PDA

View Full Version : Truth now

Kim Hanson
11-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Does seem to be normal for a v-drive, would this be called slow..It's all stock and I never got to gps her yet, tell me please (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72no_fear.MPG)

Hud
11-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Kim, what kind of carb do you have on it. A holley 750 double pumper would work good on a stocker. A real low gear would help too!

Kim Hanson
11-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Hud
Kim, what kind of carb do you have on it. A holley 750 double pumper would work good on a stocker. A real low gear would help too!
Just by that video, does it seem somewhat fast? I seen some fast shit on here and I'am only wondering...mine a turtle?.....( . )( . ).........:D

Rexone
11-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Kim, Speed is relevant. Plus your video doesn't really do much for judging what speed your going. Are you asking if 80mph is slow for example? ... compared to a 140 mph boat, yes. Compared to a average older flatbottom you'd typically find on the lake, probably not. And I'm not suggesting your boat is 80mph, just a number I picked. You need to check it with radar or GPS then figure out what you want to compare it to. If you need any help btw feel free to PM me any time. You need some basis of hard info though before anyone can give you meaningful answers depending on what you're trying to achieve with the boat.
:)

BigBoyToys
11-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Kim Hanson
Just by that video, does it seem somewhat fast? I seen some fast shit on here and I'am only wondering...mine a turtle?.....( . )( . ).........:D
Kim, what Rexone said is absolutely correct. Speed is relevent. If you are happy with it and the speeds that you get out of it, it is fast. SOme of these guys on this board have some A$$kicking boats that are waayyy faster than I want to go (or can afford to go) but I am happy with it so that's all that matters. If you are happy with what you have and how fast it is, then it is fast. If you want to go faster, I just saw that the motor that JetBoatGuru was running with in the PGF class in the "Abyss" is for sale. It's only $20,000.00 and I'm sure that it's worth every penny of it and it will add a few MPH to your GPS for sure;) :D

Jetboatguru
11-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Kim,
No BS here, the video is dark and poor quality so it is difficult to see the boat. By listenening to it I would guess that it is not seeing anything above 5500 rpms. I can only assume that is has near an 18 gear. In my opinion, you have a boat that is running between 65 and 75mph. It is bouncing the whole way which means it does not have enough power to carry the nose. That will scrub speed. That is what it seems to me.
Tony

Jetboatguru
11-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Kim seriously,
I am going to adjust my first numbers I put out. I think it is going between 55-65mph. Is it coughing when you hit the gas or stumbling?

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Kim.....My 440 turns 6400rpm with 19% gear and an 11.5x16 prop. My speed is in the 80's. I wish I had 12% gears for it but for a lake boat its fine. I have a smaller 2 blade prop but never tried it.

Kim Hanson
11-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Jetboatguru
Kim seriously,
I am going to adjust my first numbers I put out. I think it is going between 55-65mph. Is it coughing when you hit the gas or stumbling?
Shitty microphone on my camera, it runs great.....( . )( . ).........:)

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Just for info Kim. I weighed my boat and trailer on a scale and it came out to 3300 lbs. Figure a 1000lbs +/- for the trailer and that boat is heavy compared to the newer flats. Basically is means it takes alot more hp to go faster compared to the lighter wieght of newer boats. I dumped a lot of money in my motor to get where its at and it ain't much more than a ski boat.

Jimmy Jam Jam Jim
11-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Dang that looks like fun.

Jetboatguru
11-23-2003, 07:23 PM
That saw this video? Does anybody else have anything to add? Been gone all weekend and I am ready to post :D

BigBoyToys
11-23-2003, 07:26 PM
That saw this video? Does anybody else have anything to add? Been gone all weekend and I am ready to post :D
It's dark?:)

BigBoyToys
11-23-2003, 07:30 PM
ok, although I saw the video when Kim first posted it a few weeks ago, I just watched it again.
Hey Kim, is your foot all the way in that? Sure doesn't sond like there's alot of RPM's there. And I also hear what JBG hears right near the beginning of the video but it clears up later....is it loading up on you?

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 07:30 PM
If I remember right Tony, Kim is running a t-handle for cav control. It looks like its porpoising real bad. Never really set. Mine use to do that bad until I changed gears and did the motor work. Kinda pulls through it now. Also I adjusted the cav plates. They still aren't right but haven't had it running long enough to ask for help on the water.
This is how mine rides now. http://www.dragboatrace.com/movies/me1.WMV

BigBoyToys
11-23-2003, 07:35 PM
I think I am also hearing a miss in it throughout the run. Could be my hearing though;)

BigBoyToys
11-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
This is how mine rides now. http://www.dragboatrace.com/movies/me1.WMV
Mike, motor sounds pretty good! I couldn't see any video though:confused: It's probably a WinAmp issue....
EDITED: Ok, I just watched it through Windows Media Player and can see it now. Looks alright to me! 2 hops and you're there!

Monkey Bung
11-23-2003, 07:44 PM
If it has a handle run it cowboy style hee haww:D

Jetboatguru
11-23-2003, 07:44 PM
That sounds night and day different than what Kim's sounded like. His motor just doesn't wind up like yours. Try a smaller gear Kim.

Dan Risolio
11-23-2003, 07:46 PM
What engine do you have in there Kindsvater?

Jetboatguru
11-23-2003, 07:47 PM
I think it's a Dodge Dan.

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Dan Risolio
What engine do you have in there Kindsvater?
440 Chrysler
motor (http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/oil2.jpg)

Dan Risolio
11-23-2003, 07:50 PM
It runs great. Do you take it to Camp far West?
I am thinking about making the trip up there. I don't know much about the area though.

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 07:51 PM
I take it there for fathers day. I will be there on new years but without the boat.
Its a nice area in the spring. There are a bunch of pictures of Camp Far West over at http://www.dragboatrace.com under pictures. Just pick the year.

Dan Risolio
11-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Clean setup. I like the old school velocity stacks. Hopefully I'll see ya up on the First?

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks Dan!:)

waterloged
11-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Hay K-flat is that boat of yours a true flat or a runner?

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Its a runner bottom. Harold asked how I aquired it. He knows everyone he built runner bottoms for. I think you can count them on 2 hands.

Rexone
11-23-2003, 08:51 PM
I think it's a Dodge Dan.
I thought they passed a law back in the 80's dissallowing those old engines on the basis of too much noise for the little hp they produced. :confused:
Maybe I'm wrong, might have been a Ford I'm thinkin of.

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
I thought they passed a law back in the 80's dissallowing those old engines on the basis of too much noise for the little hp they produced. :confused:
Maybe I'm wrong, might have been a Ford I'm thinkin of.
Nope Guru is always right. Its dodge. All went to hell after the 392 hemi died.

BGMAN203
11-23-2003, 09:28 PM
I will have to say like 55mph. Like guru said. Every time that boat bounces up and down you scrub speed. Motor doesn't sound very good, but you have already said its a bad mic. What were you doing with the plate in that run?? Also what type of hull is it? I am sure you have said before but refresh everyones memory so you can get all the help we can give ya.
Brian

V-DRIVE VIDEO
11-23-2003, 09:43 PM
Kim, pm me your address and I'll send ya some short clips of fast properly set up flattys compared to slow improperly set up flattys.
FREE!!:cool:

396_Z
11-23-2003, 10:45 PM
The miss is a bad mic, you can hear it cut out the background noise as well.
I'm no pro but as a BBC enthusiast I'm certain that the engine isn't winding up real tight, not like it should at least. Sounds to me like a made to pass emmisions 454 not a real crisp "let's make some power" note that you hear in peformance engines.

Kindsvater Flat
11-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by 396_Z
The miss is a bad mic, you can hear it cut out the background noise as well.
I'm no pro but as a BBC enthusiast I'm certain that the engine isn't winding up real tight, not like it should at least. Sounds to me like a made to pass emmisions 454 not a real crisp "let's make some power" note that you hear in peformance engines.
Its a 440 mopar in his boat.

396_Z
11-23-2003, 11:22 PM
So sue me, I thought everybody with anything respectable ran a BBC....
Still isn't turning the rpm's

Kim Hanson
11-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by O.B eddie
Ya know I think Kimme loaded the wrong clip? I think he was trolling for some of them big ice fish up there!!! Kimberly load the other one!!!!! :) Hee Haw
This one (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72loud.MPG) I know its dark, it runs great and Hud it has a doublepumper on it and I just found the guy that had it before this guy that I got it from, he's out of town for a few days!
That first video,I had it on the 3rd notch on my rachet? I don't know what to do with this thing , need more seat time....Thanks for your time and answers:cool: .......( . )( . ).........:)

Jetboatguru
11-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Kim without an adjustable pedal, you are going to struggle to keep the boat from hopping. You have to be able to give it down pedal (peddle, how the hell do you spell it?) at different times. The torque of the propeller trying to launch the nose of the boat up to the moon needs to be met with down force on the plates. You are not able to do that since you don't have a pedal (peddle) damn how the hell do you spell it?

Sangster
11-25-2003, 06:19 PM
ped·al n. 1. a. A foot-operated lever used for actuating or controlling a mechanism, as in a loom, a sewing machine, a piano, organ or an ass-dragging flat bottom boat. b. A similar foot-operated part attached to a crank and used for powering various devices, such as a bicycle. 2. Music. a. A pedal point. b. A pedal keyboard. adj. 1. Of or relating to a pedal. 2. Of or relating to a foot or footlike part: the pedal extremities. v. ped·aled or ped·alled ped·al·ing or ped·al·ling ped·als or ped·als. v. –intr. 1. To use or operate a pedal or pedals. 2. To ride a bicycle. v. –tr. To operate the pedals of.
ped·dle v. ped·dled, ped·dling, ped·dles. v. –tr. 1. a. To travel about selling (wares): peddling goods from door to door. b. To engage in the illicit sale of (narcotics). 2. Informal. To seek to disseminate; give out: peddling lies. v. –intr. 1. To travel about selling wares. 2. To occupy oneself with trifles.

Kim Hanson
11-25-2003, 07:51 PM
Kim without an adjustable pedal, you are going to struggle to keep the boat from hopping. You have to be able to give it down pedal (peddle, how the hell do you spell it?) at different times. The torque of the propeller trying to launch the nose of the boat up to the moon needs to be met with down force on the plates. You are not able to do that since you don't have a pedal (peddle) damn how the hell do you spell it?
What you see as hopping in the first one, launching it yes...3 clicks and it seemed really smooth to the point that it seems to float to the right, is that normal?
I get all Winter to try to make her look sweet and try to rip, Nitrous first..cheap hp! I want to also get a prop release, first.:D ........( . )( . ).........

Hud
11-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Kim, the down pedal setup is the way to go! Kept your eyes out for a used one this winter! As far as the nitrous go's, don't go to big without good parts. I still say a smaller gear and prop would make a big differents. What size prop and gear do you have now?

BGMAN203
11-25-2003, 09:31 PM
What you see as hopping in the first one, launching it yes...3 clicks and it seemed really smooth to the point that it seems to float to the right, is that normal?
I get all Winter to try to make her look sweet and try to rip, Nitrous first..cheap hp! I want to also get a prop release, first.:D ........( . )( . ).........
I would too stay away from the Nitrous, espically w/o a down pedal. I would put a down pedal in the same category as saftey equipment for you. You can't go fast (safely) in a flat with out a down pedal. Just my $.02

Rexone
11-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Kim, leave the nitrous on the shelf till you get the boat handling correctly. Get a down pedddddal installed in that rig. If you need pics of correct rigging on the pedel dealio I'm sure some of these guys can show you how their's is set up with some digital pics. The last thing you need is more power in a boat that isn't handling all that well. You'll never have that level of control with just a T-handle. You can set it up in "over-ride" fashion so you can retain the handle for crusing around and skiing and so forth and use the pedal for down plate only when you need it at higher speeds. I've had several set up this way, works good.

Blown 472
11-26-2003, 09:09 AM
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/post-3-1069628025.jpg
Or get a garage, ****in eh, hanson, dont they have blue garages up nort?

Sangerboy
11-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/uploads/post-3-1069628025.jpg
Or get a garage, ****in eh, hanson, dont they have blue garages up nort?
I hope the block and heads were drained:eek:

Kim Hanson
11-26-2003, 03:59 PM
It's in the garage now Blown, that was an overnight snow dump....she's all warm now:D .......( . )( . )............:cool:
That would be cool if someone could post up some pictures of this pedal config. I have not seen this!

Rexone
12-03-2003, 07:25 PM
I've cleaned this thread up of the bs content and am reopening it because it's got some useful tech in it.
(I'll have no problem relocking it though if First Timer, Screw Loose and Kim resume their gay bantering here)

Kim Hanson
12-05-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
I've cleaned this thread up of the bs content and am reopening it because it's got some useful tech in it.
(I'll have no problem relocking it though if First Timer, Screw Loose and Kim resume their gay bantering here)
I don't start the shit Mike and I try to look away, but shit happens!..........( . )( . ).....:D

coolchange
12-05-2003, 06:42 PM
I'll take a guess. Big ol 3 blade, stock strut, 18's, and no cylinder heads. geat for skiing.:D

Kim Hanson
12-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by coolchange
I'll take a guess. Big ol 3 blade, stock strut, 18's, and no cylinder heads. geat for skiing.:D
Its a 2 blade, the rest " I don't know "....I found out tonight said its a Marlin, talked to the guy that had it before the guy, I bought it from:cool: ..........( . )( . ).........
So are Marlins goodboats?I'am ready for the chit boys, throw slow though..I drive a slow boat:D

coolchange
12-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Seriously though.I'm big on basics. Make sure everthing is where its supposed to be first. Timing, Carb, fuel. Then make changes one thing at a time. Me personaly? the people who know how to make boats work know about props.

Rexone
12-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Kim, here are some pics of my Schiada install on the foot override. Note that this is not typical of a flatbottom 100% in that it incorporates a bellcrank setup to create mechanical advantage so it's easier to keep pressure on during a long race. You will not need the bellcrank type arrangement. Your 1/2" control rod should terminate directly to the pedal cross-shaft with a female rod end just like the turnbuckle does in my picture.
You can build a single pedal override similar to this (or buy the pieces) or you can use a dual pedal drag boat assembley. You can set up a override type handle with either setup. The purpose of the handle in a lake boat is so that you don't have to keep constant down pressure on the pedal when cruising or skiing. You simply lock the amount of down plate in with the handle and just rest your foot on the pedal. You can apply addl downforce beyond what the handle is locked in at at any time if need be.
The second picture is of the slider assembly on the handle. Very simple concept here.
The third pic is of my spring assy. Again this isn't typical of most flats. Most flats will run a single compression spring (where I have 2) or a dual pull spring setup. We have both types you can buy or you can fab the stuff yourself.
Excuse the pic quality I just snapped these real quick with no setup. Might be a little blurry too but you get the idea. If you have any questions on any of this as it applys to your boat just PM me and I'll get ya going the right direction by phone if necessary. Good luck.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/732pedal.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/732slider.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/732spring.jpg

LVjetboy
12-10-2003, 08:54 PM
The Guru: Listenening to it I would guess that it is not seeing anything above 5500 rpms.
5500? More like 4500 to MAYBE 4800 give me a break. Surely JBG you can judge the sound of rpm's a bit better? Or just kind? Kim, if I'm wrong about rpms let me know.
I'am only wondering...mine a turtle?.....( . )( . )
Sounds like a turtle to me. Not talking about the audio cutouts, or poor video quality others in v-drive forum focus on. You say tell me please...I'm telling you, thankyou and you're welcome.
Rexone: Speed is relevant. Plus your video doesn't really do much for judging what speed your going. Are you asking if 80mph is slow for example?
That's not 80 mph Rex...good spin, dream on. Nice try though. As usual, very diplomatic. Edit that.
Jimmy jam: Dang that looks like fun.
Ya whatever. Typical nothing added wanna be cool worthless post as usual by a chicken shit fake id poster.
The Guru: That sounds night and day different than what Kim's sounded like. His motor just doesn't wind up like yours. Try a smaller gear Kim.
Duh JBG. Get real. Care to refigure your kind 5500? BTW, I read this post from the beginning, viewed the video and thought NO WAY 5500. Long before you posted your wisdom. Your experience and setup knowledge aside, Kim's gonna need some serious hp to get that v-drive where he wants it...just my guess.
Kim, you picked a v-dirve slower than your O/B. Now you gotta climb the speed curve with the $$ required. Is it worth it? Maybe should've got a jet? With 650 hp you can go 100+ in a jet. With awesome acceleration. Just a thought.
jer

Jetboatguru
12-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Whats up there Jer? Maybe you could ease up on ole Kim and everybody else.
:D

Kim Hanson
12-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by LVjetboy
5500? More like 4500 to MAYBE 4800 give me a break. Surely JBG you can judge the sound of rpm's a bit better? Or just kind? Kim, if I'm wrong about rpms let me know.
Sounds like a turtle to me. Not talking about the audio cutouts, or poor video quality others in v-drive forum focus on. You say tell me please...I'm telling you, thankyou and you're welcome.
That's not 80 mph Rex...good spin, dream on. Nice try though. As usual, very diplomatic. Edit that.
Ya whatever. Typical nothing added wanna be cool worthless post as usual by a chicken shit fake id poster.
Duh JBG. Get real. Care to refigure your kind 5500? BTW, I read this post from the beginning, viewed the video and thought NO WAY 5500. Long before you posted your wisdom. Your experience and setup knowledge aside, Kim's gonna need some serious hp to get that v-drive where he wants it...just my guess.
Kim, you picked a v-dirve slower than your O/B. Now you gotta climb the speed curve with the $$ required. Is it worth it? Maybe should've got a jet? With 650 hp you can go 100+ in a jet. With awesome acceleration. Just a thought.
jer
Don't say shit about the " OB ", jer! She rocks still....this is a trying thing right now and " the water is frozen "...so no more trying...sit and read now and ask questions..not to many though these guy's are mean ass mo-fo's :D Stick to Scream and Fly for the high end shit, they know there shit:D
Really cool to see your squirt hit 100:cool: ..........( . )( . )....

Rexone
12-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Guru he don't know how. Bitterness seems to follow him around the forum like a wet sheet on a horses ass. Never much nice to say about anything. Whatever. Just tryin to help Kim out here by reopening this thread but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
As far as the 80 it was no diplomatic attempt to spin anything. As I stated it was an example. I don't know if he's goin 80 and either do you so until you know it isn't why talk shit. 80=example. If I knew Kim was goin 55 or 95 I would tell him straight up.
Since this thread was locked before for off topic bs and then unlocked and now reverted again back to crap with no tech value being added and only puttin Kim's boat down again, it is over. Do all you want of that crap in bench racers but not here in vdrives.

Jetboatguru
12-10-2003, 10:10 PM
I am going out on a limb here..........
I think Jer done pissed off the teacher. Rexone just threw the gloves off and went bare knuckle.
I have to agree Rex, Jer does go on the attack at times.
I don't mean to get anything started here but, I think he tried Dissin you Rexone.