PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Ram or Victor?

BrendellaJet
11-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Im planning on building a 496 full roller motor for my Jetboat. how muchwill power suffer with a victor intake rather than a tunnel ram? specs will be the same as the HBJET DNE motor, I dont have specs available with me right now, but the motor makes 700 plus HP at 6300. Anyone?

LakesOnly
11-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Carburetor size on the Victor will make a big difference in estimations....but the tunnel ram will probably allow your engine to generate an additional 30-45 HP.
Also, tunnel rams are not only about top end, they do lots for mid-range too.
LO

BrendellaJet
11-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Lakes,
What are you saying about carb size and estimations? Im planning on using an HP950.

Hotcrusader76
11-25-2003, 03:34 PM
HBJET 496 Roller motor...
Generic Lakeboat recommendations-
single application Victor Intake/HP950
Victor-2R tunnel ram intake- Dual 4779s 750DPs or 660 Center squirter Hybrids (850 throttlebodys)
Otherwise give it hell at WOT running a single Dominator or dual 950s
~Ty

77charger
11-25-2003, 08:54 PM
I think a victor and a dominator is a good combo.

Jet City
11-25-2003, 10:34 PM
I haven't had enought experience with TR's to make a fair judgement, but my own future plans include a Victor 4500 intake topped with a 1050 Dominator, my goals will be in the 600 HP range, I feel this would be simple and effective for a jetboat. I have to admit part of the attraction to the Dom over a choice like the 950 HP is appearance related. I don't see how you'd go terribly wrong with any of the set-ups mentioned, provided the tuning was right.

Hotcrusader76
11-26-2003, 11:50 AM
JCR...
For a Lakeboat you might like the appearance but your throttleresponse will suffer. Something you may consider if you decide on something custom built is having the primary throttlebore signal increased with a larger booster skirt of low-end power and leaving the skirt smaller on the secondaries for the crisp top-end HP. A slow or fast progressive linkage would also work best with a 3-circuit Dominator.
For a Lakeboat stay away from the 1:1 linkage even though your power to weight ratio is high. Meaning higher HP set-ups with less weight to move across the water love the 1:1 linkage set-ups, but for a cruiser application it will drive you crazy.
Just me 0.02:D

Racing Ray
11-27-2003, 05:33 AM
Simply put you can not beat a PROPERLY tuned Tunnel Ram.
However due to so many more variables tuning it properly is more of a challange for experianced tuners much less your average backyard mechanic. Once properly set-up you would never consider anything else unless you wanted better economy or class restrictions.

Jet City
11-27-2003, 10:05 AM
I agree with your statement about the 1:1 linkage for a hot pleasure boat, but my thinking was that as quickly as jetboats flash to their RPM limit I wouldn't have thought throttle response would be much of a problem. As for the booster mods, are you basically talking about useing the 750 Dom boosters on the primary side to increase velocity, and also reducing flow to roughly 900 CFM.

Hotcrusader76
11-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Not necessarily "750 Dominator boosters" but more or less a skirt design which obstructs the flow of the venturi and increases the signal strength at a lower RPM. Because these skirts range from .935" to 1.125" you can custom tailor the required signal (CFM flow as well) for that particular fuel curve.
So...yes...in a basic sense, you would be buildling a Dominator that has a crisp primary circuit and a secondary that comes in for upper RPM use. Of course this would only work with a slip linkage set-up, not a 1:1 ratio. This design is consistent with the old spreadbore Holley's which used a very small primary and 2" bore secondary. Awesome set-up for rat motors.
~Ty

Jet City
11-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Thanks Ty, experimenting with Dom boosters never crossed my mind, really good info.

HOSS
11-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Go with theVictor/Dominator setup for power and reliability. Tunnel ram for show.

Bow Tie Omega
11-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Hey Brian, I am not sure about performance increase or decrease with this manifold, but it would be unique...Joe...Oh yeah, it is for sale on ebay right now

Cole Sanger
09-10-2004, 10:21 AM
I was reading this yesterday and thought about your setup. Thought it might help.
http://carcraft.com/techarticles/0304_ram/

Jordy
09-10-2004, 10:29 AM
I haven't had enought experience with TR's to make a fair judgement, but my own future plans include a Victor 4500 intake topped with a 1050 Dominator
My tunnel ram and 850 is sitting in my shop right now. It's going bye bye in favor of the Super Victor and 1050 Dominator that are sitting right next to it. Should be put in place this weekend if everything goes as planned. :D :D :D

cyclone
09-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Im planning on building a 496 full roller motor for my Jetboat. how muchwill power suffer with a victor intake rather than a tunnel ram? specs will be the same as the HBJET DNE motor, I dont have specs available with me right now, but the motor makes 700 plus HP at 6300. Anyone?
I tested both combinations on similar motors and the tunnel ram was worth a small bump in peak torque (about 15 ft/lbs) and about 35 more peak horsepower than a Victor JR/950 cfm single carb setup. It's a negligable amount of power when you consider the cost upgrade of adding plumbing, linkage, an extra carb and the tunnel ram. It's likely that unless you are racing for ET, you'd never notice the additional power. But you can't ignore the bling-bling factor either. The motor gets taller and shinier and that's always fun to look at. :)

flat broke
09-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Brian,
I thought I had already had you convinced on this one. :) My vote is tunnel ram. You're paying for the good heads, stout internals, and a very capable set of hands to put that beast together for you. Why leave the extra HP on the table with the single carb deal? I can tell you that in looking at my dyno sheets (just pulled em again to verify) that my motor pulled a lot more than 950 cfm in the upper Rs where you'll be spinning. Besides, from a cost standpoint, its not THAT much more to go to a T-ram setup with regular carbs over a Dominator with the good CNC'd victor that will be recommended; and if you already have one of the carbs, its probably a wash if not cheaper. Besides, you want to go 100, so make sure you don't look back at the end of the build and say, "damn I should have gone with the T'ram to get me the extra HP" to get from 98 to 100. :D
Oh and one more thing. You don't want to be saying, "I'm building the HBJet 496 deal"... cause thats the weakest one of the bunch. :D :D :D :D :D
Good luck with it no matter what you choose, and keep us posted with dyno dates and pics.
Chris

MikeF
09-10-2004, 12:34 PM
You don't want to be saying, "I'm building the HBJet 496 deal"... cause thats the weakest one of the bunch. Chris
That's COLD Chris. :supp: :mix:

flat broke
09-10-2004, 01:55 PM
That's COLD Chris. :supp: :mix:
Randy knows I'm just messing with him, and honestly seeing his results had something to do with my choice of builders, so I'll file it under the whole imitation/flattery thing :) Besides, I can talk all the smack I want and it doesn't matter, his boat would seriously embarrass my ugly ol' cruiser in a race.
But I'm going to use this exchange as an excuse to do some cheerleading. The fact that 4 motors of within 3 ci have come out those doors, and all of them have progressed in HP from the first is testament to Dave's commitment to the evolution of efficiency.
I'm sure that if Randy needed more HP, a cam change and a few other little tweaks would put him right back on the top of the pack.
Back to Brian's dilema... RUN THE TUNNEL RAM :devil:

BrendellaJet
09-10-2004, 02:08 PM
LOL, Actually this is an old thread I started before I found out my GM block was toast. With the 547 Ill probably go with the Victor/hp950 that I bought from Cyclone. Dave thinks we can break 800hp with that combo.Im thinking it'll do more, I know hes being conservative so im not disappointed. He wants to port the intake, but I want to wait and see how it does without before I spend 800 bones to port it. As far as the tunnel ram goes, If I have to tell my wife that I need to buy another intake and carb shes gonna leave me. I want this thing back together and it should look pretty stealth with the single carb. Im really looking forward to hunting on some of those badass CPs I keep reading about!

flat broke
09-10-2004, 02:30 PM
hmmm all I know is... If you were running my hp to ci ratio with the 547 you'd be a lot closer to 900 than 800. But thats with a tunnel ram and you probably wouldn't want to do that :D :D :D
Seriously though I can understand the single carb deal, especially when marital/budget issues get factored in :D Either way, its a crapload of hp and should get that little black boat running plenty fast!
Chris

BrendellaJet
09-10-2004, 02:49 PM
hmmm all I know is... If you were running my hp to ci ratio with the 547 you'd be a lot closer to 900 than 800. But thats with a tunnel ram and you probably wouldn't want to do that :D :D :D
Seriously though I can understand the single carb deal, especially when marital/budget issues get factored in :D Either way, its a crapload of hp and should get that little black boat running plenty fast!
Chris
Yes, Dave said that Id be looking at 875 or so with the TR.
My little black boat should move just fine for me with only 800hp :D
If it handles the power okay, Ill bump it up.

77charger
09-10-2004, 04:03 PM
forget my earlier post about the victor and 950,That was then this is now.Go with a custom hogans intake and 2 1050s ;) oh and this is only a little 427 ci motor
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/15intake_vw_1-med.JPG

Snowboat
09-10-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm glad to see you are back, Ray. I've been busy for a few days. I read all of your posts up until you got angry. Don't go away again. You had some great info. Thanks.

copperrat20
09-10-2004, 09:10 PM
forget my earlier post about the victor and 950,That was then this is now.Go with a custom hogans intake and 2 1050s ;) oh and this is only a little 427 ci motor
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/15intake_vw_1-med.JPG
What's one of those run?

77charger
09-11-2004, 03:38 PM
about 2500 for the intake and about 2k for the carbs.I didnt pay for it my boss did i am just told to drive the boat to victory :)