PDA

View Full Version : Prop Quiz

26Kat
07-15-2002, 05:59 PM
I am new to the whole stern drive thing and the lingo, so be patient with me. All I know is that I have 22 pitch 4 blade prop attached to a bravo I pushed by a base 496 mag. This is in a 26 cat that is a chore to get on plain with a full load even with trim tabs. Is there a prop I can use that will help me get on top of the water with a load? Also is there a prop that can give me a little more top end? Like I said, I am new to all of this as I went from a little jet boat to a full on power boat.

26Kat
07-15-2002, 06:23 PM
Forgot to mention that my prop is the bone stock prop that came with my new boat. I am only pushing 30 hours total.

FASTERDAMITT
07-15-2002, 08:58 PM
What boat do you have? What rpm do you spin at wide open?

Super D
07-21-2002, 07:23 PM
General rule about props - the higher the pitch, the higher the top end, but slower the hole shot. Lower your pitch and you'll plane faster, but lose some top end. You've also gotta keep in mind that an outdrive, especially with a larger boat, is a whole lot different than a jet that jumps up to max rpm and fast speed quick. Call some prop shops and talk to owners of similar boats and get advice. Make sure you can exchange a new prop if it's not meeting your expectations. Good Luck!