PDA

View Full Version : New Melones Lake

1Bahnerjet
11-16-2003, 10:51 AM
Any New Melones Locals here? What Camp Ground is Close to the High Water Mark? What Boat Ramp has most Lanes? What arm has the Smoothest Water? I already know Scenic Hi-way 49 crosses it. Thank for any Secrets.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/43newmeloneslake.jpg

randy77zt
11-16-2003, 06:47 PM
dont worry about a crowd-there wont be many people there.your rv should have a heater-will be between 30 and 40 at night.sometimes in the winter its warm there when the valley is fogged in .even though i live close i usually boat on the delta-more bars and restaurants on the water.if you have nice rv and boat it will be nice and quiet.this isnt a lake where people go to show off thier boats.a buddy at work deer hunts on north east shore of the lake off of a bass boat.

bilgewiper
11-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Shoot, I went there on a very hot day in the first week of Sept and there was "maybe" 2 other boats out running on the lake. Really quiet!

spectratoad
11-16-2003, 07:34 PM
I was kind of hoping it was a mis-spelling and it was supposed to be New Melons. and maybe it was part of the twins thread from the Sandbar forum.
Looks like a good lake for a relaxing weekend.

Dr. Eagle
11-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by spectratoad
I was kind of hoping it was a mis-spelling and it was supposed to be New Melons. and maybe it was part of the twins thread from the Sandbar forum.
Looks like a good lake for a relaxing weekend.
LOL !!!!!!!!!
New mellons....he he he....he he he .....he he he ....hey Beavis...he said mellons...

Dr. Eagle
11-16-2003, 09:03 PM
BTW, I don't live too far from there, but I have never been to New Melons...I have flown over it in a Helicopter and was impressed with the size of the lake...New Melons that is...:D

Cas
11-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Just watch out for dead bodies, they may not have found them all.

Kilrtoy
11-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Where the hll is this lake
'

HalletDave
11-17-2003, 06:44 AM
http://www.anglernet.com/web/selectlk.htm
Kilrtoy,
Go to this site for the answer to your question. ;)

JetBoatRich
11-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by HalletDave
http://www.anglernet.com/web/selectlk.htm
Kilrtoy,
Go to this site for the answer to your question. ;)
You have the early shift I see:sleeping:

HalletDave
11-17-2003, 06:57 AM
You have the early shift I see
Rich,
You are absolutely correct.;)
Do you think Kilrtoy will ever see the answer to his question?
I hope so since I don't think "Northern & Central California Lakes" will ever be a category on Jeopardy. :rolleyes:
Hallett (is smarter than Alex Trebec) Dave :D

JetBoatRich
11-17-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by HalletDave
Rich,
You are absolutely correct.;)
Do you think Kilrtoy will ever see the answer to his question?
I hope so since I don't think "Northern & Central California Lakes" will ever be a category on Jeopardy. :rolleyes:
Hallett (is smarter than Alex Trebec) Dave :D
Dave don't be so sure, they may have a geography question regarding lakes in the western United States for $200:D and now we have the answer:eek!:

HalletDave
11-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Dave don't be so sure, they may have a geography question regarding lakes in the western United States for $200 and now we have the answer
If that happens, I am going for a true daily double.;)
Hallett (takin' Alex to the cleaners) Dave ;) :D

Her454
11-17-2003, 07:54 AM
Bahner, I am about a half hour from there. Its a beautiful lake and The best launches are at the Glory Hole, right outside of Angels Camp. The lake is beautiful but its not suitable for kicking back on the beaches anywhere, very steep canyons in most places as it is actually a flooded canyon. The old town of Melones used to be up there under the Hwy 49 Bridge you mentioned and on a low water year you can still take your boat right up to the old stamp mill if its sticking up out of the water and check out some of the old 1800's Ranch foundations. Pretty cool actually. Another nice lake not too far is Don Pedro...

Kilrtoy
11-17-2003, 08:32 AM
What the hell, Is that a map of lakes, or of the California penal system. If i go on jeapordy I will take the answer for 200 Alex

1Bahnerjet
11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Her454,
Cool Info Thank's, And Since your close by What do you think of Tullock Lake, My Girlfriends Brother Built a House on a Golf Course near Copper-something- Lish, we were Visiting Him last week-end and Checking out Lakes for next Summer. I have been to McClure, Don Pedro, New Hogans & Commanche(sp). Been to Melones before it Filled I Lunched from Parrots Ferry. (Water was Damn Cold)

Cas
11-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Copperopolis :D
just drive a few more miles north and hit Shasta or Oroville. Both are well worth the extra time, besides that, you'll be glad you did.
Doesn't Tullock have a 35 mph speed limit with 1 way counter clockwise boating? Never been there, just heard that somewhere along the line.

Cas
11-17-2003, 05:08 PM
nevermind, I just looked in the Recreation Lakes of CA book and it doesn't mention anything about what I just said.......ignore me :D

1Bahnerjet
11-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Cas,
Yeah, Shasta's way Cool, Way Far to. Looking for Places a Couple of Hours Away. Shasta would be Good for a 1 Week House Boatin' trip:D :cool: Haven't been to Orville Yet, Up by Yuba city Right?

Cas
11-17-2003, 11:23 PM
Oroville is about an hour or so north of Yuba City, great lake. We had a little outing there this past year and took a few pictures. If you have a mind to, check them out along with pics from a few other places in the Past Events area of the Laid Back Boaters website. Just click on the link in my signature to get there.
I have a bunch of Folsom and Don Pedro, just haven't done the webpages yet. I'll try to get them up within the next few days.
btw, where in NorCal are you?

fourspeednup
11-17-2003, 11:28 PM
The best launches are at the Glory Hole, right outside of Angels Camp.
There's actually a place called glory hole? That's funny, I want the sign:D

Her454
11-18-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
Her454,
Cool Info Thank's, And Since your close by What do you think of Tullock Lake, My Girlfriends Brother Built a House on a Golf Course near Copper-something- Lish, we were Visiting Him last week-end and Checking out Lakes for next Summer. I have been to McClure, Don Pedro, New Hogans & Commanche(sp). Been to Melones before it Filled I Lunched from Parrots Ferry. (Water was Damn Cold)
Tulloch is near Copperopolis (Copper for the locals) and I dont recommend Tulloch for anyone. The restrictions are horrible and if you have anything that even resembles an open header, or is louder than a trolling motor, you WILL get a HEFTY ticket. The shores are all private, with homes on them and private docks. Also costly to launch there, if you get past the ***boat Gestapo.
Don Pedro is beautiful with alot of great campgrounds, I'll send you some info on the camping. New Hogan...well Im partial to that since its basically my back yard.... Camanche is nice once you get out toward the back as it can get real rough at times, kinda windy.
Depending on when you'll be in the area....MotherLode***boats always has their New Hogan Cliff Run in August, and Camp Far West has the Fathers Day Bash in June. They're both a blast.:D

1Bahnerjet
11-18-2003, 04:40 PM
Cas,
Thank's for the Info I'll Check out your Site:D
Her454,
Thank's for the Info, My Girlfriend's Brother said he was Buying a Poontoon Boat, Now I Know Why. I don't Think Tullock And My Bahner will get Along. :rolleyes:
Thank's to all who Replied:cool:

Cas
11-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Bahner,
Between Father's Day and the Cliff Run, there will be something going on just about every weekend with us. Then there's the time between New Years Day at Camp Far West and Father's Day, I'm sure there will be a bunch of things happening then too.
After the Cliff Run is the Tower Park Get Together on the Delta in August, this is a must go. Lots of fun, lots of boats, lots of great food and best of all, lots of great people.

Cas
11-18-2003, 07:33 PM
oh yea, after TP4 there will be a bunch of things happening until New Year's Day.......
Come join us for a Christmas Party at the Cattlemen's in Dixon on Dec13, it'll also be fun.

1Bahnerjet
11-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Cas,
Thank's for the Invite's

Her454
11-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Hey Bahner, watch those LBBA'ers, they're a Rowdy Bunch....
specially that Jethro and Mrs P!!!!!!! LOL:D

Cas
11-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Her454
Hey Bahner, watch those LBBA'ers, they're a Rowdy Bunch....
specially that Jethro and Mrs P!!!!!!! LOL:D
That coming from the most hardcore party hound you'd ever want to meet. :eek:

1Bahnerjet
11-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Well the Laid Back part Sounds good:D
But I gotta be Honest With you I'm a Real "Solo Lobo" ( should be my Screen Name ) I try to get my day's off during the week so I can go to the Lake when Less Boats are there.:D

LakesOnly
11-19-2003, 07:27 PM
A little tidbit of info:
"New Melones Reservoir" used to be just "Melones Reservoir." Then they raised the dam (and thereby the water level). Hence, "New" Melones Reservoir.
I bring this up because of something funny: not long ago, a friend of mine was out driving past all the reservoirs in that area, checking 'em out, and he was traveling down this one road and saw a sign that read, "Caution. Road ends in water, 1/4 mi."
HUH?
A little further down, there was a gate accross the road. He parked and walked past the gate and down the roadway. Sure enough, the road continued on right into the reservoir and disappeared underwater, a result of the dam being rasied. I thought that was pretty cool.....
That place has steep canyon walls unless it's 100 in the shade, you may find Don Pedro a liitle more inviting.
Just my .02,
LO

1Bahnerjet
11-19-2003, 07:48 PM
Your Buddy May have been on Parrots Ferry Road, Last Time I was at Melones I launched Where Road Crossed the River, Before the New Lake Filled, Water was Damn Cold! Don Pedro is COOL. New Melones has a Camp Ground Named The Glory Hole!:D

1Bahnerjet
11-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Lakesonly,
When I look at your Avatar It makes me think you my be Part American Indian. Must have Seen a Painting of an Indian at Sunset with raised arms like that.

LakesOnly
11-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
Hey Lakesonly,
When I look at your Avatar It makes me think you my be Part American Indian.
Nope, 'fraid not...but I've taken several photos that seem to come out that way...
LO