PDA

View Full Version : Pickd up an LT1 Chevy??

Clown
11-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Just picked up a LT1 small block Chevy motor.
Come out of a 96 Trans am Complete motor and computer, Going to put twin turbos on it ,But have some questions about the interchangeabilty of some Hot Rod Parts Has anyone ever messd with something like this .
Need to know if the crank triger/dist
can be replaced with any thing more simple?
:)

RiverCityJet
11-13-2003, 05:10 PM
:rolleyes: JEGS 1-800-345-4545:rolleyes:

powerplay230
11-13-2003, 06:41 PM
In my opinion don't know if the crank is up to turbo's or boost. Just replaced the one in my SS Camaro with a broken crank and 20,000 fairly easy miles on it...

Clown
11-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by RiverCityJet
:rolleyes: JEGS 1-800-345-4545:rolleyes:
This guy catches on Quick:confused: :)

Just Tool'n
11-15-2003, 06:29 PM
I would look at the comp ratio of the motor, look at the bottom end of the motor, & see if it is a forged crank, & forged pistons.
Are you going to use the computer in the setup?
If you are did you get the VIN number off of the car.
You will need this to scan the motor once you get it running.
96 is the first year of OBDII, I can not remember if they self ID or not.
You are going to have to reflash the computer if you are putting a turbo on it, and using the electronics.

Clown
11-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Have not had a chance to look at the bottom ean yet.
To many projects going on at once,
No I will not be using the factory computer, Will be using a Halltech computer.
And was wondering if they Have any other way of running the distributer
Seeing as how this one is run off of the front of the crank,And has a FUNKY water pump that is driven off of the cam.
Are there any after market companies out there for these things.
This is a completly differant animal to me
I have had no problem with the old style chevy stuff ,But this is a first for me. A motor with no distributer on top .:)

Clown
11-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Just got Off the Phone With A Friend From Vegas
And he says that the Block Has the Provision for the Dist
I will have to Bore a Hole in the intake and weld a flat plate in it .
Then I can use a regular MSD dist Slip Collar of course.:confused:

powerplay230
11-19-2003, 04:16 PM
One place you might try for information and aftermarket parts-
SLPonline.com they used to do quite a bit with the small blocks until GM killed the F bodies and then they started branching out into everything else.
Good luck,
Rick

21rayson
11-19-2003, 05:12 PM
check out this LS1 intake from edelbrock and you should be able to use the cranktrigger with a msd unit and forget the distributor. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/autopartsphotos/manifolds/7118_pro_e.gif

STV_Keith
11-19-2003, 05:51 PM
The LT1 is a Gen 2 smallblock. Uses what they called an "optispark" on the front of the timing cover...specific to the LT1 application. Now adays, there are options out there to convert it to single coil-per-plug applications.
The TA version LT1 is a 2-bolt main, cast crank, powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons at 10.4:1. LOTS and LOTS of aftermarket stuff out there for them, and it's relatively cheap compared to the newer LS1 stuff.
Start here: http://www.camaroz28.com
Are you going to put this in a car or ???

Jet City
11-20-2003, 07:00 AM
I would recomend checking out www.camaroz28.com, there are some sharp guys that are very up to speed on the LT-1's, there are a couple threads about using an early distributor in the LT-1, your friend is correct about the block having all the provisions for the early dist., you will either need to bore a hole in the LT-1 manifold, or if you wish to go with a carburetor, GM performance parts (Summit, Jegs) offers an nice intake (P/N 24502592) that looks very much like an Edelbrock Performer RPM. The guys at CZ28.com can also direct you on PCM tuning (LT1 edit) if you want to do your own tuning, or find a link to one of the tuners such as Ed Wright (sp?).

Clown
11-20-2003, 03:51 PM
Thank You Very Much for the www sites
I will be checking these out,,Seeing as how winter has already begun and I have not even Disaseblled this motor yet
I'm Falling Behind on YET Another Project:o
This will be the First experiance I will be having with the new Generation Small blocks.
If you have any more input on this
Please POST It
I will probally use it
Thank's CLOWN :D