PDA

View Full Version : How many live up in high desert CA?

bigq
11-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Just curious if anyone lives up in Hesperia/Victorville area. How do you like it? Do you commute down the 15?Did you move up there from down the hill?
Thanks

JetBoatRich
11-12-2003, 02:09 PM
bigq, you thinking about moving and extending your commute?

bigq
11-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
bigq, you thinking about moving and extending your commute?
Just talk right now. Originaly wanted Arizona, but that looks like a no go. Anyway, we wanted more space and it is way out of reach in Rancho Cucamonga.
The short answer is yes.:)

91nordic29
11-12-2003, 02:27 PM
why not phoenix?

Kilrtoy
11-12-2003, 02:28 PM
How many people are high in the desert?
ALL OF THEM

Ducatista
11-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I'm about 45 miles due west of Victorville, in the Antelope Valley. Been up above for about 12 years, was born & raised down below in the SFV. The weather and air quality are nice, land is still cheap, but you pay for it with the drive. Most importantly its an hour closer to Havasu!

bigq
11-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
How many people are high in the desert?
ALL OF THEM
Bored?;)
P.S. I liked your sig pic better when it took up half the page.:D

bigq
11-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
why not phoenix?
Can't convince the wife to move that far. It is a family thing, so I need to respect that, I like being married to her.:D

91nordic29
11-12-2003, 03:08 PM
our family is in so cal. only 5 hr drive.

svlperry
11-12-2003, 05:30 PM
i live in a sub-community of victorville called spring valley lake and i wouldn't want to live anywhere else up here in the high desert we have our own private boating lake

Faster Daddy
11-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Don't live in the high desert but was raised close enough! Grew up in Wrightwood (18 yrs), 30 min from Victorville and can honestly say that theres no way I would ever choose to move there! Cheap real estate ain't enough incentive. However if you like wind, lots of cold dry wind blow'n all fall & winter and hot wind during spring and summer afternoons, not to mention the lack of vegitation! - Then this might be the right choice for you. IMO you may as well move to the moon. Spring Valley Lake is probably the only exception as it has enought grass and trees in some ares to mask the dull desert landscape. Questionable school districts, long ass commutes, lack of entertainment, shopping, gangs, grafitti, DRUGS. I guess the upside would be cheap meth from the local labs! My good friend is a Co. Sherriff and lives in SVL, I've heard all the drug and gang stories. I would rather pay more for less real estate than to subject my family to the high desert. One mans opinion. :frown:

Dr. Eagle
11-12-2003, 10:58 PM
I just went thru there a few weeks ago from Vegas to Seal Beach, and got off the freeway to get something to eat and some fuel for the thirsty burb.
I was surprised at the amount of graffiti all over the place, it looked like Way East LA. I was surprised to say the least.
:(

Doug H.
11-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Let's see here, there's the infamous JetBoatRich outta quartz hil or lancaster, then you always have one old fart in the possee and his name is HallettDave (5miles from rich) the guy around the corner to Dave is non other then the BIG commander DOUG, i live 2 blocks away from Dave. a phone call or a bike ride away. there are another 6-8 peeps here to, just forgot names and am tired. but we love the high desert. :D

Outnumbered
11-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Faster Daddy
Don't live in the high desert but was raised close enough! Grew up in Wrightwood (18 yrs), 30 min from Victorville and can honestly say that theres no way I would ever choose to move there! Cheap real estate ain't enough incentive. However if you like wind, lots of cold dry wind blow'n all fall & winter and hot wind during spring and summer afternoons, not to mention the lack of vegitation! - Then this might be the right choice for you. IMO you may as well move to the moon. Spring Valley Lake is probably the only exception as it has enought grass and trees in some ares to mask the dull desert landscape. Questionable school districts, long ass commutes, lack of entertainment, shopping, gangs, grafitti, DRUGS. I guess the upside would be cheap meth from the local labs! My good friend is a Co. Sherriff and lives in SVL, I've heard all the drug and gang stories. I would rather pay more for less real estate than to subject my family to the high desert. One mans opinion. :frown:
Tell us how you really feel:D

6 Dollar Boat
11-13-2003, 01:12 AM
I work in Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, and Adelanto every Thurs. I wouldn't move there if the houses were FREE. It's like a cross between Pacoima and Fontana. That's All.:yuk:

LUVNLIFE
11-13-2003, 05:29 AM
Across between Pacoima and Fontucky? Does that mean the gang bangers are inbred?:D

JetBoatRich
11-13-2003, 07:49 AM
We are pretty fart west from where you are talking, we really enjoy our neighborhood. Grew up in the S.F.V. and then lived in teh SouthBay for a few years, always saying I would never live up here. When were looking to buy a house, Torrance and Redondo was out of our price range. Some family issues came up and we wanted to be up here to help my sister, who had a baby that was sick. It worked out for all of us.
Been here almost 8 years and can't complain, bought a nice new home at the time in a quiet cudlesack. Some people call it "TOO" town, which stands for TOO FAR, TOO COLD, TOO HOT and TOO WINDY. at times this can be true, I guess we are used to it, pool for the kids helps keep them cool. We are involved in the local parks for the kids and enjoy the little/big town of Quartz Hill. Plenty of friends in the L.E. around here and never had any issues.
:D :D :D
No complaints now, especially when we go down below and experience the traffic and other crap.

bigq
11-13-2003, 08:38 AM
WOW! Some strong opinions there. When I looked at the statistics for crime it didn't seem to be that bad, way lower than the other place we were think about in Riverside. The schools were rated lower than here in Rancho.
I don't mind the desert look, I kinda like the open feeling, one of the reasons I liKe Havasu and the look of Arizona so much. Anyway since I am not really in to Meth that much and I don't want my kids to use it, sounds like I should stay away.:rolleyes:
Thanks for all the replys:D

JetBoatRich
11-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by bigq
Anyway since I am not really in to Meth that much and I don't want my kids to use it, sounds like I should stay away.:rolleyes:
That much, LMAO.
Most of the labs are in the outside of the towns, with lots of room to hide.:rolleyes:

bigq
11-13-2003, 11:47 AM
If the labs are that well known then why don't they crack down on them? Is this an urban legend or is the drug problem that bad?

Desert Rat
11-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Been up here in the AV for about 6 years now, transplanted from the SF bay area so it was a BIG change for me and the family! Lived in Palmdale and then moved to the small town of Quartz hill. It's pretty quite where i live. They still have the old fashion fairs and parades for the family. I would definitely buy on the West side of the valley tho. Some like the desert some hate it it's all up to you. I live on an acre that I'm putting a 990 sq foot shop/boat storage on and it works for me. You have just about all the shopping the wife will need up here now. I work on Edwards AFB so the commute for me is OK. As for Graffiti in the Lancaster/Palmdale area it pretty much does not exist. The two cities + the county up up here have full time graffiti abatement, call and its gone in 24 hrs! If you need somebody to show you around just drop a PM.

Outnumbered
11-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by bigq
If the labs are that well known then why don't they crack down on them? Is this an urban legend or is the drug problem that bad?
Here are a few articles for you to read on the Victor Valley area of the High Desert:
http://www.vvdailypress.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?Terms=meth
Nuff said,
OL

bigq
11-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Here are a few articles for you to read on the Victor Valley area of the High Desert:
http://www.vvdailypress.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?Terms=meth
Nuff said,
OL
LOL, Yucca Valley meth Capital of California. That is where my parents live, now I know how they got that new motorhome.:D

bigq
11-13-2003, 02:14 PM
BTW OL thanks for the info.;)

Outnumbered
11-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Anytime:)

sandblasted
11-13-2003, 09:36 PM
I can't blame anyone for bagging on the Antelope or Victor Valley...I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and use to bag on Antelope Valley every time I drove thru it on my way to Mammoth. Use to tell myself that there was no way in hell I would ever live out here...
but i got married and bought a condo in Santa Clarita, then when it was time to buy a house they were $150,000 less in AV than in Valencia...so I moved out here..
After 13 years I've not only gotten use to it, i actually like it....The wind can be a s.o.b. but I'm use to that too...and I'm an hour closer to the river than the poor slobs down below in the valley! :D

JetBoatRich
11-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by sandblasted
I can't blame anyone for bagging on the Antelope or Victor Valley...I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and use to bag on Antelope Valley every time I drove thru it on my way to Mammoth. Use to tell myself that there was no way in hell I would ever live out here...
but i got married and bought a condo in Santa Clarita, then when it was time to buy a house they were $150,000 less in AV than in Valencia...so I moved out here..
After 13 years I've not only gotten use to it, i actually like it....The wind can be a s.o.b. but I'm use to that too...and I'm an hour closer to the river than the poor slobs down below in the valley! :D
Exactly, I used to say the same thing. :D

haulina29
11-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Were racing in Palmdirt this weekend does that count ?:cool:

HalletDave
11-14-2003, 07:03 AM
Were racing in Palmdirt this weekend does that count ?
haulina29,
Would that be "CRC". I used to hang out with the old owner Jack Barbacovi.
I drove the water truck a few times around the course to help Jack out on weekends. I have not seen Jack since his son Jeff died. Do you know if Jack still owns "CRC"?
Back to the original subject.
The High Desert grows on you after awhile. The wind does blow and there can be some extreme temperature changes but all in all it is not a bad place. I do wish the Antelope Valley would quit growing though. :frown: I liked it better in the 70s. ;) I really miss that small town rural atmosphere.
Hallett (just an old sentimental fart) Dave:D

haulina29
11-14-2003, 07:33 AM
Drag racers call LACR Palmdirt because when you make a pass there is a dust cloud that follows the car, because of the 1/16 inch layer of dust on the track .:wink: