PDA

View Full Version : flame painting tips please

502procharger
11-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Ok i have a guy working on my boat right now. I have looked at over 1000 pictures of hot boats and got some idea's from each (don't worry i will not copy anyone) i am going with an all black with metal flake base clear with metallic silver flames and accents. I know it will get hot but an all black boat will look unique. I have done some automotive paintwork but have no experience with flame work. I know how the actual painting needs to be done and the guy helping me has been painting for 25 years but nether of us has any experience in laying out the flame work. If anyone has some tips or idea's how to make the job easy please let me know. Also what paint is the best for boats? Any input would help. Thanks all.

Jbb
11-08-2003, 05:41 PM
Flames ...yes ....lol....air brush another accent color on the silver tips ...purple, rasberry ect.....just lightly on the upper licks ...It will brighten things up considerably...When laying them out say on the deck...run a tape line down the center and layout one half of the deck until you like it with 3m blue vinyl fineline tape....I like 1/4 in.
when you are happy with one side cover it with masking paper and rub a crayon over the tape layout ...This will transfer the design to the paper ...Now put that paper on some plywood or sheet rock and follow the crayon design with a pounce wheel ...available at art supply stores..This puts a million tiny holes along the flame lines ...Now put the design down(flipped over) on the other side and tape it down ...Now take some plain chalk powder in a sock and tap the entire design with the chalk sock ...when this is done ,remove the paper and your design will be on the deck in perfect symmetry with the other side ....Now just follow the chalk line with your tape and you are there ..You can do the same on the hull sides...As far as paint, House of Kolor gives you lots of color options but If silver is it, you could go with anybodys base clear Urethane system...I am partial to PPG,because I use a lot of it ...But Dupont and Sherwin Williams look good as well. Take your time with your layout and it will look great ...
Here is a flame painting website ...read thru and have your painter read thru some of their self help threads ,there is some good info there....go to the flame painting boards and register...
Good Luck....Jbb
Flames.... (http://www.customflamepainting.com/)

TRG
11-08-2003, 05:46 PM
1) i usually start with 3M 1/8 blue fineline tape, it makes for smooth sweeping strokes and pulls very tight radious!
.2)

TRG
11-08-2003, 05:49 PM
thats a pretty rad website JB!

502procharger
11-08-2003, 08:59 PM
thanks for the input, that site is way cool. anyone else have any thoughts or helpfull ideas

Kurtis500
11-08-2003, 09:05 PM
You can use a china marker to draw the flames then run the blue thin tape behind the design. Just make sure you clean-up the wax pen residue completely.

fourspeednup
11-09-2003, 12:07 PM
That's the new flame design I've been seeing around, way cool. More realistic. I read that the guy uses no templates and just creates as he goes, no two alike!!!...:eek: :eek: :D

fourspeednup
11-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Schweeeeeet:cool:
:burningm: !El barco esta en fuego!:burningm:

DansBlown73Nordic
11-09-2003, 03:29 PM
I have thought of painting flames on my Nordic. I have a very good friend with a vinyl cutter who says she can cut me a stencil that I can stick on and paint. Then just pull the vinyl back off. Im not sure how it would work.

502procharger
11-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Ok getting closer to paint and i was wondering if i should do straight metallic silver flames or if i should be highlighting the tips of the flames, if so how do i do it. I have seen many pictures and with the flame tips highlighted it looks good, but it might look cleaner on an all polly black boat with just silver and nothing else in the flame. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jbb
11-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Depending on the paint system you use its easy to shade flame tips ...I use House Of Kolor paints and make my own Kandy Kolors out of a mix of intercoat clear and reducer and then adding the color you wish Kandy Koncentrate drops....use your airbrush or touch up gun and highlight away....the more coats the darker it gets...but the silver will always shine through! If you are using anyone elses base clear paint ,it can be done just as easy ...for example with PPG use a mix of dbc or dbu500 color blender(basically clear basecoat) and the appropriate reducer ...add the toner for the color desired in small amounts ...and it will work just as well as the House of Kolor stuff...when the desired color is obtained ...it must be cleared....

502procharger
11-29-2003, 07:44 PM
jbb, or i could just fly you up for the day and you could help me do it. lol. seriously though, know anyone in upstate ny who is good at laying out flames and such? please let me know.

Jbb
11-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Upstate NY Hmmmmm......I am from NYC ........we had a Summer house in Mountaindale...I remember it being VERY cold there!...:D

502procharger
11-29-2003, 08:02 PM
um, i have a heater and some electric socks i will let you use:D
i will even put "flamework by jetboatboat brian" in tiny letters on the side(we are talking really tiny) lol