves. I was very happy to hear them announce that they were loving it and how nice everybody seemed. (they are in FLA where everybody is out to fu$k you or steal from you) My mom was living her dream of finally riding one of those dam trolly cars in frisco that she had seen on TV her whole life. HOW GREAT it was out there. I even took them to Pinky's Pizza joint in Petaluma for which we had an awesome time. My brother came down for that one. I though it was funny that we found that we both had been using the same drinking rocks out near the coast and never had any idea. Similar thinking I guess!
It's the only place in the country where somebody drives a beat up '52 Dodge everyday just to beat the emissions standards. Drinking underneath the ucaliptus tree(spelling?) was a great memory. I melted in and still hold California in my heart. Always will.
Rode my first Harley out there from San Leandro to Petaluma one night. Big C's in San leandro, the Ivy Room and so on... Blah Blah Blah.
A great place.
:smilespi: