PDA

View Full Version : SouthWind Tunnel?

HammerDown
11-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Would I be correct in believing this boat is like a GullWing type of hull thats also like a Sunkist etc?
Could someone post a pic of this SouthWind...thanks.

Bense468
11-20-2003, 04:59 PM
No a southwinds tunnel is a true tunnel. Not a gullwing

HammerDown
11-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Just what do ya mean a "true tunnel"? Like a Cat...no center pod...or a modified tunnel like a Daytona?

Jet City
11-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Aren't the SW tunnel and SW dragster one in the same, which is also what the later Placecrafts where based off.

HammerDown
11-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jet City Rebel
Aren't the SW tunnel and SW dragster one in the same, which is also what the later Placecrafts where based off.
Your asking me:confused: Im asking you:D Need a pic posted of this SouthWind Tunnel....;)

Cs19
11-20-2003, 05:25 PM
The southwind tunnell is called a southwind tunnell dragster. You guys are talking about the same hull.:D
It is a full tunnell boat, but the tunnels are VERY small or shallow, atleast they are when you compare them to a tunnell bottom like a performance or a daytona.The place and SW are very similar hulls,both need big horsepower to run big numbers.Great lake boats and a great looking hull in my opinion.

Jet City
11-20-2003, 05:31 PM
That question wasn't directed at you HD, I was just trying to get someone to verify that I was correct in that statement. I would have to concur with CS-19, a really bitchen looking hull.
Heres your Southwind tunnel dragster pic
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34930

Cs19
11-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Couple pics for you to study so you can remember what they look like. An easy way to tell its a SW is the extention or pod off the transom(both the placecraft and southwinds have these) usually the place will have a shorter extention or pod.The southwind has a small cover on top of this extention for access into the rear of the boat, and both boats will most likely have a set of fixed cavitation plates at the tops of the tunnells. I would think these plates only get used at lower speeds,atleast i hope they do.
PICS
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409DCP00648-med.JPG
In this pic you can see how shallow the tunnells actually are.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409DCP00651-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/409Dcp00481-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/409Dcp00479-med.jpg

HammerDown
11-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Wow, that really dose look like a placecraft...and not the gull wing hull I thought it was.
OK so how's this boat in the heaver chop? Also how about the construction of this hull? Any odd handeling habits?
Theres one not to far from me...thinking about it.
Thanks for all the help...thats why this is a great place;)

Cs19
11-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by HammerDown
Wow, that really dose look like a placecraft...and not the gull wing hull I thought it was.
OK so how's this boat in the heaver chop? Also how about the construction of this hull? Any odd handeling habits?
Theres one not to far from me...thinking about it.
Thanks for all the help...thats why this is a great place;)
The boat kinda sucks in chop, but dont all low profile jets? I dont think your going to see a huge improvement for rough water in any of the low pro boats unless its a v-bottom, and who wants a v-bottom?:D JUST KIDDING v-bottom guys!!!:D Basically you have to putt around anytime the water is choppy,going fast just isnt an option in rough conditions.
As far as the construction of the hull, i think its pretty dam good.We have had this boat since 1980,it does have a lake lay up,but it has been through hell and back- back in the day out at havasu it saw some pretty nasty stuff,it has held up very well in my opinion.For the most part there are no cracks due to stress.
As far as the handling, No problems for us, it ran 98 mph at its best with no problems, I think its a very safe hull for the lake.I hear guys have ran big nitro motors in these hulls at very high speeds, I wouldnt worry about that, as long as your set up is close you should be fine.Go get the boat,you will love it.Hope this helps some.

mouzer
11-20-2003, 06:21 PM
i will sell my sw dragster for $4500 runs 88 mph with the juice...found out i have to have back surgery asap....

slotracer
11-20-2003, 06:26 PM
hey cs how many horses were you running to get to 98.
i am putting together a blown 468 and i am hoping to be putting out at least 725 h.p. with it. i am hoping to get close to triple digits with it. hoping to start on mine next feb. or march depending on $$$$$$$$$$. thanks
pat(slotracer):D

fourspeednup
11-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by mouzer
i will sell my sw dragster for $4500 runs 88 mph with the juice...found out i have to have back surgery asap.just bought a brand new set of bassets for it...
Hmmmm, that sounds a lot like a boat I saw a while back:wink:

fourspeednup
11-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Hope everything works out.:(

HammerDown
11-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the feed back;)

fourspeednup
11-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Mouzer, I just posted the pics in the for sale thread

Cs19
11-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by SLOTRACER
hey cs how many horses were you running to get to 98.
i am putting together a blown 468 and i am hoping to be putting out at least 725 h.p. with it. i am hoping to get close to triple digits with it. hoping to start on mine next feb. or march depending on $$$$$$$$$$. thanks
Pat, I couldnt tell you what kind of H.P. we had with that motor, I was so young that I can barely remember those days, I believe it was a high compression BBC probably like 700-750 horse.It did run the 98 MPH, but let me tell you that the e.t. was nothing special. In my book thats what counts.
Just to give you a comparison, we are now running a 600 + horse motor (just a pump gas deal) in it now, and we are lucky to see 80-85,but it does leave pretty hard. I think he has some serious hardware issues to deal with after watching and driving his boat.Im no expert but I definatly think the boat is wayyy to wet at higher speeds and it for sure needs some attention. We recently had MPD go through the pump and had a brand new motor built last summer. With only 2 outings on the new set up, I think we can get some more out of her this coming summer.It will be a busy summer trying to dial in 2 boats.:D
If your motor puts out an honest 725 you should be running pretty good in that thing. Im sure you will be close to where you want to be,Good Luck with it and I know what you mean about the $$$ thing, these things are ridiculous to build.:D

Bense468
11-21-2003, 04:00 PM
CS just an FYI not all PC's ran the transom pod. There were some layed up without them.

Cs19
11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Copy that bense, I actually wrote that in my post origonally , but figured that would confuse him so i took it out.. i may be wrong but didnt they have a few with a different deck/dash design as well?
Or did someone make a splash of the O.G. Pc hull? Im not sure but I think Dennis nabone (NJBA competetor)has one of them.Maybe it was a hamilton or something.:confused: I forget.

Bense468
11-21-2003, 06:06 PM
I am pretty sure they did at one point have a different deck on them. I will have to find out. You are right though I have seen some with different decks on them. I am not sure about the guy you are talking about. What does his boat look like?

LVjetboy
11-22-2003, 01:36 AM
The PlaceCraft pod was cut and tunnel tabs modified in the early 90's. If I remember right, when I bought mine new in '91, Ron mentioned the next year or soon after they were changing molds. Here's a picture of the 1991 pod design...
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/Pod.gif
I know MikeC has a '96 PlaceCraft without the pod and with different tabs. So somewhere between 91 and 96. From my understanding, the dash design was capsule vs non-capsule. The non-capsule design like mine was for lake jets with side-by-side seating. The capsule design was for a center seat and had a raised deck to streamline airflow to the capsule. My PC has the lake deck, although I know they also made the raised deck in '91. Mike's PC has the raised deck even though his was dual seat.
I think the biggest difference between a SW tunnel and a PC tunnel is tunnel height. Here's dimensions on my PC...
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/PCProfile.gif
Southwind tunnels appear to be at least half the depth of a PC tunnel. I'm just guessing, but this may mean the Southwind can be quicker out of the hole. The PC may handle rough water better and be a bit more stable top end? Just a guess.
jer

PipesClean
11-22-2003, 01:59 AM
I was just going to mention your boat LV. I've always liked that boat. Now I understand you're about to go a little bit faster :D
I want to make it out to Mead this year and visit that sandstone place I've seen in your pics!

LVjetboy
11-22-2003, 03:02 AM
Mead's cool. Especially Narrows and Temple Bar. A bit faster almost certain. GPS run short just to document triple digits. I didn't monkey with trim or setup, just a quick run at 80 F by myself with exhaust plugs. With trim and setup adjustment alone I'm guessing another 2 mph. I always run muffles, so won't pop them for more speed. Other than a slight porpoise above 95 mph (I think from a bowed ride plate) the PC hull was very stable.
jer

Cs19
11-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/PCProfile.gif
Southwind tunnels appear to be at least half the depth of a PC tunnel. I'm just guessing, but this may mean the Southwind can be quicker out of the hole. The PC may handle rough water better and be a bit more stable top end? Just a guess.
jer
Thanks for the dimentions LV. Next time I get a chance I will get some measurements off the SW and my daytona for comparisons.
Bense, here is a pic of the boat im talking about.I have not seen him back at ming since last season.
http://njbaracing.net/gallery/images/02_04_NJBA_0600_783.jpg

bp
11-22-2003, 02:05 PM
the sw outter sponson is 2" below the top of the tunnel. center sponson is about 4.5". some people attach air dams to the inside of the inner sponson, making the tunnel a bit deeper. just need to be careful not to get it too close to the center sponson depth. big john also has air dams on his crusader tunnel.
on the later model pc's, there is still a very short pod. and, if you look closely, you'll see that the outter sponson edges are forward of the transom, so the difference in length (outter sponson vs center sponson) is roughly the same as it would be with the full length pod.
dennis ran in the 9.50 bracket last year with his blown pc, but didn't run this year (school or something).
pat, if you have a good pump with the impeller matched to your 725 peak hp, you should at least be able to get into the 90s. maybe run 11s, or possibly 10.50.

slotracer
11-23-2003, 06:10 AM
if i can get it into the mid 90's i would be more then happy.
i just picked up a jetaway for it also just in case something happen to the engine at speed.

Jake W
11-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Isn`t the Pink PC one of Jim Brocks guys?Pat you buy that used or new?

slotracer
11-23-2003, 07:47 AM
jake i got a used one from jim brock

Cs19
11-23-2003, 11:22 AM
slot, do you know if he has any more used jetaways? What can i expect to pay in the used market?

Bense468
11-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Okay CS I know who you are talking about. That is the Public Enemy boat. I am pretty sure he is Jim Brocks buddy.

slotracer
11-23-2003, 02:53 PM
cs don't know if he has anymore. he e-mailed me when i posted on the othet thread about needing one. its kinda like my yearly purchase from jim about this time for the last 2 years i have bought something from him. if you can find a used one its just kinda what they are willing to sell it for. but the price seems to be around $750.00 to $800.00.

Cs19
11-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Just for laughs I took some measurements off my daytona to compare with the SW and PC.The outside sponson is 5 1/4 from the top of the tunnell and the middle sponson is 6.5 below the top of the tunnell.
If I remember correctly someone around here said the tunnell on a cal. performance is an exact copy of the daytona.:confused: From the pics I have, it looks like its a possibility,but maybe they are a little bit shallow or not as deep on the cp.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409DCP00759-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/409Dcp00472-med.jpg http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/409Dcp00476-med.jpg

Bense468
11-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Who's white CP?

TRG
11-23-2003, 07:56 PM
i think that is jimmy burrows comp jet! the one with purple. if im not mistaken, he pulled two or three passes at ming last week at high 7's? anybody know what happened out there? whatever happened, i heard that he had to run it again 'cause one of the competiters complained that his boat could'nt be that fast! any info on this subject? todd

TRG
11-24-2003, 06:35 PM
i guess nothing?

Cs19
11-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
i think that is jimmy burrows comp jet! the one with purple. if im not mistaken, he pulled two or three passes at ming last week at high 7's? anybody know what happened out there? whatever happened, i heard that he had to run it again 'cause one of the competiters complained that his boat could'nt be that fast! any info on this subject? todd
Bense, those are both cps. The one with the pop off is H.Traylors and the other is J.Burrows like Todd mentioned.They both haul ass.:D
Todd, I dont know much about what happened out there, I never made it up to ming that weekend,I only got a little info on the races from some friends who went, that sucks he had to run twice,Tom Bandy was in a similar situation and had to run twice as well.Anyway I did hear Burrows did set a record of some sort out there, but I do not know the details.I do know the conditions were excellent for the racers.NJBA results are up if your interested.

TRG
11-26-2003, 07:04 PM
thanks cs for the reply!

bp
11-27-2003, 09:28 AM
the cp tunnels are not quite as deep as the eliminator tunnels, but the delta between the center sponson and the outter sponsons is about the same. tunnel width is very close.
tom bandy had to run a second final because his competition, randy moline, didn't know the final was being run. there was a first call to the lanes, but that was it. when it's a final, there's usually a first call, second call, final call, etc. tom went down, waited, then they put him in the water for a single without trying to find out what was up with randy. when randy finally found out he was called, he talked to the race director and they decided to re-run. kind of an "unwritten rule", and one of the things you learn is to work with your competition to agree on a time to arrive at the lane, make sure you're both there unless somebody is so broke they will not be able to make it.
first, jim burroughs was in a points battle for the 8 second championship. the boat had never gone into the 7s before, so when it did, it really messed them up. they didn't really believe it, so asked for a re-run, and it did it again (or came very close). i do know that he had run an 8.03 earlier this year, because i have the time slip to prove it (i was in the other lane during bracket qualifying). getting really good air like that can sometimes cause surprises.
one problem jim had was in the compjet final against jim guthrie, his rev limiter did something i'm sure they hadn't planned on, and he was stuck at 4000 rpm 'til about half track, so he lost that one. otherwise, that boat was really hauling azz.

TRG
11-27-2003, 02:23 PM
jims father had told me back in june that he would break into the high 7's and that all that they needed was good air temp, i guess he was right! from what i heard is 1st, he "red lit"(7:77) 2nd(7:8?) and the 3rd was like just under 8sec.
"not too terribly bad,...for a pump boat"!!! would you agree?

bp
11-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
jims father had told me back in june that he would break into the high 7's and that all that they needed was good air temp, i guess he was right! from what i heard is 1st, he "red lit"(7:77) 2nd(7:8?) and the 3rd was like just under 8sec.
"not too terribly bad,...for a pump boat"!!! would you agree?
not terribly bad? well, the pgj national record is 7.81, and the last race we ran the biz (2001 njba finals), we ran 7.72-3 all weekend long with the good air. no one has come close to the pgj record since then.
the compjet record is about 4 -5 tenths higher than that. in other words, jim is easily running 3 tenths under the national record, even when the air is mediocre. THERE ARE NO OTHER COMP JETS IN THE NATION THAT ARE RUNNING CLOSE TO HIM! if they wanted to, they could run pce in ihba and do very very well next year.
as an aside, i really think he needs to get a popoff on that boat. they aren't running terribly high speeds, but it's better to be safe than sorry, and if he tried it, he'd really like it.