PDA

View Full Version : What Outboard Motor Should I Buy?

C-Ya
11-18-2003, 09:11 AM
I have recently purchased a 1988 28' Suncat Deck Boat to use as a party boat when I have big groups at my river house. It currently seats 18 comfortably and I can cram 26 on it if I had too. It came with a 225 Johnson and it's current top speed is about 40mph. Even though I am not into haulin-ass with a bunch of people on it, I have seen one of these boats going over 60mph, and I wouldn't mind upgrading the motor. Also, I do not want to drop a fortune trying to keep a 16 year old motor sea worthy, so I am thinking about replacing it, just for peace of mind.
Here's some of my questions:
How dependable is a 225 Johnson, can I get peace of mind by just rebuilding it?
What high horsepower outboard delivers the most bang for the buck? Example, the 300x is a bad-ass motor with a high dollar price tag to match and I think that this boat needs to get out of the hole and a strong mid-range as opposed to a fast top-end (though it would be nice to have it all).
I have been told that the 4-stroke motors have great durability and would be EPA compatable just in case the feds decide to crack down on Havasu like they did at Lake Tahoe.
Turn key operation is more important to me than anything else since the only tool in my tool-box is my check book!
I have seen on the internet many used motors out of Florida with low hours, would it be advisable to go after a low hour used motor as opposed to new?
If somebody could rank what they believe to be the top 10 motors for my use (and why), I would be appreciative.
Does anybody know anything about the Suncat Boats, since they only made a total of 60 before the company went out of business (good, bad, indifferent).
Thank you in advance for any info,
C-Ya
P.S. The boat weighs approx 5000lb's and has an integrated 90 gallon gas tank. The motor is mounted on a rack set back off the transon, making for a unobstructed integrated swin step going across the entire back of the boat.

Capt. Insane-o
11-18-2003, 09:34 AM
300x with a fleetmaster lower, 250 optimax would do away with your emissions prob. I believe yammi is making a 300hdpi..........lots of choices.

HavasuDreamin'
11-18-2003, 01:16 PM
To gain any significant mph, you will need two O/B's.

rivercrazy
11-18-2003, 03:04 PM
I'd go with one of the new Honda or Yamaha 250HP 4-strokes. Good torque, economy, efficiency, no 2-stroke smoke, quietness, and reliability. And no need to worry about 2 stroke oil. Some would say why a 4 stroke? Its not designed to be a barn burner so why not!

rivercrazy
11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
http://www.honda-marine.com/mod200_225hp.htm
Or the new 250HP Suzuki
http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr04/df250/

STV_Keith
11-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Are you looking at new or used? Keep in mind with a big rig like you have, torque is key. As much of a Merc fan I am for the hi-perf stuff, you will probably be best with a Pro Max 300 or 300x (if you can stomach the $$$ - I know you can afford it :) ) or a Johnson/Evinrude 225/250. The Johnrudes are less hp, but same 3.0l displacement.
What is the boat rated for? You could spend considerably less looking for an older (mid 80's) V-8 Johnrude too. While they were still carbureted, they are usually not all that finicky. Most of the hi-perf people pass them by as they are known to make big torque and power, but not made for more than 6000rpm use. A 275hp 3.5l or 300hp 3.6 or 4.0l would really get that thing on plane....lots of torque. You'd probably expect to pay >$5k for a decent running one if you can find it.
Be careful with stuff out of FL...some has been run in salt water and might be worse for the wear. Let me know what you decide on and perhaps I can steer you in the right direction when you know what you're looking for.

randy77zt
11-18-2003, 10:34 PM
watch out about florida stuff-they run boats year round.even if its 2 years old it could have a thousand hours on it.somewhere on the net i saw a picture of a pontoon boat with 2 300x.if you want no maintenance get a 4 stroke.if you want more speed get a 2 stroke.