PDA

View Full Version : HEY JOHNC

not guilty
03-09-2002, 02:18 PM
About our motor mods, hhhmmmm where to begin.I've had this boat for about 10 years so its a long story,trial & error (lots of errors)so I'll try to condense.First off after a few seasons of stock we built a bad-ass 429 and found out the hard way to spend your money in other areas before plugging it in a bad motor,ie; exhaust!If you ever plan on putting any kind of over stock cam in it you better shop for exhaust,these BBF motors like water reversion.Wiped our bad 429 out quick.I bought a set of EMI thunder exhaust with the adapters for a FORD,really nice pipes but for what where building now I wish I'd went with lightning headers.Other mods where a lot for weight,removed water circulater pump & aluminum intake.The intake you have stock is agood runner ,Equal to our torker-II but a lot heavier.The only real perf. manifolds for these motors are the ford racing intake or a offy port-o-sonic,but you need the stuff in the motor to use em.As far as cams if you run the stock compression range I like cranes #354551- 522/530 lift-288/292 dur. you need machine work to the heads for dbl springs though,about 1 season on your stock springs could create problems.
This year were putting on a set of c9ve heads ported and oversized manley valves,should put our trw's at 10.33-1.adding a milodon 10 qt pan and cj pump and a bigger oil cooler.Also going to draft up some kind of a thermostat w/bypass because motor ran way to cool after taking out circulater pump and caused cylinder scuffing.
Sorry for the long-ass post didnt know where to begin,good luck with your toy!
Also I you said you had a 800 on that ride, sounds like a lot to me,were still running a 750 on the above motor.Could be hard on your cylinders??What do your plugs look like? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif NG

johnc
03-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the info. I was mainly looking for bolt on stuff. Don't want to put too much money into this old boat. I don't have the time or experience to do any of the work myself, so I prefer to keep it simple. I was mainly looking at exhaust. I'm running 4" thru-hull now with stock exhaust mainfolds and risers. What would you suggest? How about getting rid of that points ingnition? Whats a good replacement? MSD?
As far as my carb. The previous owner put it on. Stock is 750 vacuum advance. This is an 800 mechanical. The only problem I have had with it is a little hesitation on take-off. I was able to get rid of most of it by tuning the accellerator pump and easing into the throttle. Do you think I ought to go back to a 750 vacuum? This is my first season with this boat so I am still learing.
Thanks again for the help.
JC

not guilty
03-11-2002, 03:42 PM
JOHNC-I'm real pleased with the exhaust I got from Eddie Marine,think theyd work well with your setup and loose a lot of weight. You have to order them for a big block chev w/ a set of adapters to BBF.The only problem you might have is alignment to your tips.The first year we put ours on we cut the holes out bigger on the transome and made a cover plate out of stainless steel to trim them, this year we did the glass work and painting to get rid of the plates, it worked in a pinch though.To get rid of your points I dont think I'd waste all that money on an msd ignition with your basic stock setup.I'd recomend the mallory replacement marine electronic unit.If you have a NAPA auto parts store near you ask them to price a #18-5496-1 for you. This is a complete mallory with cap & rotor from the NAPA marine catalog, any NAPA store can order it even if they dont know what the hell it is.To use this on an OMC you need to wire in a couple of resistors to the shift box,they only cost pennies at radio shack , I'd be glad to send you or your mechanic the wire schematics to hook them up ,its simple.(note-you need to do this on any type electronic ignition you use on an omc for the cylinder cut out to work right when you shift,if you dont you be replacing dist. pick-ups a lot!)
Are you sure that was a 750 vac. carb original? All I've ever seen listed was 600 vac. on stock 460's. Not trying to dispute but 800 sounds like a lot for that motor.
Hope any of this helps! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif NG

johnc
03-11-2002, 04:25 PM
NG,
Thanks for the info. I would love to have the schematic for the ignition resistors. As far as the carb, on page 4-38 in my OMC factory manual it has a spec sheet on the carb. Its a "Ford E6JL-9510-FC, Holley L-50399 750 CFM." I figure the extra 50 CFM shouldn't make too much difference. I think its the mechanical secondaries that make the difference by opening too soon if you mash the throttle too fast. If you give me the HTML codes on how to post a scan or photo I will post the page and a picture of my boat. I am new at HTML and don't know much about it.
Thanks,
JC
BTW, nice ride