PDA

View Full Version : Best So Cal boat manufacturers

rivercrazy
11-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Rank em! This is an annual ***boat thread subject and ALWAYS a lot of fun and very interesting! :D

Laveyman
11-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Here we go! Just hold for a few minutes while I get me a beer, some popcorn, and peanuts...
Okay, let the "My brand's the best" wars begin!!!

phebus
11-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Even though you said So. Cal. does that include the Havasu builders?

rivercrazy
11-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Sure. Have at it!
:D

rivercrazy
11-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Overall with all those criteria. But feel free to rank who you think is best in each area as well

Sandbar Mike
11-18-2003, 04:17 PM
But you guys wish you just would have got the FORCE.:D
Clean lines...
Great materials...
Great Speed numbers...
Great Price...
Great Customer service...
Oh shit I didn't know you were ranking, I thought you were talking about the best. :D
Let the thumping begin;)

SCUBA STEVE
11-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Price being no object..
Schiada
Howard
DCB
Hallett
Howard & DCB being tied for 2nd, but currently DCB doesn't make any V-Hulls (to my knowledge) so I gave it to Howard..
RD
Not sure if you have seen it, but the flynvees have a v bottom DCB, I want to say its a 26' also a vendor of mine also has one, I think his is a 24'
You know boat knowledge isnt my thing, so dont quote me. :D
Oh yeah I have to pimp for AFTERSHOCK!! :cool: ;) :)

rivercrazy
11-18-2003, 04:31 PM
I'll rank them in "my opinion" but will preface my ranking based on the following. Quality of layup/materials used, overall rigging, quality of the interior construction/installation, gelcoat, performance (turning, top end, holeshot, rough water ability, positive or negative handling characteristics), longevity/experience of management/ownership, customer service, as much mfg in house as possible, owners involved in some facet of mfg on a daily basis, reputation, having a hulls that are the most functional in their size classes, etc....
Top tier (not in any particular order)
DCB (for rigging, performance, fit & finish, quanity of zip ties used)
Howard (for rigging, performance, fit & finish)
Schiada (Rigging, performance, layup)
Shockwave (Overall balance - near the top in most categories)
Lavey (gelcoats, rigging, fit & finish)
But again just IMHO

SCUBA STEVE
11-18-2003, 04:55 PM
They do make a 28' V-Hull... but they don't make any smaller ones anymore.
RD
Gotcha :cool: :D
But can I still pimp for AFTERSHOCK... :D

bear down
11-18-2003, 04:57 PM
We ranking as far as Rigging? Hull Design? GelCoat, Pricing, just "overall?"
RD
I'll take a crack at this. And this is only because I have either ridden in a boat and know someone personal who owns one. My top 4 list.
1. Eliminator cause I have one but because I don't own a DCB.
why? They have a facility in both So. Cal and Havasu where they can do warranty and service work. Rigging is nice, gelcoats are great (but very eliminatorish at times). Quick turn around without sacrificing quality. Customer service is great, I just leave it to my sales guy to take care of it for me (shouldn't this be done for anyone who buys something that expensive). They are very price competitive and at times cheaper. Great line of boat but maybe too many but they do serve a purpose and each boat is really unique and they make sure that the bigger model does offer a greater benefit than just size. They are cutting edge. Everything is done in house! no outsourcing. Eliminator's past customer service issues really closed a lot of doors for current people who want to buy. Some people expect to be mauled by a sales rep. when they walk in and other's don't. For gods sake if you're interested and there is no sales rep. around or if he's picking his nose and ignoring you just ask that blonde haired receptionist in front of the entrance who is always there you want to talk to a sales rep. or another one if you don't like that one or even better Bob Leach, he's in the office almost every day. They have a lot of damage control to do to make up for past service issues back in the days.
2. DCB.-
Why? They have it all ,great system packages, rigging, customer service(Even though it took Dave 5 calls from me and 2 months to get back to me for pricing and info on a 28 extreme, shit just happens and I don't generalize or take it personal.) gelcoat (really nice stuff but nothing out of the water!. Great turn around time and honest. I love there facility. Big time manufacturer with a homestyle family run business ethic (keeping it in the family). Guys in the shop are not shy to talk and explain things very impressive. Good line of boats they just need more v-hull variety. I like it how 99% of their boats have or seem to have high powered engines (other than Merc). People just trust his judgement and the boat can take the power. It's a testament to DCB and it's product. I just wish they were more centralized to the 909-714-213-818-626 areas. It really is nice to go see your boat when it's being built whenever you want.
3. Essex Boats
Why? Great "big" small manufacturer with basic principals. Great looking boats which are timeless and gel coats are not stigmas. Great staff and owner's (Sanchez family). All owners are happy and are return customers (says a lot about the company.) Great line of boats and great length in business. Boats are a bit too heavy hence most of them have Bravo 3 drives but that makes the boat a very smooth riding boat and stable. Local builder that stands by their produce. The only other negative is that they at times have owners that don't like to help fellow boaters out (RD!)
4. Howard Custom Boats
Why? They really have stepped it up and have heard not a single negative comment through friends nor the board (that a big deal). To be able to make a 25' boat that rides the same as a 28' is great. They have a great attention to detail and are on it. Gel coats are very unique and nice. They have an awesome shop and staff. Great line of boats. They seem to be leaving a great impression with current owners and prospective owners. I just think they are too damn expensive for the product. For me it really takes you out of the game with all of the other competition out there.
Boats on the bubble of the list were:
Ultra: Awesome gel coat and designs. Have a local location in the 909. They only outsource the interior which is good and has his hand (control) over every part of the building process. I think Ultra is a little too high and I have seen boats in the water that were way to over priced for what they got. Ultra boats was very responsive and helpful and facility is nice a clean and professional. Staff is really nice. Ultra owners are loyal and happy and you can't argue that. I just don't like how somethings in the boat is an option or an upgrade (i.e. interior lights should always be standard, same with tow covers and bimini top and larger size boats have an options of several things that other manufacturers had as standard) which brings the price of the Ultra. They also have too long of a turn around time (12-15 weeks in the winter YIKES!)
Lavey Craft:
great looking boat and gel coat. Great line of boats with great interior configurations. They have a good turn around time ratio and almost zero complaints or issues. Customer Service is Top Notch, sales staff are very professional and just plain great. I just don't feel comfortable that a boat manufacturer as big as them don't do engine service on their boats and send you off to different shops. I also get a wierd feeling when they try to sell you on expensive options that I don't think are really necessary and other manufacturers to my knowledge offer or push (vacuum sealing the boats!?? Huh ).:confused:
Boats that I have no experience with but have like what I see and hear and whom I have only spoken with on the phone with.
Magic/Sleekcraft-Great sales staff and AWESOME Looking Cats.
Group 1 Marine/Conquest- I just dig how much Keith S. is on the boards and responds to both the good and bad things. The Deck boat is 2nd to none in the market. That is one beautiful boat!
***DISCLAIMER***
This list is not intended to offend anyone and only serves as an opinion of the personal experiences that I have encountered. The info. put forth is for you viewing pleasure only.
BOAT ON!

bear down
11-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Wow! I just re-read my post and I am winded. Sorry for the written filabuster. Will shorten it next time.

Kilrtoy
11-18-2003, 05:37 PM
THIS SHOULD GET GOOD
Scuba
You know boat knowledge isnt my thing
EITHER IS YOUR CHOICE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS:yuk:

Dribble
11-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Maybe the thread should be broken into subgroups such as best value, best gelcoats, best rigging etc.
For example, Schiada makes a great boat, but I personally don't think they are a great value. Ultra has the best gel coats but the rigging (as good as it is) is not up there with Howard or Hallett.
But if money is no object, my .02 goes like this.
DCB
Howard
Hallett
Schiada
Lavey Craft
Eliminator
Essex - tie
Shockwave - tie
Ultra - tie
Cobra ?
Caliber 1
Warlock
Advantage
Aftershock / Carrera
Cheetah
Commander
Team Hawaiian
Note my own boat is way down on the list. I think it's a great boat and am very pleased with it. The fact is that any three boats on this list are extermely close in quality. I bought what I consider to be a great value.

Kilrtoy
11-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Good list, what next

phebus
11-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Where's Conquest? In my opinion, the nicest Deckboat out there.

LASERRAY
11-18-2003, 09:00 PM
HOWARD
HALLETT
SCHIADA
DCB
ESSEX
ULTRA
ETC.............And the rest of the usual suspects.

LASERRAY
11-18-2003, 09:11 PM
I like my Laser.:)

Dr. Eagle
11-18-2003, 09:15 PM
I liked my Eliminator, and I like my Ultra...
Like the other lists...
Dribble
Bear Down... Great lists...:D

jbtrailerjim
11-18-2003, 09:48 PM
I don't feel it's fair for me to give my opinion about boat manufacturers since I have not owned them all. But I will give my .02 about the two West Coast mfg. I have owned.
My first one was an Essex. It was a great boat for the eight years I have owned it. Ron and Steve Sanchez are good guys to deal with and they build a excellent boat. I bought the boat when they were a fairly new mfg. So I have had a chance to watch them grow into one of the more respected custom builders on the West Coast. I would definitely recomend them to someone if they were looking at them.
I spent a lot of the summer checking the builders on the West Coast. Ultra ended up being the builder I went with this time for my new boat. I didn't go with Essex again because they just didn't have what I was looking for. I can't say enough about how awesome John West and his whole crew at Ultra are. I think they build a great boat. May be not the best in some people's opinions but if you like being treated like your family when you buy a boat I would definitely recomend them to anyone.
So will my next boat be an Ultra? Probably so. I think Ultra has found themselves another happy loyal customer.
The bottom line is all the builders I visited build good boats in my opinion. Just do your research and ask the people that already own the boats opinions. Those seem to be the most helpful.
By the way anyone know of someone looking for a nice used Essex.:D Damn I got to get rid of that thing.;)

beached 1
11-18-2003, 09:53 PM
Stoker
Schiada
Spectra
DCB
Hallett
Lavey

CEO
11-18-2003, 10:03 PM
1. DCB :)
2. DCB :)
3. DCB :)
100. Force, because the guy insulted my intelligence, and was
a pompus a-hole to me:yuk:

Sandbar Mike
11-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by CEOinSoCal
So I take it you did'nt get him down to the price you wanted. Bummer, At least you did'nt start chopping the boat up to lower the price.
Good luck with DCB, They build a bad ass boat:D ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
11-19-2003, 09:23 AM
But they sell a boatload, pun intended of them, so here is how I will rank the BEST in the industry!
1. Bayliner
2. Crownline
3. Sea Ray
4. Ebbtide
I think you all will agree that those are THE BEST boats that money can buy! :p

rivercrazy
11-19-2003, 09:25 AM
You forgot Four Winns and a few others!

eliminatedsprinter
11-19-2003, 09:41 AM
For new boats I agree with most of these posts that put Schiada, Howard, Hallett, Eliminator, DCB, etc... At or near the top. But if used boats are also in play, nobody built a better boat than Cole and their boats would also be up there with the best as well.:cool:

1stepcloser
11-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Eliminator!
But you could say that I'm biased.;)

Ultra5150
11-19-2003, 11:04 AM
I have to go with jbtrailerjim, he hit it right on the spot. Would I own the DCB if i could afford it? Probably.
But I love Ultra, I am on my second one and plan on buying my 28 from them if Momma ever gives me the go ahead. I cannot say enough good things about their staff, excellent customer service and desire to make the customer happy. Plus, it is a badass boat!

bear down
11-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CEOinSoCal
His first initial doesn't happen to be "D" does it?:D
I got the same result when we went to talk to him, but over all he's alright since I know 3 people who own Force boats.