PDA

View Full Version : Seperate Reverse Bucket Control!

sidewound
11-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Has anyone ever used one. Is their such a thing?
I've often thought to myself it would be handy at times to be able to adjust the throttle and reverse gate seperatly. The convenience of the Morse control can't be denied. I'm just wondering if anyone runs this kind of setup.
With the reverse bucket disconnected from the controller I felt a better sense of throttle control. I don't want a pedal but would like a lighter feel to the handle.
Maybe my controller's just crap! THANKS!
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

460rogers
11-11-2003, 06:16 PM
That's how most jets are setup,with hot foot pedal and direction lever.I installed a foot feed on my sidewinder by building up a flat platform on the floor(its to thin and angled to just mount otherwise)just disconected throttle from lever and used same cable on foot feed.It is a lot easier on left hand drive boats.

460rogers
11-11-2003, 06:19 PM
You could try two levers just mount fwd/rev lever lowerbut it could be a little awkward at first.

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2003, 06:20 PM
something like this ??
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1127controll.bmp
C.T. :wink:

460rogers
11-11-2003, 06:23 PM
I was thinking more like having two seperate controls like orig. but that might work but won't look as cool.And the orig. lever does feel good in your hand.

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2003, 06:33 PM
What the hell a 2,000 dollar boat can only look so cool. LOL:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/112716_jet_boat_2_001-med.JPG

460rogers
11-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Like the hull must ride smooth but what is it?

boatdude
11-11-2003, 06:56 PM
My Omega has a control that does all (gas-for-rev) but it would be kinda trippy to have a sep. rev. My Omega is a daycruiser and not having a pedal is cool as I can stand up and plant my ass on the dash and keep one eye on the kids and the other on babes and traffic.

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2003, 06:57 PM
it's titled as a 1967 Jet boat :confused:
But after some research I have come to the conclution its a Tahiti or a Rogers . it's very heavy for a 16 footer
initial test run with a semi stock 350 and a wore out B impeller in a Berkeley JA resulted in 50 +/- mph . I have since rebuilt the pump with an A impeller and a 40 over 350 , X heads (1.94/2.02) dbl hump
.510 errisson cam 290* with 110 sep. 650 cfm dual line carb.
sounds mean as hell but havent had it out since .
sorry for hijacking the thread :rolleyes:

460rogers
11-11-2003, 07:05 PM
When a sidewinder is haulin an ass on the dash would not be a good idea ,but I can see where a foot feed would be more trouble but it does feel great to stomp it to the floor.

quiet riot
11-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Dual hand controls are pretty common on the fishing jetboats around here. My personal opinion is that they are a pain when docking/tight manuvering. You can't throttle it, change direction, and steer at the same time. Most manuverable is single control fwd/reverse with foot pedal gas. Foot pedals can be a irritating for cruising especially with a spring return and rough water. Best for water ski/cruise is single handle w/gas shift combined.
My worthless thoughts,
jd

sidewound
11-11-2003, 08:22 PM
This is just the kinda info I was lookin for. I like the feel of the morse control and it's nice to have it to hang onto when the sidewinder is wound up.
A pedal is pretty much out of the question for me because of the way I use the boat. Choppy water = choppy throttle.
I want the light response on the hand throttle. When she jumps outta da water I need to have that throttle "FEEL". Maybe a pedal for the reverse bucket. That sounds cool! I could get the bucket control and the throttle response I want.
See you guys get my mind working and good things happen.
Any more pics of setups would be appreciated. I dont think the double lever thing would work after all. I live half a block from the lake but I trailer in and out everytime. Manuvering at the dock on windy days is very tricky and we have lotsa windy days here. It doesn't affect the water a lot but the boat turns into a big sail at the dock.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

460rogers
11-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Don't do the foot reverse thingie. It would really suck to be haulin and forget and floor it.Talk about an oops!You could be passed by your own boat quickly.It's those little "aw shits"that can ruin your day.Just my thoughts I never claimed to know anything but people still listen for some reason.must be my good looks.NOT! I wish I was cool

sidewound
11-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Ok then maybe I need to invent a hydraulic setup next to my diverter setup on the wheel. Any thoughts?
CESAR

likwidsukr
11-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by 460rogers
Don't do the foot reverse thingie. It would really suck to be haulin and forget and floor it.Talk about an oops!You could be passed by your own boat quickly.It's those little "aw shits"that can ruin your day.Just my thoughts I never claimed to know anything but people still listen for some reason.must be my good looks.NOT! I wish I was cool
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I'm only using one of the levers on my dual controll, I liked the thought of a foot throttle so I made one out of some bits and pieces I had (Backwoods engineering) . with adjustable resistance so the posistion stays put in choppy water . what if you fall out with the throttle down you say ??
I also set up a dead man ignition that ties to my wrist like (forgive me here) a Jet ski .
now you have me thinking on the hydraulic reverse bucket, I may just go down stairs and study that thought a bit ,
Ive had just about enough beer to be real creative .http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/112715_4_118.gif
I dont think I'll do it with hydraulics but I do have a couple of servo motors that would do the job quite nicely . that would eliminate that beautiful dual controll I have bolted to the side :D

H2OT PURSUIT
11-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Hey C.T.
Why don't you shoot be a photo of one of these servos. I been thinking lately how to use a manual control cable on my jetovator, but use an electric motor somehow rather than a manual control lever. I was thinking about an auto electric window motor setup.

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2003, 10:02 PM
I will post a pic of what I come up with the servo I have is like this one http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1127airm0180.jpg
just a large RC model servo high torque with metal gears .
neat thing is they have potentiometer inside wich would make it easy to connect a guage to indicate the posistion of the bucket.
another thought would be to construct a screw drive wich may be better in the long run .

quiet riot
11-11-2003, 10:26 PM
or maybe you could rig up a dual setup like the big cruisers have where you can control it from upstairs and from the cockpit. :D They do have controls that allow dual operation. Hook up a dual lever shift/throttle and still have a foot throttle to boot!:p
jd

Cheap Thrills
11-11-2003, 10:37 PM
How much cable travel on the diverter from lock to lock in inches ??
also is there any tourque on the cable while under throttle ?
Im sure there is but how much ?

Froggystyle
11-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Just for the sake of conversation, we have designed and built a separate offshore style hand throttle for the new Trident Revolution. It will appear the same as the normal controls for an outdrive or outboard, and retain the bucket control as a separate arm.
Our right hand drive configuration doesn't lend itself to the foot throttle, and with the larger boat it makes it a lot easier to stand and drive with a hand throttle. Plus, it will make the bigger boat guys feel more at home.
Better controls too.
We are putting a dead-man switch on it for safety, but otherwise it will behave much like a standard high-performance outdrive, without the clunking and grinding into gear of course.
Squirts up!

Aluminum Squirt
11-11-2003, 11:50 PM
I thought I saw a hydraulic reverse control set up at the Tower Park run this august on the redish, purpleish Daytona. Can anybody refresh my memory?-Aluminum Squirt
PS-What's a reverse bucket for anyway? We don't have those thingies on our pumps-LOL

Chris J
11-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Most dual action control levers have a way of running the throttle independent of direction. Mine has a button you pull. This will allow you to rev the engine with the bucket set at mid point or where ever you set it up as. This works great when warming up the engine at the dock. I did switched over to a hot foot though because it feels safer to me.

flat broke
11-12-2003, 09:26 AM
I think this may be what you are looking for
http://www.incontrolequipment.com/images/422SFT.jpg
These can be found at www.incontrolequipment.com
Good luck,
Chris

Back Forty
11-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Mine has the all in one lever deal and is smooth. I replaced the cables though and that is probably why. I love it around the dock or close quarters manuevering. It sucks when raising hell in ruff water though. Its quick to get off of the throttle but when you need to have both hands on the wheel and stay in the throttle, it is a bastard to stay on it after backing off. I assume the foot throttle is good for this. My Carlson is right hand drive. The control is very usable otherwise and can be seen just ahead of my hand in the pic.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid78/pd821222de386eed55842379a89fb54bd/fb24f37a.jpg

AZKC
11-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Well I never even knew jets had hand throttles:eek: And right hand drive:eek: in a jet. Boy ya learn somethin nu ever day. Floor pedal for me, need both hands on the wheel:D
KC

sidewound
11-12-2003, 03:39 PM
KC,
How do you run in the chop? I think the throttle would be all over the place in some of the water I run up here. That's all I need is to stick a roller and jam the footfeed!
CESAR

mickeyfinn
11-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
it's titled as a 1967 Jet boat :confused:
But after some research I have come to the conclution its a Tahiti or a Rogers . it's very heavy for a 16 footer
initial test run with a semi stock 350 and a wore out B impeller in a Berkeley JA resulted in 50 +/- mph . I have since rebuilt the pump with an A impeller and a 40 over 350 , X heads (1.94/2.02) dbl hump
.510 errisson cam 290* with 110 sep. 650 cfm dual line carb.
sounds mean as hell but havent had it out since .
sorry for hijacking the thread :rolleyes:
That boat appears to be a sidewinder. The markings on the side are kind of a sidewinder trademark from the early seventy, late sixties. I had a 1972 model for years with an outboard on it. Was a damn good riding boat to be so small. Would turn on a dime. I have never seen a tahiti built quite like that. Can't say about the Rogers not many of those around here but I would swear that is a sidewinder.

sidewound
11-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by mickeyfinn
That boat appears to be a sidewinder. The markings on the side are kind of a sidewinder trademark from the early seventy, late sixties. I had a 1972 model for years with an outboard on it. Was a damn good riding boat to be so small. Would turn on a dime. I have never seen a tahiti built quite like that. Can't say about the Rogers not many of those around here but I would swear that is a sidewinder.
Looks like a sidewinder to me too Mickyfinn!
CESAR

Cheap Thrills
11-12-2003, 05:34 PM
It very well could be a Sidewinder who knows ?
these two boats are what made me believe that it was a Tahiti .
either or doesnt matter to me they both are good units from what I hear . I just like the way Tahiti rolls off the toung :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/112772_tahiti-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/11276d_1.jpg

sidewound
11-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
It very well could be a Sidewinder who knows ?
these two boats are what made me believe that it was a Tahiti .
either or doesnt matter to me they both are good units from what I hear . I just like the way Tahiti rolls off the toung :p
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/112772_tahiti-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/11276d_1.jpg
"SIDEWINDER SUPER" Kinda floats my boat.
The hulls look very similar. Deep entry V on the red boat?
Looks kinda like my hull a splashed glasstron bottom I believe.
DAMN SPLASHERS
I've seen one like yours same color with an OB. (Sorry):(
CESAR:D

Cheap Thrills
11-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by sidewound
"SIDEWINDER SUPER" Kinda floats my boat.
The hulls look very similar. Deep entry V on the red boat?
Looks kinda like my hull a splashed glasstron bottom I believe.
DAMN SPLASHERS
I've seen one like yours same color with an OB. (Sorry):(
CESAR:D
same as mine with an outboard hu ? thats ok .
I look at boating like I looked at motorcycles back when I was into that sort of thing ,, It doesnt matter what your riding as long as your in the wind . :D

460rogers
11-12-2003, 07:05 PM
An electric diverter control would probably work,it would be strong enough but make sure you don't mount it near the diverter switch. You could make your own with an electric window regulator . mount it to rt side and use same cable or on transom with short one. But make sure you don't hit wrong switch! I bow to your coolness.

Cheap Thrills
11-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Just had a cool Idea .. since its just for the reverse bucket, why not use some parts from a power antenna ? its already somewhat weather proof and moves in the directions desired :D with a little imagination
it could possibly be the easiest thing to work with .
Catch my drift ?
Got one in the works :D
see the name fits LMAO !

mgar_red
11-12-2003, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sidewound
[B]KC,
How do you run in the chop? I think the throttle would be all over the place in some of the water I run up here. That's all I need is to stick a roller and jam the footfeed!
I've had some big ones almost like when surfing off the Gulf. Our lake is bad in the middle. It actually comes a bit more natural with the foot throttle just as when driving a road vehicle ( better reaction time ) so long as your sittin' good in the seat.

AZKC
11-13-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by sidewound
KC,
CESAR
Never had any big probs in chop. I like the if my foot moves off the pedal the throttle backs off. On hand controls do they return to idle or do they stay where ever you put them like on an I/O?
KC

Back Forty
11-13-2003, 08:32 AM
They stay where you put them until bumped by a knee or something... http://v8buick.com/images/smilies/confused2.gif
:mad:
It's not bad when your on a lake like Cumberland where you are cruising for a couple of hours. It allows you to sit up on the seat and get some sun...;)