PDA

View Full Version : Twin drive question

summerlove
06-18-2001, 01:02 PM
If a port drive goes out, is it a left hand or right hand drive, assuming they're counter rotating? The reason I ask, the port drive on our timeshare Lake Powell houseboat went out and I'm thinking of buying a new one, but am not sure if it makes a difference. They are Bravo I drives. I have found one that is brand new for a reasonable price - I think. Any advice?

spectras only
06-18-2001, 06:01 PM
I'm afraid you have to get your snorkel out and dive under that boat to check for rotation .I assume the portside prop turns clockwise but I seen opposite applications too.

merctech
06-24-2001, 09:09 PM
If your drive is a Bravo One the rotation does not matter. They will rotate in either direction depending on how it is shifted.

summerlove
06-25-2001, 07:26 PM
Mercguy:
It's a bravo II connected to a 5.7. year model is 1998. Suggestions - I'm getting in a bind as I have to decide by the end of the week to rebuild or go new.
Thanks in advance.
Rick

merctech
06-25-2001, 08:50 PM
A Bravo two will be the same as the Bravo one with its shifting method. So one drive will run in either direction.
If your case is not damaged just have it rebuilt buy a good certified mercruiser tech.
Another option is buying a remanufactured unit from a builder like Jasper.
The only time I replace the entire drive (upper or lower) is if the case is damaged, otherwise it is more cost effective to rebuild.

summerlove
06-26-2001, 07:53 AM
MercTech:
Thanks for the advice. The problem we run into is that it is on a time share houseboat, and if a drive goes down, then the boat is down for the week as well, and someone's vacation is cancelled. That is why I'm interested in a new drive, and using the current drive as a spare. How much do you think a remanu. drive will run?
Thanks again.
Rick

merctech
06-26-2001, 04:21 PM
I went to http://www.jasperengines.com and got retail pricing for your unit. This will give you a ballpark of where you need to be.
The upper is; $3371.44 with exchange.
The lower is; $2713.20 with exchange.
I think cores are $200 each if you want to keep your drive.
I use Jasper sometimes for engines and drives when I need a quick turnaround for a customer.
They have an excellent warranty also.
I hope this helps.

summerlove
06-27-2001, 07:43 AM
MercTech:
Thanks for the recommendation. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what we do. We have to make the call no later than Monday night.
Rick

summerlove
07-02-2001, 01:40 PM
Hey MercTech:
Check the boat out at www.rainbowwarriorinc.com (http://www.rainbowwarriorinc.com)
The problem was nothing more than bad u-joints. All is well that ends well!
Thanks for the advice. We'll probably buy a spare drive this winter!