PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Virgin

OC_Commander1
06-11-2001, 08:28 PM
My "salt water virgin" Commander has never been in the ocean, but it's seems like such a waste living in Orange County and not taking advatage of the Pacific just minutes away. My 24' deep-v would run great out there.
My buddy and I headed over the Catalina for breakfast in his Stoker a few months back. It was a blast. Up until that day I never thought of boating in the ocean. Dana Point was for the Bayliners and cruisers. So I thought
When I asked him if he was concerned about the effects and corision of salt water he didn't show an interest. Not sure if he's not informed or just didn't care. After all, this was his 3rd boat in 5 years. Must be nice, huh?
Through my limited experience as a boat owner I've come to understand that there are two types of boaters:
1.) FRESH WATER ONLY - "Cya in Havasu"
2.) SALT or FRESH WATER - "who cares as long as I'm getting her wet. What's the big deal...right?"
I've seen the famous "SALT AWAY" flushes that are sold at West Marine and would probably would use it if I decided to take the big plunge.
What are the risks?
What other preventive maintenance can I do the counter act the affects of running in salt water?
Am I going past the point of no return if I put her in salt?
Would you take your boat out?
Thanks in advance for your opions and insight.
P.S. <Havasu Hang'in> thanks for your reply on my previous post regarding Thru-Transom Exhaust. Much appreciated.

spectras only
06-11-2001, 09:53 PM
I live in Vancouver B.C and in no way would pass up the opportunity to go the ocean occasionally.The only thing you have to do is thoroughly wash the boat after an outing,hook up the engine with a garden hose and flush it for 10 minutes.Not to mention washing the trailer as well.Newer trailers come with a flush kit that has a plumbing for all four brakes,and if you really fussy you rinse it right after launching and retreiving.I have over 2000 hours on my boat and you couldn't tell if it ever been in saltwater.I've seen two and three year old boats that were thrashed ,because of neglect!

No Limits !
06-12-2001, 11:20 AM
I live in the New Orleans area and mostly what we have down here is salt water from the Gulf of Mexico to Lake Pontchartrain and it's all salt. As mentioned by the gentleman from Vancover, main thing is wash with soap and water after every use and throughly flush engine with fresh water after each use. What I do also is spray engine down with WD-40 occansionaly to stop any rust formation cause as we all know water usually finds its way in the bilge. I recently sold a '91 Wellcraft eclipse that still looked new. It all depends on the spit and polish you put into it. Also I found non-use of a boat is extremely damaging. Hope my two cents helped.

dirtlawyer
06-12-2001, 02:31 PM
OC - No limits is right - just a matter of how you take care of your ride..... Personally, I use "Salt Away" - cheap insurance, and no bad side effects to report... Make sure you thoroughly flush the engine - no real rule of thumb here - some like to "taste" the water coming out of the exhaust for salt - probably not too healthy in the long run, but what the heck....
Like No Limits, I just sold a 1991 Chaparral Villain that was exclusive salt use (Florida) - you couldn't tell the difference from fresh-water and the boat looked like new. Another great engine protectant is T-9 - like WD40 except more expensive - I spray down the engine after every third use - my mechanic hates it b/c it leaves a "film", but that's part of the protection.... besides, aren't mechanics supposed to get dirty??????

OC PARTYCAT
07-17-2001, 08:46 AM
Whats up OC, A good idea I heard about would be to run vinegar through your engine after putting it in the salt. Since my partycat would probably do a nose dive and sink in those swales off dana point I,ll have to hook up with you and go for a ride.

OC_Commander1
07-18-2001, 12:27 AM
Hey OC PartyCat....nice name.
Looks like it's a small world after all.
If you promise not to get sea sick, I'll let you join us on our "3 hour tour".
BTW. Boarding pass = Coors Light 18pack.
See you at Black Meadow next week!!!

OC PARTYCAT
07-18-2001, 06:44 AM
Sounds good, as long as you bring the dramamine and your new vhf radio,I'm sure we could swim to either
Catalina or Newport when one of those freighters throw us a 20'tallwake..
check list: 24 pack silvers
flippers
palm tree floaty
PB&J sandwiches
2 packs cigs
shark repelent

OC PARTYCAT
07-18-2001, 06:52 AM
What the hell are you doing up at 1 am anyway?