PDA

View Full Version : transmission

hellbound
11-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Ok guys take it easy on me ok im a rookie here. has anyone ever tried a tranny in a jetboat?would it work?:rolleyes:

Jake W
11-21-2003, 06:55 PM
O no you dint .Yea in a V drive.they made a gear reduction box at one time .You get that stuff on the boat yet?
Jake:D

oknozelman
11-22-2003, 07:22 PM
I think they don't because a jet starts to lose it's efsiciency after about 6500 rpm, so there is no need for more gear.

hellbound
11-23-2003, 12:12 PM
ok i was just thinking no i havent got in on yet im waiting till i get it all and do it all at once.Im pulling the engine to paint it.so im going to get in on the stand.theck out the bottom end.im still looking for some heads.so i can boost up the compression a little.thinking about going with a roller set up to. and thanks for not tearing me up on the tranny ? LOL

hellbound
11-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Jake is that your pump set up in your picture?

UBFJ #454
11-23-2003, 01:38 PM
Trannies have been, and are now being used in several drag boats. They are being used as pump rpm reduction devices for engines that need to go "Upstairs" to produce their max Hp. At best, I'd say results of their use is mixed. Those who have seriously experimented with their use have found that it is better to design their engine(s) so that they produce their max Hp to match pump rpm efficiency.

Jake W
11-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Yes Hellbound that was how the pump was on the Tahiti.On the new project boat it will have from the bowl back on it.But it will be a diffrent intake and suction pice still Berkeley just a G intake and suction rather than a C not that it matters just got this one with my Kachina(old project) and it was machined all ready for a shoe and ride plate.
Jake

hellbound
11-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Thats some trick set up. Is your pump set back also?

Jake W
11-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Well it was not set back persay,if you measured the distance from the hole of the intake to the very back ot the transom it was 2 1/2 inches so compared to some boats it would be set back but in this case it was cut that far back bt Tahiti origanly.I could have only set it back one more inch unless it was going to be set back out of the back of the boat so I decited tro leave it there.Alot of people have their pump set back so that half ofthe hand hole cover is out and half in ,on my Tahiti it was allmost like that to begine with.
Jake:D

hellbound
11-25-2003, 11:01 PM
THATS BAD ASS:D

pops1
11-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
O no you dint .Yea in a V drive.they made a gear reduction box at one time .You get that stuff on the boat yet?
Jake:D YOUR RIGHT-CASALE HAS HAD ONE OUT FOR YEARS-ITS NOT A TRANNY-ITS A GEAR REDUCTION BOX-OWENS MAKES ONE ALSO. WORKs WELL WITH THE SCHMITT TYPE MOTORS
HIGH REV'S ON THE MOTOR TO POWER BAND/ UNDER DRIVING THE PUMP 21-31 %=TORQUE(THE PUMPS FRIEND)=BIGGER IMPELLER=MORE EFFICIENT PUMP & THE DREAM GO'S ON ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROP GUY TO HURT HIS FEELINGS AND SENT HOME IN A BAD MOOD. HAVE YOU EVER NOTICED, PROP GUYS NEVER WEAR MOOD RINGS AROUND JETTERS!:p

pops1
11-26-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by oknozelman
I think they don't because a jet starts to lose it's efsiciency after about 6500 rpm, so there is no need for more gear. WHERE DID YOU EVER GET THIS NUMBER FROM.

CrdStang
12-13-2003, 01:41 PM
In Australia some crazy aussie lobster fishermen run a gearbox with a jet. They throw it in reverse to clear crap out of the pickup/jet, or so I've heard.
They also have a 1/2" thick x 6" wide x length of the hull replaceable aluminum plate over the keel. They'll wait for a surge to come in, ramp over a reef, grab their lobster trap and do the same thing again on the way out.
I guess there is something to be said for an aluminum hull..