PDA

View Full Version : Electric vs. mechanical fuel pumps

HP350SC
11-25-2003, 10:05 AM
OK, so I've got the stage 3 whipple going on an HP500. Anybody know why they send a 140 Mallory electric pump and 2 port regulator? Would be cleaner install to run a good high volume mechanical pump. Is there an issue with insufficient fuel delivery at off idle boost? Or is it because you would have to relocate the larger fuel separator assembly? Kinda scary to trust an electric pump since they do seem to fail more than mechanical ones.

jackpunx
11-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Not sure of the answer.. But make sure you always have another one handy.. I burned mine on the first day out.. They replaced it and gave me an extra.. Never had another problem

superdave013
11-25-2003, 10:16 AM
The Clay Smith mechanical pump is good for 1,300 hp.
They are like rocks and just don't fail.
I'm with you on your thinking. My boat had 2 holley blues and I replaced them with one Clay Smith pump.

Craig
11-25-2003, 10:39 AM
A lot of folks echo superdaves recommendation with the Clay Smith. I don't have a pump boss on my block, and I don't currently run the sea water pump with the fuel pump boss, so I go with an electric. I'm changing over to a return style regulator to avoid any issues with the pump heating up at long idles. I always carry my trusty red pump as a back u p :D

HP350SC
11-25-2003, 11:29 AM
OK so I'm going with the Clay Smith at $100. SPAM- Mallory 4140M and 2 port reg. new in box. Make offer on PM.

HP350SC
11-25-2003, 12:24 PM
OK now I'm not! Clay Smith pump actuator arm won't work on the seawater pump application. Anybody have any input on the CP Hardin Marine 120 gph pump?

HP350SC
11-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Craig- What kind of regulator are you going to run. CP has the aeromotive with or without boost refereced output. If I do have to go with electric I will use a 3 port return style reg. as per INFO and others suggestion.

Dave C
11-25-2003, 02:38 PM
HP
that holly pump sucks balls...... I hate them. The metal inside sucks. they get rusty and stop working.
Your on the right track getting rid of it.
I ran the 170 GPH mechanical and it worked good. Don't know if that will help you.
IMO The aeromotive seems better.

HP350SC
11-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks for replies. Have been looking into the various options with fuel delivery. As it stands now, Pacific Power Boats is going to rework my stock pump and upsize tank outlets,vents and lines. Ordered the Aeromotive bypass regulator and the 1095 Demon today. Seems like Clay Smith should design a fuel pump for the water pump driven applications. (Might even be able to make one work by transferring the actuator arm and/or guts from the stock pump to their valve assembly).

Craig
11-25-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Craig- What kind of regulator are you going to run. CP has the aeromotive with or without boost refereced output. If I do have to go with electric I will use a 3 port return style reg. as per INFO and others suggestion.
I'm going to run a Barry Grant diaphagm bypass regulator (#171021) It will be installed on the end of a fuel log I'm making. Fuel in one side, feed carbs and bypass goes back to tank(s)
Craig

HP350SC
11-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Craig- You might want to check out the thread in the v-drive section on the BG regulator. Some have had probs.

Infomaniac
11-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by HP350SC
Craig- You might want to check out the thread in the v-drive section on the BG regulator. Some have had probs.
That was a case of mistaken identity. Was a Mallory they had trouble with.
Those BG bypass regulators are very good. Mount it as far away from the pump as possible and preferrably after the carb.

HP350SC
11-26-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
That was a case of mistaken identity. Was a Mallory they had trouble with.
Those BG bypass regulators are very good. Mount it as far away from the pump as possible and preferrably after the carb.
Guess I should have read the whole thing, thanks for pointing that out.
INFO.- Whats your thoughts on the Aeromotive regulator, is it comparable to the BG one? Also, you can look straight through the Aeromotive reg. so my question is would it matter if it was mounted near the pump or carb? Is it related to fluid dynamics?

Infomaniac
11-26-2003, 09:36 AM
I have mounted them directly on the pump before. They recommend as far away as possible. Probably to keep the valve from working too much from pulsations.
Does not matter if you can look through the valve or not. A bypass is parallel to the fuel flow. The functioning part of the bypass is not betwen the pump and carb. You can look through the BG also.

HP350SC
11-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
I have mounted them directly on the pump before. They recommend as far away as possible. Probably to keep the valve from working too much from pulsations.
Does not matter if you can look through the valve or not. A bypass is parallel to the fuel flow. The functioning part of the bypass is not betwen the pump and carb. You can look through t
he BG also.
That makes sense. These forums are a great place for INFOormation! Interestingly, some of the newest vehicles only run a single fuel line to the injector rail, and regulate pressure at the pump, in the tank. Some are even varying the resistance to ground (thereby total voltage fuel pump "sees"). Of course this is on vehicles not boats and there are likely other design differences as well.

Infomaniac
11-26-2003, 11:20 AM
electric pumps do not pulsate like cam driven mechanical pumps.

UBFJ #454
11-26-2003, 12:35 PM
With good fuel regulation what's the problem with an electric pump?

Craig
11-26-2003, 12:51 PM
You guys trying to scare me :confused: I ordered the BG yesterday! I thought I remembered Info and Larry Peto said they were good. Info, the regulator will be at the ned of the fuel log. The carbs will get fed first.

Infomaniac
11-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Was a Mallory that they were talking about Craig. Do not worry.

Rodger
11-26-2003, 07:39 PM
I have the Mallory 140 pump. I've been using it on my turbocharged 454 for the last 15 years and 1200 hours. It has been absolutely trouble free. I haven't touched it once since I installed it.