PDA

View Full Version : Towing/Launching a 28' deckboat.....

Ivan Dan
11-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Am I going to have problems with a 1/2 ton Yukon 2wd 5.3 V8? What about a 2wd F-150 Supercrew lifted with 35's? It will be stored at my house in Havasu so it will only be towed to the ramp and back. I'm a little concerned about being able to pull the boat out of the water. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
www.DanKaatz.com

honkey1
11-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Yukon won't have any problems just use the tow/haul option so that you won't have any tranny shifting problems while towing.

LevoeDCB22
11-18-2003, 01:48 AM
Just took my new Mach 26 out last weekend with moms 2wd 5.3 Tahoe... pulled fine and didnt spin the stock tires at all on LHC marinas launch ramp... havent tried with my 5.3 silverado 2wd with 35"'s, was wondering just like you

Sandbar Mike
11-18-2003, 07:23 AM
The larger tires definitley help, We don't get any slip out of our Tahoe w/35's while pulling out our 30' Cat.
At the ramp I always pull out in 1st gear, around town and on the freeways always in 3rd.
Dan did you get a 28 cat?? What kind?

Lakeshow
11-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Just towed my DCB 28 with my new 2wd Yukon and didn't have a problem at all.

bigq
11-18-2003, 08:49 AM
what the hell is a yukon tow rating at. I thought the were based on a 1/2 ton tow capacity?

TheEduKATor
11-18-2003, 12:21 PM
I used to tow my 26 Cat with a 98 Chevy Tahoe that had a gutless 350 vortec in it, but that was the least of my problems. The good part is that I had 33" mud terrains that never slipped on the ramp. The master cylinder went out while backing down once at site 6 and I was in water up to my rear door with a 7" lift. I went through a rear end, transmission, head gaskets, an internal fuel regulator, new motor mounts, tranny mounts, and the upper control arm peeled off from where it mounts to the frame all before I reached 60K on the thing. My friends joked that they could probably ride a ten speed up the sumit faster than I could in my truck. I had to get rid of it after towing the boat about 5 times to Havasu from the 909. I took great care of it, it just didn't have the power. That and I think commander is leaving out a few pounds in their estimated weight of the boat. The new rig is a 2003 F-250 4x4. Now my passengers aren't joking about riding a ten speed faster than I can town, they have to remind me that I am towing a 30 feet of boat and trailer behind me, and I might want to slow down. I forget sometimes because it is effortless with the new Foed and I haven't had to use four wheel drive with the stock tires, no slippage here. I feel alot safer with the big truck, even Ms. EduKATor has got used to backing up the trailer and towing out, which is something I never let her do in the old rig because I feared for hers and my safety. I've met people who've never had a problem with their Tahoe's so it depends on who you ask. My old tahoe also didn't have the tow/haul mode which probably made a huge difference. I just couldn't pass up a new 4x4 crew cab, XLT Ford for $28k. O well, here are some pics of the old ride, I miss her sometimes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/550tahoe_boat-med.jpg

Ivan Dan
11-18-2003, 02:32 PM
SB Mike~ I have one last test drive on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving with the Magic Deck Boat. I have narrowed it down to just two boats from a long list....Conquest or Magic. I am ordering it that same day whichever one I decide to go with. Man this is a VERY tough decision. Both boats have some nice options about them that the other does not.
I know we have seen many threads about this debate but any suggestions from you guys?
www.DanKaatz.com

Thunderbutt
11-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
SB Mike~ I have one last test drive on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving with the Magic Deck Boat. I have narrowed it down to just two boats from a long list....Conquest or Magic. I am ordering it that same day whichever one I decide to go with. Man this is a VERY tough decision. Both boats have some nice options about them that the other does not.
I know we have seen many threads about this debate but any suggestions from you guys?
www.DanKaatz.com
Ivan Dan,
Did you by chance look at the Warlock? I'm going to buy a deckboat, but haven't decided on which one. Give us some performance numbers, on speed and handling Also Quality

Ivan Dan
11-18-2003, 03:37 PM
I didn't look at the Warlock at all. I have looked at Eliminator Fun Deck, Commander 28' Deck Boat, and 28' Advantage Party Cat. I've test driven the 26' Force open bow cat, Conquest deck boat and now Magic Deck Boat. After a lot of thought I decided I really want a deck boat.
The Conquest is a SUPER solid boat and I love the way it drives and handles. This seems to be the stronger built boat between the two and it shows with the weight difference. This is themore low profile of the two boats and has less freeboard. With a 496 HO this boat does about 65 mph.
The Magic is very sharp looking as well. This boat is definitely a deeper feeling boat and it supposedly has an extra 6" added in the make the deck a little taller. Haven't gotten a chance to drive this one yet but they claim 70 mph with a 496HO.
They seem to be very comparable boats and even share the same bottom. See what I mean about being a tough decision?
www.DanKaatz.com

Lightning
11-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
www.DanKaatz.com
Have you considered looking at a Trident. If you are looking at a boat that size, it most likely will fit into youir criteria without a problem. Click Trident Custom Boats (http://www.tridentboats.com) and check them out. For specific info or questions give them a call or email, they are usually quick to respond. They're website has some really good photos of the boat.

revpuffdaddy
11-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Dan,
Both the Magic and the Top Cat II are super boats. I think the Conquest is built just a bit better. Keith Sayre at Conquest is a stright shooter. Super guy. In the long run, I think the Conquest will remain "holding together" better over the years.
I too am on the fence between 496HO and 500HP. Only 5 mph between the two and $12,000 difference. OUCH!
Good luck on your decision. Let me know what you decide.