PDA

View Full Version : FB60P a sneaky attempt to kill the free internet.

eliminatedsprinter
11-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Congress is quietly working on this bill, which will pemit the federal gov to charge a 5 cent surcharge on every E-mail. The money is supposed to go to the post office, because they are saying they are losing money due to compitition from the internet. That's right, they want to collect a fee for a service they don't provide.

dankirk
11-24-2003, 09:03 AM
This "surcharge" is an old urban legend:
http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/bill602p.asp

Cheap Thrills
11-24-2003, 09:05 AM
like the old saying goes .
"if you cant legislate, regulate" or vise versa
C.T. :wink:

Infomaniac
11-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
Congress is quietly working on this bill, which will pemit the federal gov to charge a 5 cent surcharge on every E-mail. The money is supposed to go to the post office, because they are saying they are losing money due to compitition from the internet. That's right, they want to collect a fee for a service they don't provide.
Well whatever the USPS lost on letter revenue, they more than made up for it with e-bay packages. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I bet they love the internet. :p

eliminatedsprinter
11-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by dankirk
This "surcharge" is an old urban legend:
http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/bill602p.asp
Thanks:) This is good news. For now. Although, the main reason I believed it, was that I have heard several politicians speak of the need to get revenue from the internet.:(

likwidsukr
11-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Damn ol surcharges LMAO

rvrhlic
11-24-2003, 12:01 PM
The internet talk you hear from politicians is about the sales atax states are losing through e-commerce. The whole email thing is bogus just like a tax on long distance email which is circulating now.
rvrhlic

HOSS
11-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Yeah I agree. The Post Office loves ebay! So does UPS and especially all the auto/big bulk carriers. Entire business thrive on that now. Just look at all the packaging companies.
Tax email? I don`t think it`ll happen. Tax e-commerce? It`ll happen. And it`ll be software designed by Microsoft.

Mandelon
11-24-2003, 07:09 PM
They tax the shit out of cell phone calls, electricity and regular phone service...it will happen, just a matter of time....:(
May be just a tax on the service and not e-mail by e-mail. They could track usage and tax on it without too much trouble. Those dems will figure out a way to make it happen. :mad: