PDA

View Full Version : homeowners insurance claims-help

missboatnam1
11-25-2003, 10:50 AM
wondering if anyone is knows how this system works!! i had a claim back in september, still havent been paid.....my kitchen is totally distroyed, and iv been using my own funds to rebuild it...iv been leaving messages with my adjuster, she never ever awncers, then she will leavre a voice message for me......iv been really undersanding about this whole process, but this is getting freakin old, and im getting pissed now!!
i dont even know how much they are giving me, i left a calm, but urgent message on her voice mail today.....
my question is what if i dont agree with the amount thay are giving me, and also what can i do to get there frikin asses moving here?
thanks for any info:)

HavasuDreamin'
11-25-2003, 12:19 PM
If it were me, I would call their corporate headquarters and find out who your agent's boss is and call him/her and explain that you are just looking for a long over due answer. Most likely, that will get your agent moving.
If all else fails, when you finally do get reimbursed and are unhappy with the amount (if that turns out to be the case), then call and talk to your agent about the lack of funds and threaten to drop all of your insurance with them. If nothing happens, then follow up on your threat.
Just my $.02

Mandelon
11-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Phone calls are bullshit. Put your compaints in writing. Let them know you are disappointed with the service and if things don't get better quick you will send copies to the Ins Commissioner. CC the adjuster's boss.
Or get a lawyer. The adjusters want to wear you down so you give up and go away. :mad:

Keithb87
11-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Or get a lawyer. The adjusters want to wear you down so you give up and go away. :mad:
This is true. I used to work in the Insurance Biz. As an adjuster, it was my job to pay out as little as possible. The Insurance Company, as with any company, is in business to make money, not loose it. So the longer it took to get a large claim processed, the more money the Co. could make on the intrest from your preimums. :eek:
Check your state for timely payment laws. Check with the Insurance Commissioner.
You are paying for a service, Make sure you get service. :)

HavasuDreamin'
11-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Or get a lawyer.
Why? So that you can pay some fat retainer fee to have them make calls for you? A lawyer should be a last resort. Make calls, write letters, and try to get answers on your own first. I believe it starts with the adjusters boss.

canuck1
11-25-2003, 02:02 PM
My advice to you is to call up 3 contractors and get 3 quotes,call the adjuster and tell her that you have the quotes and that you are sending copies of them over for her approval and for her to cut you a check. Most adjusters can approve up to a certain amount and cut a check at the same time.
the adjusting company works for the ins co who works for you! If you do your part and she doesn't do hers call the ins co and let them know.
PM me for any info you need

Mandelon
11-25-2003, 04:58 PM
You can pay a lawyer to write a couple of letters for a few hundred dollars.
They don't always work on contingency, that's the clients choice to pay them that way.
I agree thelawyers don't deserve a third of your settlement. If there is bad faith and the insurance company get sued for a bunch of dough then a percentage to the lawyer is fine. You can't get a bad faith judgement by writing your own letters. But the pressure a lawyer can put on them lets them know you are serious and they better take care of you.
Threaten to complain to the Commissioner, then document everything. Keep a timeline.

spectratoad
11-25-2003, 07:02 PM
also save every receipt. They will probably say that you spent money you didn't have to, ie...a more expensive faucet versus one a little cheaper, stuff like that.
Do what I have done with other companies, go sit on their desk. My dad's wife handles my insurance so I have not had any problems yet.

missboatnam1
12-01-2003, 01:27 PM
thanks for the replys, still in a bind if any one can help out ill throw ya a few bucks.....
problem now, they want a itemized bill, and they will pay the diffrence, problem is i cant get a bid, because we had day labors and frinds ect help us.....and its almost done so i cant have a person come bid something thats already done?
i need a bid from a contractor, as though i got a actual bid (before).....i only need one, and ill pay you for it....i just need to get this thing behing me......i never knew remodeling is so much fun
:mad: :mad:
please pm me if you think you can help this ole gal out !!!
THANK YOU!!

Mandelon
12-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Check your PM's ;)