PDA

View Full Version : BG fuel pump

Schiada76
11-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Finally worked the bugs out of my fuel delivery and was able to flog the hell out the boat for a few days. New problem came up though. Just had my BG pump rebuilt (by BG) and now when I back out of it after a WOT pass I lose pressure and slowly die. Pressure comes right back up after I die and it fires right back up. I first thought that I didn't have baffles in my tanks but I think it's pump related since it wasn't occuring before the rebuild. Talked to BG and they said to check the by pass pressure but not much advice after that. Anyone else encounter this problem and have any advice? :frown:

Sangster
11-19-2003, 10:01 AM
I had problems with BG Pressure Regulators too....Would not keep steady pressure.. I run a Holly mechanical fuel pump, thought it was the problem...Turned out to be the Regulator.....

blownmoney
11-19-2003, 10:05 AM
had problems with BG Pressure Regulators too....Would not keep steady pressure.. I run a Holly mechanical fuel pump, thought it was the problem...Turned out to be the Regulator.....
sangster which model is it?, is it the red ano'd regulator, what was the prob with it, i have that unit !!

Schiada76
11-19-2003, 10:27 AM
It's not the regulator for sure. There is a non regulated gauge at the dash that mainatins 12 to 14#'s pressure reading from the pump, gauge at the fuel log is set at 7 #'s after the regulator.
When I back out of it after WOT the dash gauge starts losing pressure and I slowly die and have to restart. I thought I was losing prime at the pump and thought that might have to do with the rebuild on the pump maybe drawing more efficiently and sucking a little air. I talked to the guy that rigged it in it's current condition and he said he never had that problem. BG said ther eis a possibility taht the pressure on the return is out of adjustment and needs to be at 17#'s. They didn't tell me if more or less pressure than that would cause this problem, they think the fuel may all be being diverted to the bypass and back to the tank.
I was wondering what pressure I should set the by pass to if this is the problem?:frown:

Sangster
11-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by blownmoney
sangster which model is it?, is it the red ano'd regulator, what was the prob with it, i have that unit !!
Yup.... It was the Red By-pass regulator... It Fluctuated 3-4lbs. We now use the Moroso Fuel Log/Regulator combo deal and have No problems.....

blownmoney
11-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Yup.... It was the Red By-pass regulator... It Fluctuated 3-4lbs. We now use the Moroso Fuel Log/Regulator combo deal and have No problems
shit i got two of those damn things, anyone know about the bg220 pumps?

Sangster
11-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Blown Money....I was out looking and I was wrong..:confused: ..It was a mallory regulator that we were having problems with..Sorry for the bum info....The Barry Grant's should do the job.....

77charger
11-19-2003, 04:52 PM
We run one on the race boat had probs at first sounded the same.They have to be mounted below the tank to work best as they do not suck to well but push very good.Ours is a 220 model.I think our tuner also turned up the pressure on the pump itself.They are finicky from what i learned but once set up correctly they work fine.Just to much work to get right IMO

Schiada76
11-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Talked to another tech at BG and he said to just adjust the pressure higher at the bypass and that also increases the pressure to the reg. Good excuse for another test and tune at the river.:D
Can't really comment on my satisfaction with the pump(220) since it was in the boat when I bought it but the reg has always worked fine, doesn't vary pressure at all.

Hud
11-19-2003, 05:48 PM
BradP, I talked to Barry Grant about there pumps & the 220 pump is not a continuous pump. They said it's for 1/4 mile only. They also said if I didn't plumb it like there diagram, and put the check valve after the carbs for the return line it wouldn't work! Not only that the guy got kind of shitty about the whole think! I told him to f*ck himself and I was on my way. If you go to there web site you can get the diagrams.

Screw loose
11-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Maybe you should go with a better setup, like the MagnaFlow Pro Star 500 or an Aeromotive!!

blownmoney
11-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Maybe you should go with a better setup, like the MagnaFlow Pro Star 500 or an Aeromotive!!
i'd love to do that , but unfortunatley i've got about 800 dollars worth of their stuff , so it better frickin work, hud, you said the 220 wasn't a continous pump?.. what do you mean? i was told it was a continous preset 15 psi?..

Hud
11-19-2003, 07:17 PM
blownmoney, I ask BG if I could use the 220 pump for lake duty and they said after about 2 mins. it would start to get hot & possibly damage it. A Mallory 250 pump is a continous pump that you can run 24 hrs. a day. BG has came out with some new pumps that are continous!

Heatseeker
11-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Hud
BradP, I talked to Barry Grant about there pumps & the 220 pump is not a continuous pump. They said it's for 1/4 mile only. They also said if I didn't plumb it like there diagram, and put the check valve after the carbs for the return line it wouldn't work! Not only that the guy got kind of shitty about the whole think! I told him to f*ck himself and I was on my way. If you go to there web site you can get the diagrams.
Same thing happened to me! I had bought a used 220 with a BG 2-port regulator. After talking to BG, I wound up running a Clay Smith mechanical and the BG regulator, which leaked from the begining. Since I had already plumbed in the BG, I bought a brand new BG and it doesn't hold pressure consistantly. The freaking gauge is all over the place!
I'm not impressed with BG or thier customer service department :( .

blownmoney
11-19-2003, 10:27 PM
anyone need a couple 220s and a couple regulators!!!..shit, there goes my lenco money!!!:frown:

Schiada76
11-20-2003, 09:19 AM
They make two different 220 pumps, one has the by pass built in to the fuel pump body and needs a return further down the line. The one with the built in by pass is suppossed to be continuous.
I didn't want to bag on them since it's a used pump when I bought it but their customer service does suck big time.

blownmoney
11-20-2003, 12:01 PM
They make two different 220 pumps, one has the by pass built in to the fuel pump body and needs a return further down the line. The one with the built in by pass is suppossed to be continuous
yeah i just found that aswell,shewwww, i have the continous model,, so no pumps for sale..lol

superdave013
11-20-2003, 12:17 PM
The best pump money can buy is only 100 bucks.
These things never fail.
Clay Smith 6 valve pump (http://66.216.115.167/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=221)

Schiada76
11-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Got one on the bench. Boats rigged with a return at the tank and a gauge at the dash for the electric pump so I need to keep it or an =. If this isn't the problem and I do need a t-tank I'll feed the tank with the Clay Smith mechanical.:D :D

Heatseeker
11-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
The best pump money can buy is only 100 bucks.
These things never fail.
Clay Smith 6 valve pump (http://66.216.115.167/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=221)
That's what I heard too. I've got no complaints so far(1/2 a season of run time).