PDA

View Full Version : I have Dream...

Stab-n-Steer
11-22-2003, 07:33 PM
I have a dream... I want to go 150mph in a flatbottom. My good friend Jim Anderson said that this is the place for advice... I work for Jim at his Mexican restaurant. It's the only one in Flagstaff... I wired his exhaust hood but that's another story... Anyway, I have a 16' 1958 Biesemeyer Bubble-Back with a 348 Chevy... I'm planning to run a full race cam with pop-up pistons and Split-Fire spark plugs. I'm sure it will make enough power but I'm concerned about safety... Money's a little tight right now. Jim don't pay so well, especially after the exhaust hood problem... I can't afford the latest Lifeline gear so I plan to wear my high school football helmet and one of those belt-type ski vests like the Go-Go's wore in their music video... Any help and advice would be appreciated. I heard that 126Driver is a very helpful person so I am hoping he will jump in and give me a hand... Remember, 150 is my dream. Please help me make it come true.:)
S&S

Fiat48
11-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Start by taking the 348 to a machine shop and having it bored out 2 cubic inches. New bore size will be 4.140. That way it will be easy to find good parts for a "350" instead of a 348. Selection of the other engine parts is simple. Pick the largest camshaft you can find in the catalog. Do the same with the other parts. Nothin to it.
I can tell by your mention of Split Fire spark plugs that you are serious in this matter.
As far as boat prep, you don't need much. Just put 3 coats of wax on the boat and also spray the bottom of the boat with graphite. Jeyboatguru has propellors you can borrow.
That should do it.
PS: Corrected altitude (air density) is very important to reach the speed you request. Try to find a lake that is far below sea level in static elevation and make your runs on cold, dry and preferably windy days. 140 mph winds are best.

V-Drive Tom
11-22-2003, 09:02 PM
:) AV-GAS---LONG ZOOMIES---2.1 gear ratio..........That will help:D

MikeF
11-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Nice avatar Tom! :p ;) :D

Fiat48
11-22-2003, 09:09 PM
The lowest body of water I could find for best air advantage is here: http://www.livinglakes.org/deadsea/.
Evidently nothing can live in this water, but the air has gotta be killer! It's also the world's saltiest large body of water. So that means your shit will float..or maybe you will not sink if you crash. Couldn't find anything out about the weather and wind, but sure others will chime in with more details or a better place to run.
Gonna be a long winter :rolleyes:

21rayson
11-23-2003, 12:53 AM
try taking 10 valuim and drink a 12 pack of beer of your choice and you be at 150 in no time:eek: :eek: :eek:

DansBlown73Nordic
11-23-2003, 05:46 AM
When you woke up from your dream did you find the front of your pants were all wet?:eek:

126driver
11-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Is it going to be like this all winter? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

old rigger
11-23-2003, 08:22 AM
hey stabber,
I have a friend that knows a guy that runs a big diesel truck at bonniville. That big mother runs a 195 or something like that. I bet if strapped your little beezer to the back of that thing, it'd do 150 at least. And you know B-ville is just a big dried up lake, so it'd be just a cool.
I miss the go gos.
Did you ever get that article on the Paterson brothers running that adjustable propped cracker that I sent you?

LeE ss13
11-23-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by 126driver
Just remember Scott .... our winter runs from after Thanksgivings until April !!!

11-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Who the **** are the Go Gos? Here's a little speed tip for ya, some night after the Mexican restaurant closes "borrow" that grease hood, I bet it'll make one hellofa air scoop.:D

Stab-n-Steer
11-23-2003, 09:27 AM
You started it Pal...:wink:
S&S

Stab-n-Steer
11-23-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by old rigger
hey stabber,
I have a friend that knows a guy that runs a big diesel truck at bonniville. That big mother runs a 195 or something like that. I bet if strapped your little beezer to the back of that thing, it'd do 150 at least. And you know B-ville is just a big dried up lake, so it'd be just a cool.
I miss the go gos.
Did you ever get that article on the Paterson brothers running that adjustable propped cracker that I sent you?
Cool! And I wouldn't even have to start the motor!:rolleyes:
Negative on the article Old Rig... I was gonna bug you about it. Did you send it to my Nevada City (CA) address?
I miss the Go Go's too. They're probaby all married and fat now... We'll have to educate 058 on the first all chick band... and they weren't even lesbos either!:p
S&S

old rigger
11-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Stab-n-Steer
Cool! And I wouldn't even have to start the motor!:rolleyes:
Negative on the article Old Rig... I was gonna bug you about it. Did you send it to my Nevada City (CA) address?
I miss the Go Go's too. They're probaby all married and fat now... We'll have to educate 058 on the first all chick band... and they weren't even lesbos either!:p
S&S
Stabber,
yeah I sent it quite a while ago to that address, Ill send another tomorrow.
The go gos had a reunion thing last year, or ,maybe the year before, and I saw them on a show talking about it. You're right, they just aren't the same as they were 20+ years ago. But then, neither am I!

AzDon
11-23-2003, 01:51 PM
I miss the Go Go's too. They're probaby all married and fat now... We'll have to educate 058 on the first all chick band
S&S [/B]
What about the Runaways....Lita Ford's and Joan Jett's original gig?

Stab-n-Steer
11-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Thanks Old Rig,
I'm trying to put together a little history booklet on Crackers so your article will be essential...
S&S

Stab-n-Steer
11-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by AzDon
What about the Runaways....Lita Ford's and Joan Jett's original gig?
Wow, you got me on that one Don... I remember both ladies but not the Runaways... What years were they together?
S&S

old rigger
11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Stabber,
digging through my shit I found another article from 1951 about crackers I'll send too. It also mentinons Bob Patterson, picture of his cracker too, Hot Cinders.......... in '51!
There's also a one page deal that explains the rules of the class at that time, and a table of offsets which shows the half breadths and heights from base for the hulls. I found an old book on boat building (from the 30s) years ago that explained to a dumb ass like me how to read all that stuff. Never built a wood boat, but now I can understand what all that stuff means.
Another from '52 that shows records and speeds.
I'm going to look for some more cracker stuff, so don't look for anything in the mail until the end of the week or so. I'll send it all at once.
AZ don,
Weren't the runaways mid 70's? I worked with Joan Jett on a project back in '97. Super nice, but pretty tough. She looked like, and possibly so, she coulda kicked my ass in a heart beat.

126driver
11-24-2003, 09:03 PM
S&S
The little brunette - was she the drummer or the bass player? Man I had a thing for her! You just knew she was the slutty one - not quite as good looking as the rest so she had to try harder!!;) :D :D :D

126driver
11-24-2003, 09:05 PM
You started it Pal...:wink:
S&S
Man do we have a lot to talk about Bob - I thought you cracker guys were smarter than that. :wink: :wink: :D

Stab-n-Steer
11-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by old rigger
I'm going to look for some more cracker stuff, so don't look for anything in the mail until the end of the week or so. I'll send it all at once.
Old Rig,
You da Man!:D Seriously, thank you very much for taking the time.
Have great Thanksgiving!
S&S

Stab-n-Steer
11-25-2003, 10:11 AM
Man do we have a lot to talk about Bob - I thought you cracker guys were smarter than that. :wink: :wink: :D
Driver,
There only one person dumber than a Crackerbox Driver - The Rider! You noticed what seat I was in this year... :rolleyes:
S&S