PDA

View Full Version : Calling all BOSS302 Gurus

Hotcrusader76
11-24-2003, 11:41 PM
I have a few questions here.
I am looking hard for a BOSS302 engine intake manifold; preferrably a Bud Moore Engineering version that will hold a 4500 Dominator (old school Transam type) or even the dual mini hi-rise 4150 flanged
Or...
Does anyone have a lead on where I could get one of these rare BOSS intakes? Edelbrock and Holley need not apply.:p
Next question...
Aren't the 351-4V heads the same as the BOSS302, therefore shouldn't the 351C-4V intake bolt up to it or is it because the deck height is different? BOSS302= 8.26 verses BOSS351 9.25
Someone please give me some insight to these compatibility issues?:(

Jet City
11-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Sorry, I don't have a line on your manifold, but just thought I'd confirm your notion about the 351C manifold not fitting the Cleveland headed 302 due to the difference in deck height.

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured as such that this would be an issue.
We're trying to stay away from the dual dominator intake and go with a more torque friendly 4150 style intake, but these items are so freakin rare it's not funny.
I found a Bud Moore version on Ebay starting at $500.00 and I was told through the grapevine they can reach near $6-700.00 each. Nevertheless I will hunt one down. So far I am on day three in the search.
Thanks again.
~Ty

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 12:31 AM
I found this aftermarket version from an old friend of mine in Australia. He starting building these intakes in his garage and makes a slew of them for the 2V/4V heads. I guess my concern first off is the price and now hood clearance. It's going into a 69 BOSS Trans-am race car that needs to retain the proper hood clearance.
Guess I'll be e-mailing him tomorrow to find out the story.
But this intake looks like a Windsor type and not the Cleavor
http://www.madhatterracing.com/funnelwebs/funnel302.jpg

Jet City
11-25-2003, 12:45 AM
That Trans Am car would look kinda odd with a big dog-house scoop. I've read very positive reviews about the Funnelweb intakes from a couple 351C guys on www.fordmuscle.com. Thats got to be the nastiest looking 302W intake I've ever seen, I didn't know they made them, I hope they have plans for a 460 intake.

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Yeah this guy Terry Parker sells his intakes to Madhatter Racing here in the states. I've talked with him a few times before about his intakes and possibly carrying a line of them here in SD, but supply and demand is low. Why bother?
If I remember correct he was looking for a test bed BOSS302 so I might have a chance now on getting a R&D set-up that could supercede Bud Moore's or Roush's 70's era intake.
The search is on...

FlatRat
11-25-2003, 07:53 AM
H.C.
We are running a set of Australian Ford 351 Clevland heads on a 302 that's in my wife's '66 Fastback.The guy who put this together had alot of machine work involved.The intake was custom built from Arkansas.I can get some info on it if you want.
Tim

11-25-2003, 08:07 AM
The diff. between the 351C and the 302 is cooling routing. The 351C is routed back into the block as it is cast with the thermostat housing in the front of the block and the 302 is routed to the intake manifold. Using 351C heads on a 302 is just a matter of plugging the block passage and drilling the head where the intake cooling passage should be for the 302. The only other diff in the head castings is the rocker arm pedestial is for positive stop for the Cleveland and the Boss 302 is cut flat for regular rocker studs. Its a simple machining process to convert.

Craig
11-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Is this the intake you're looking for?
http://www.panteraplace.com/Pantera%20Pics/dans%20intake%20106.JPG
Craig

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Yupp...them it....:D
BOSS302 or 351C intakes? Please advise.
I have a buyer for one of them if they're BOSS302...I can't see the front of the intake for the coolant inlet.
I think the hardware for the tops are 1/4"-20 aren't they?
~Ty

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 10:28 AM
If it was a easy perfect world then I would like to have this one over the 4500 types. Still fits under the hood with an air-cleaner I believe.
http://www.boss302.com/intake8.jpg

Craig
11-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Guy that had the one in the pic I posted doesn't want to sell. But I wanted to know what you were looking for, I've been doing some surfin' for grins and thought I'd see if I could locate you one.
Craig
That 2/4 is a nice manifold :D

LakesOnly
11-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76 Aren't the 351-4V heads the same as the BOSS302...
Essentially, yes.
Originally posted by FlatRat We are running a set of Australian Ford 351 Clevland heads on a 302 that's in my wife's '66 Fastback.
Just a sidebar: The Australian Cleveland heads are the way to go on a 302. Also, there is no such thing as an Australian 351 Cleveland. In Australia, the Ford Cleveland is a 302 Cleveland.
The Australian 302 Cleveland is essentically a de-stroked 351C. Do not confuse this engine with the Boss 302 as they are not the same engine. The American 351 Cleveland heads have huge, open combustion chambers, and when installed on a little ol' 302, they require serious pop-up pistons to get good compression ratio (due to the reduced stroke).
What's awesome about the Australian 302 Cleveland heads is that since their Cleveland motor is a 302, the heads have been re-engineered to accomodate the stroke and have dual quench pads so as to effectively raise compression. Check this out:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350GT40_1.jpg
These heads are awesome if you are building up a pumped 302 for the street and can insane for a stroker 351C!
Australian 302 Cleveland heads are available only with a 2bbl intake port size. Although the 302 Cleveland was available with a 4bbl carb, the 4bbl intake was engineered to bolt to the same 2bbl heads.
From a 302 street performance standpoint, these heads are considered by many to be the way to go, based primarily on the compression ratios they generate and also the intake port cross-section. Much like the 429 Super Cobra Jet heads, the 4bbl clevelands are simply too insane for a pumped street 302, and a complete mismatch...better results can be acheived with the 2bbl heads.
In the case of a trans-am car, though, the 4bbl heads are the way to go; I'm sure your customer is gonna get all the compression he needs:D
LO

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Paul,
He's limited to 12.0:1 compression and must use the BOSS302 block and heads. This obvioulsy limits his choices for an intake. Now since Bud Moore Engineering designed some killer set-ups back in the day for Trans-Am this is his only other option to race with.
Not to mention he's located in Germany! LMAO...Talk about a limited class of racing or even the folks whom race in it!:eek!:
He just called today and said he found another race prepped boss nearby that he's going to unload of the guy. This way he has to two boss cars, not to mention his other 8 vintage Mustangs laying around.
~Ty

FlatRat
11-25-2003, 06:08 PM
I stand corrected.

Jet City
11-25-2003, 08:00 PM
That Bud Moore unit is what we used to refer to as a Rat Roaster, I think that term may have started with the Mopar STR manifolds Direct Connection used to offer (made by Edelbrock with a Chrysler part number), I wonder if Edelbrock made them for Boss 302's, Trans Am racing was huge in the late 60's, it wouldn't surprise me. At any rate I'll keep my eye's peeled for the Bud Moore Rat Roaster your looking for.

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 10:35 PM
I talked with Edelbrock the other day for about 45 minutes...(on my dime of course:rolleyes: ) and he said that he hasn't heard of anything at all on Edelbrock being part of the equation for the Transam series back then.
But after some sifting around some archives on Bud Moore I found some R&D projects that edelbrock and holley were involved in on the BOSS motor. The designs might have never left the track for mass production but I know they're out there.
The website Boss Registry has some great info but no credible leads. Just a bunch "clone" Bud Moore cars being made with stock intakes.
Thank you everyone for keeping an eye out. I guess some restoration participants spend years looking for that rare part. Funny thing is it isn't even my car....LMAO:D
Oh well....it's fun looking for the impossible though...

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Here is another rare and limited intake, the "cross-boss". Word has it they were the hot-ticket back in the day.
http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/tccn/magazine/cattin/featarch/f001/sm04.jpg

Craig
11-26-2003, 07:44 AM
If I recall that was an Autolite carb that flowed almost a thousand cfm :eek:

Craig
11-26-2003, 08:13 AM
Have you checked out this page? They list a Bud Moore 2X4 intake. Phone numbers no good, but maybe you can get to him via e-mail.
http://www.fordmanted.com/parts.htm
Craig

11-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Craig
If I recall that was an Autolite carb that flowed almost a thousand cfm :eek: Some of those Autolite carbs flowed 1400cfm and if memory serves there were two models, 1000 cfm for use as a pair and the 1400 cfm for use as a single. I vaguely remember a pair of the 1400 cfm models installed on a 427 Tunnelport just for a dyno excerise and the engine used all the cfm those carbs could put out. Fuel distribution was second to none and metering was very precise. Too bad they never really took off.

Hotcrusader76
11-26-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 058
Some of those Autolite carbs flowed 1400cfm and if memory serves there were two models, 1000 cfm for use as a pair and the 1400 cfm for use as a single. I vaguely remember a pair of the 1400 cfm models installed on a 427 Tunnelport just for a dyno excerise and the engine used all the cfm those carbs could put out. Fuel distribution was second to none and metering was very precise. Too bad they never really took off.
After some long talks with a few Tran-Am gurus they said that these "cross-boss" intakes were outlawed at a point because they worked so well. Of course he may have been drinking by the time I called him last night but nevertheless it was a great history lesson.
I have a lead right now checked on this very intake pictured below. Apparently the guy has been trying to sell it for sometime now and may want a hefty $800 or so for it...Yikes!:eek!:
The end may be near...
~Ty
http://www.tpcracing.com/images_temp/Bossdual4intake.jpg