PDA

View Full Version : Safe at home

Sangerboy
11-22-2003, 04:34 PM
For those who are wondering, I am real person and I do have a boat. Here's a shot of the trip home Fridayhttp://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/411DSCF0045-med.jpg

Sangerboy
11-22-2003, 04:39 PM
I'll call this shot "happy birthday to me"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/411DSCF0046-med.jpg

Kurtis500
11-22-2003, 04:53 PM
DAMNIT! For half a second there I thought my boat got stolen!:D :D :D ;)
Where in AZ did you find that? Wonder if that guy ever had seen my boat?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/518/7flatwithheaders-med.JPG
Nice boat. What make and year is it?

TRG
11-22-2003, 04:56 PM
now thats just plain ironic!...but way cool!!!

Sangerboy
11-22-2003, 05:11 PM
It's an '89 Canyon :D Guru beat me to it when Mi Pinque (Matt) was selling it earlier this year but patience paid off for me when it became available again:D
Didn't let it get away this time. Matt lives in AZ but I'm not sure where:confused:
Eerily similar paint schemes though. This one will change a bit before you see it again however:cool:

wsuwrhr
11-22-2003, 05:16 PM
Kurtis500, if I didn't know any better, I would think your boat has a Dodge in it. Looks like a B or RB. Have I lost my mind?
Brian
I didn't mean to hijack the thread, the similarities are cool. Different AZ#'s though, so I know someone isn't posting under two differnt names ****ing with everyone.

scottys
11-23-2003, 03:53 AM
Did you get it with the Lenco?

cdnguitarsnboats
11-23-2003, 05:37 AM
Sangerboy,
I really have to commend you on your taste in both boats and trucks. Duallies just make everything better.
Question for anyone who knows: what sort of differences are there between Canyon, Cole, and Hondo t-decks? I've noticed that Canyons seems to be preferred by hardcore racers, and I was wondering why?
Congrats on your find, and I'm a big fan of the "happy birthday to me" program.
Jim

Sangerboy
11-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by scottys
Did you get it with the Lenco?
Unfortunately no, it had already been sold. Although my long range plans don't include one, I would like to get one to run and get some seat time in the boat while running my BBC that's currently in eraser's boat ( but not for long;) )

eraser
11-23-2003, 09:51 AM
[i]Originally posted by Sangerboy I would like to get one to run and get some seat time in the boat while running my BBC that's currently in eraser's boat ( but not for long;) ) [/B]Hey can't we talk about this? lmao!!! looks good bro I cant wait to see it! I also perscribe to the happy birthday to me way of thinking, in fact it is my mantra!!!! ;) :D and to think after all these years to find out you are a real person . I am shocked!:D :D :D

Sangerboy
11-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by cdnguitarsnboats
Sangerboy,
I really have to commend you on your taste in both boats and trucks. Duallies just make everything better.
Question for anyone who knows: what sort of differences are there between Canyon, Cole, and Hondo t-decks? I've noticed that Canyons seems to be preferred by hardcore racers, and I was wondering why?
Congrats on your find, and I'm a big fan of the "happy birthday to me" program.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I'm not near as knowledgeable as some of the people on the boards here so I hope they jump in and correct, clarify and add to the basics that I'll try and give you. All three boats you mentioned are very similar(runner bottoms with dropped chines and air traps-save the Cole TR-1 which does not have dropped chines) the devil is in the details . There are substantial differences just in the Cole bottoms. The TR-2 is generally preferred overall for good handling and tunability (is that a word?) The TR-3 has a lot more rocker in the bottom, some say too much others say in the right hands it's faster- not as many of those around. The TR-4 has a straighter bottom but depending on the individual hull can require more bottom work to make it quick. The Canyon is a refinement of the Cole series. After Mettler left Cole he developed The Canyon hull and it has proven to be quick and stable with a lot of power. Some of the current racers use a Bitz hull nowdays also known as waylate because it can take awhile to get it delivered after the order is placed. I hope others fill in the gaps I've left because I think the history of flattie development is interesting:cool:
BTW I love that truck Very comfortable for long trips, It's a diesel with a Stage 2 Banks kit that I put on it. After years of crawling up Baker grade in 2nd gear in my dads old trucks with the heater on to help keep it from overheating, this truck will pull it with the boat at 70 mph, 110 degrees outside, AC blasting and not even stressing it. I got 17 mpg on the trip home Friday:D

Sangerboy
11-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by eraser
Hey can't we talk about this? lmao!!! looks good bro I cant wait to see it! I also perscribe to the happy birthday to me way of thinking, in fact it is my mantra!!!! ;) :D and to think after all these years to find out you are a real person . I am shocked!:D :D :D
Whoa dude you're becoming a regular post ho, What is that 3 in 3 days? I don't think you have much to worry about until after the first. I doubt I'll end up with enough time to assemble either of my packages for CFW. The pink boat will live for a little longer:cool:

T-Bag
11-23-2003, 01:25 PM
The hondos and dimarcos also made early runners that stopped at the plates. TR-1 was that way the TR-2 (and the tr stands for tunnel runner) was designed for blown aplications had a 5/8 runner. The TR-3 had 3/4 runner and alot more rocker. The TR-4 has a raised edge deck with a 7/8 runner and took some of the rocker out. The canyon is in fact (supposed) to be a refinment of the Dimarco. Mettler worked for Sunny and when the doors closed at Dimarco Wayne ended up with the molds did a change and since he lived in Canyon Country called them Canyon Marine. This is all knowlegde gathered over the years and costantly hears different versions. This is correct to the best of my knowlegde but I could be wrong...

Sangerboy
11-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks T-bag, I knew there would be better info out there. :cool: Let's get some more on the subject

Fiat48
11-23-2003, 03:49 PM
My 82 Canyon was the best boat I ever had. Fast and forgiving. The best part about buying a Canyon was that Wayne was always at the races(still is) and would help you any way he could. It was very important to him that his boats went fast. Jim Cole was more for the Blown Arias racer. Although Sunny Jones sold Cole boats, he was the one who told me to get a Canyon.
What T bag has said is what I always heard. Lot of guys bad mouthed the Tr-3, probably due to the rocker.
Also note that many race boats had the bottoms reworked by Jim Lange. The bottom work Lange did made the boats very tricky to drive. Some guys could not adjust and had them changed back.

LilFlattie
11-24-2003, 02:22 AM
Didn't Mettler drive a Hondo in the early days?I also heard that he worked for the too?????

Kurtis500
11-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Hey Brian, Yep thats a 383 Chrysler. Runs great and has years and plenty of hours on it. Set-up works perfect for skiing. I stuck those registration numbers on in 95 when I painted the boat intending to take them off for some nice custom ones. I see I never got around to it.:rolleyes:

T-Bag
11-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by LilFlattie
Didn't Mettler drive a Hondo in the early days?I also heard that he worked for the too?????
Yes I also heard that Mettler worked for hondo and I think possibly cole but ended up at Dimarco.....