PDA

View Full Version : Which Headers ?

Blade1
11-15-2003, 04:25 PM
Hello all, i am running a 468 BBC with a 10-71 on a Cheyanne hull.currently have a set of Basset large tube water injected headers, was wondering if there is a horsepower gain to running dry zoomies.i like the headers i have for running around cruisin but for the times i want to swap pulleys and make boost would the zoomies build more horsepower. Thanks for your time Dan

Heatseeker
11-15-2003, 06:08 PM
I don't know what kind of power gain you'd see, but zoomies certainly look and sound way cooler :D !!!
Too bad I can't get away with running them anywhere local!

blownalky557
11-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Hey John,
I run my zoomies dry in the delta, woodward and modesto without any problems.

Heatseeker
11-16-2003, 09:41 AM
In the Delta :eek: ? Can I borrow them for a couple of hours :D :D ?!

blownalky557
11-16-2003, 11:20 AM
John,
What heads do you have, mine are Dart 360's. The flanges are for 2.5 inch pipes, can your heads seal flanges that large? I won't be using them for another couple of weeks, you are more than welcome.

Blade1
11-16-2003, 04:04 PM
I appreciate the offer but i am running chevy 990 cast iron heads and i do have a buddy i can borrow a set from to test with,was tryin to figure out if it was even worth goin to the trouble to bolt em on. but anyways thanks for offering.Dan

Kurtis500
11-16-2003, 04:58 PM
Just a guess, but maybe a little more. You will hurt your ears a lot easier with the zoomies on. I ran water injected zoomies and headers on a lake boat. I didnt go through timing lights to verify any gains, I dont think it did anything except get louder.
If your running a lot of boost I would run zoomies though.

Heatseeker
11-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Bill, I'd borrow them for a try, but they won't do me any good right now:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/99engineout2.jpg
I've already tucked the engine in for it's winter hibernation!
Maybe next season...

blownalky557
11-17-2003, 10:59 AM
John,
Did you get your copper head gasket situation squared away? Did you use the SCE Titan copper head gaskets?

Heatseeker
11-17-2003, 02:04 PM
No, the head gasket deal is not solved! I had them sealed up pretty good since August, no water in the oil. Then in October, after I turned up the drive ratio on the blower a bit, water began appearing in the oil again. I did use the SCE gaskets. I got countless recommendations from guys here in the blower forum as to what to use to seal them(guys who've been through this same thing before). My best results came from Yamabond(which Walt had suggested at the git). It only took me five tries. But I think the increased rpms after the pulley swap caused the cooling pressure to rise, causing leaks yet again.
I'm not worring about it until March or April now. At that point, I'll probably take it to Walt.

blownalky557
11-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Did you use the SCE Titan series copper gaskets? I found those to be the best as they are pre silicone beaded. I also used the Hylomar spray for that little extra insurance.

Unchained
11-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Blade1
Hello all, i am running a 468 BBC with a 10-71 on a Cheyanne hull.currently have a set of Basset large tube water injected headers, was wondering if there is a horsepower gain to running dry zoomies.i like the headers i have for running around cruisin but for the times i want to swap pulleys and make boost would the zoomies build more horsepower. Thanks for your time Dan
Here's a set of rotary mufflers you can bolt on there for $ 3k
The HP increase will be amazing.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220stheaderswturbos-med.jpg

Heatseeker
11-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Hey, that's what my next set of mufflers will look like!!!