PDA

View Full Version : Straight cut vs Helical cut gears...advantages/disadvantages of each?

P-Money
11-24-2003, 11:16 AM
What's the advantages/disadvantages regarding straight cut vs. helical cut gears in a v-drive application?
Also, which would you prefer for usage in a week-end warrior?
Thanks

superdave013
11-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Straight cut gears are strong but they are loud as a mother ****er.
Helical cut gears will hold up and are loud enough but they are nothing like the straight cuts.

Flat Crazy Racing
11-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Come for a ride in my hydroflite with straight cut gears and you will feel like you were in the front row of a rock concert. I have no choice with the old Aero marine v drive, but if YOU have a choice, stay away from the straight cut gears, and retain the ability to actually hear your motor and sneak up on your friends!!!!!!!!......Moneypitt

rrrr
11-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Out with the old, in with the new!!
A couple of months ago I replaced my Aero Marine Thoroughbred with a Casale. I'm happy to report that the engine can actually be heard now.
Those straight gears scream like the demons of hell heheh. :D

Flat Crazy Racing
11-24-2003, 02:52 PM
rrrr, how about I help you clean the junk out of your garage by taking that Aero off your hands??? What kinda gears does it have in it? and what is the general condition??? I'll pay the shipping, and won't charge you anything!!!!....Moneypitt

Kurtis500
11-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Whatever they put in the Ace/Champion v-drive is tops. I cant even hear the thing while looking at it run.

P-Money
11-24-2003, 05:06 PM
If a howling v-drive is the only disadvantage to straight cut gears, then I guess thats no big deal because the fact is I can't hear a damn thing in my boat anyways due to over the transom dry Bassett headers I'm running. Thanks to everyone that weighed in, I appreciate it!

spectras only
11-24-2003, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kurtis500
[B]Whatever they put in the Ace/Champion v-drive is tops. I cant even hear the thing while looking at it run. Not only quite ,but robust as well. Mine has never been opened since 1972:cool: ,just check the oil level:) BTW , have the original LS-6 with only the heads freshened up once

Rexone
11-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Ace's have great helical cut gears. Just a note, I recently got a set of C500 gears for my brothers vdrive and all that was available was straight cut (sucks). Helicals were in it originally but had broke tooth so they were junk. Just a heads up for anyone working on a c500 box.

Kindsvater Flat
11-24-2003, 06:12 PM
I have straight cut gears in my hallcraft box. Kinda sounds like I got one of them big blower things.:D

Stab-n-Steer
11-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by rrrr
Those straight gears scream like the demons of hell heheh. :D
That's how a v-drive SHOULD sound!:D I run straight cuts in my Hallcraft AND a Pete Jackson gear drive...
S&S

SANGER-RICH
11-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Hell I have seen people with Jet boats put pete jackson [should I say jackson??] gear drives in their engines so they sound like a v-drive.:rolleyes: