PDA

View Full Version : Jetaway

Duane HTP
11-13-2003, 01:27 PM
LVJetboy, you are absoutly on the right track.
The statement, (from a prior thread),
"A Ratchet absorbs torque only (such as a engine's instant shut off)" is incorrect.
When an engine shuts off or locks up, the torque of the spinning motor is absorbed through the motor mounts and the rail system into the boat itself. The JETAWAY, however, stops the torque of the pump rotating assembly, (inducer, impeller, and shaft), spinning at a high RPM form being absorbed by the boat also. It lets the rotating assembly of the pump freewheel. This is the biggest advantage of the JETAWAY in that it reacts Instantly when an engine quits. This instantionus action lets the high speed water that was going through the pump continue to do so. This action greatly reduces the upward pressure, (force), on the bottom of the boat, that the pop-off valve has to have to make it operate. In fact, it reduces the upward force, (pressure), so much, in some cases there is not enough pressure left to operate the pop-off valve after the action of the JETAWAY. In other words, the upward force that would have been building up to operate the pop-off has been greatly reduced instantly. Now, with the assembly still freewheeling and the water going through the pump, there is still a small amount of steering left. This can be very important at this critical stage.
After all of this JETAWAY action has happened in just a few micro seconds, the pop-off valve will help vacate the pump intake as stated. The IMPORTANT thing here is that the JETAWAY has stopped the initail upward movement of the boat before the pop-off has had a chance to react.
I am not advocating one devise above the other here. I think they should be used in conjunction with each other for the most safety possible. I just wanted to clearify the above statement. Thanks for your time. Duane HTP

fourspeednup
11-13-2003, 02:50 PM
That's cool. I love learning how shit works.
So is that how a whirlaway works on a v-drive?

MAXIMUS
11-13-2003, 05:29 PM
That is a must for any high performance jet boat! I have killed my engine over 90 mph & the boat went straight with no violence. I could also hear the pump racheting the entire time I was coasting! Excellent piece of equipment! Duane you did good!:)

BrendellaJet
11-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Duane,
At what point would you say a boat needs this piece of equipment? Can it be used safely without the pop off valve?

quiet riot
11-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Duane, we all like the info from people like you who really know this stuff. I'm curious too, as I'm putting some descent power together in a new motor. The jetaway mounts on the front of the pump, correct? Just curious as my motor doesn't have much of a driveline per say, just enough room for u-joints and a splined shaft into the pump. Its a legend jet, 3-point type mount. Will it work with this?
I'm probably in need of something like this cause my short deep vee jet tends to turn real hard. I lost a msd box at 80 at the drags and it hooked hard. It was all I could do to stay in the boat. With the extra couple hundred ponies I'm building now, I don't think I'd be able to hang on any faster than this.
Thanks for any info,
jd
Ps, this is a sprintjet aluminum boat, and it doesn't slide when I turn, It just hooks like on a rail.

screamdreambrad
11-13-2003, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quiet riot
[B]Duane, we all like the info from people like you who really know this stuff. I'm curious too, as I'm putting some descent power together in a new motor. The jetaway mounts on the front of the pump, correct? Just curious as my motor doesn't have much of a driveline per say, just enough room for u-joints and a splined shaft into the pump. Its a legend jet, 3-point type mount. Will it work with this?
i'll answer for him, no way i can see. your three point sits on top of the bearing cap right? this replaces that cap. and is much larger than the cap. it's 6 inches deep also. i used mine to move my motor forward and not buy a new driveline. but i needed to move mine forward. it's a nice piece and eveybody should have one. no bullshit. brad

Duane HTP
11-14-2003, 08:25 AM
At what point would you say a boat needs this piece of equipment?
The answer to this question is like most, there are numerous correct answers. I use this for a rule of thumb; If the boat is only 16 or 17 ft long, if it is a V-Bottom, or if it is a boat known to have problems upon shut down, I would recommend a JETAWAY at speeds above 70 to 80 MPH.
Can it be used safely without the pop off valve?
Yes, in a lot of applications it can. However, in boats reaching speeds in excess of 120 MPH, or boats known to have problems in this area, I would recommend using both.
Its a legend jet, 3-point type mount. Will it work with this?
Yes, it will, but some changes must be made. Easiest way is to move the motor forward and put a rear motor mount with feet to the stringers to it. If you can not go forward much, Another way is to remove 1 u-joint and the H-Bar, then use the same rear mount with feet to the stringers. This workes well. One other way is to have me make a mount on the front of the JETAWAY that will fit your original bellhousing adapter. Some have done it this way, but I feel it really puts more strain on the bolts holding the JETAWAY on than I would like to see.

HammerDown
11-14-2003, 10:02 AM
Duane, how many inches dose the JetAway move the motor forward?
And at what point in the game would you think a pump brace should be added?
Lastly, is there a narrow bell housing that will accept my top mount 3 bolt starter(prestolite) I belive...that works with a 4 point or rail mount system?
Thanks for any info.

victorfb
11-14-2003, 10:22 AM
were can i find some more info on that 'jetaway"? what it does, dimensions, what you need to run it, were to get one, price, ect?

HammerDown
11-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by victorfb
were can i find some more info on that 'jetaway"? what it does, dimensions, what you need to run it, were to get one, price, ect?
Duane Oblander>http://www.hi-techperformance.com/ is the inventor and I belive the manufacture of this product.

quiet riot
11-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Duane, thanks for the info. Just as Hammerdown asked, I'd like to know the dimensions and how far forward you have to move the motor. Does 1 u-joint and H-bar make enough room? I assume running 1 joint isn't a prob, as long as I have the motor pump alignment pretty straight?
I can fab a rear mount up no problem, can't really move the motor without a lot of fab work on my setup. I've got an aluminum bellhousing/adaptor that I can modify fab/weld easy enough to help out. Let me know if I should just call ya or something if that would be best to explain it all.
I've heard you can run your ultimate wear ring and run the motor on the trailer with the jetaway, right? That would be great for warming up at the drags.
Thanx,
jd

sanger mike
11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
hi duane, thought Id put up a pic of the jetaway we just installed in the sanger. if any one is sitting on the fence about a jetaway. I would have to say BUY IT!, THIS IS AN AWSOME UNIT. and I would also like to thank duane, IVE BOUGHT MANY PARTS FOR THE SANGER FROM DUANE
:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/115Jet_Intake2-med.jpg

b's sanger
11-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Hey Sanger Mike, i don't know if you saw an earlier post of mine, but I am curiuos about the top end difference with your pump set-back and if it requires the engine to be set back with it.

sanger mike
11-14-2003, 10:32 PM
hi b's, its hard to say. because im also changing the motor. phase 2 of the project is a blown 468 on pump gas deal. i wont finish the project until the spring. and I think jack brought the motor 2 inches back.:)

b's sanger
11-14-2003, 11:01 PM
Thanx Mike, sounds like a great set-up. Did you have to make any modifications to the bulkhead to allow room for the drivebelt on the blower?

slotracer
11-15-2003, 07:04 AM
ok with all this talk about jetaways looks like i have got to get
one for the southwind. i am also going to a blown 468 so it looks
like to be safe i should get one. does anyone know of someone selling a unit? i am hoping to be in the high 80's to mid 90's.
it sounds like a great xmas present from the wife:D
pat(slotracer):D

Jake W
11-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Pat Duane sells them for 1135 bucks new some times he has used ones for sale for like 800 but told me when I was looking for a used one that he has list of people wanting used ones so when he gets one in he goes down the list so I just bought a new one I had been waiting for an Aggressor diverter for like 2 mounths and decited to put that money towards the JETAWAY and Duane gave me alittle off for my troubles .Good luck finding a used one.
Jake:D

slotracer
11-15-2003, 09:35 AM
well he can put me on the list i will need one in about 3 or 4 month is when i will be ready for it. i am building a non blown
468 now just to play with the southwind and mock up some items
then sell the engine next summer so i can finsh my blower engine.
pat(slotracer):D

ChetCapoli
11-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
Pat Duane sells them for 1135 bucks new some times he has used ones for sale for like 800 but told me when I was looking for a used one that he has list of people wanting used ones so when he gets one in he goes down the list so I just bought a new one I had been waiting for an Aggressor diverter for like 2 mounths and decited to put that money towards the JETAWAY and Duane gave me alittle off for my troubles .Good luck finding a used one.
With all that smack you talk on all them there "brand X" parts you sure have enough of em.... what's up with that??Are you gonna ever use em someday?? Much less a jetaway...expensive piece to have sitting on your dresser till you use it.....
Better stop eating them there ham sanwhiches and get some wurk dun jakey!:D
CHET

Jake W
11-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey Chet the board troll i was thinking of using it as a coaster what you think?

Jetmugg
11-15-2003, 05:54 PM
I have a freshly rebuilt Jetaway from Duane for sale. It has never been used.
It's not for sale separately, however. See my post about my Gullwing for sale.
Steve.

Duane HTP
11-16-2003, 07:48 AM
Mike, Thanks for the picture. Looks good!
I'd like to know the dimensions and how far forward you have to move the motor.
The outside diameter of the JETAWAY case is 4 1/2", same as the bearing cap. The case istelf is 4 1/2" long, but remember, you replace the bearing cap with it. The normal forward movement of the engine is about 4 1/4" , depending upon your set up, and type of drive line, it could very - + 1/4".
Does 1 u-joint and H-bar make enough room?
Sometimes it does. Again it depends upon the type of set up you have. On some of them, I've had to take the splined yoke off of the drive line and machine it to make it up to 3/4" shorter. This doesn't hurt anything, as the yoke no longer runs in the bearing cap seal with a JETAWAY. With a JETAWAY, the front bearing and all bearings in the unit run in oil. Oil makes the thrust bearing run a lot cooler than grease does.
And at what point in the game would you think a pump brace should be added?
In any light lay up boat, or when HP starts to go over 500 hp. I put pump braces in all of the boats that I build. But I hook them to the front of the pump intake, not the JETAWAY.
Lastly, is there a narrow bell housing that will accept my top mount 3 bolt starter(prestolite) I belive...that works with a 4 point or rail mount system?
Not that I know of. If your three point bellhousing is two piece; bellhousing and jetpump adapter with the six bolts, you can take off the adapter and make a nice motor mount plate that utilizes those six bolt holes and mount it to the stringers.