PDA

View Full Version : Boost on Kill

Willis
11-25-2003, 07:19 PM
November 25, 2003
Hello everyone
Just wanted to know if there is somebody out there who can give more help on what is a safe level of boost to run on gas:confused:
According to Kuhl Blowers, they do not recommend more than 20psi on gas.
What is your highest psi without "Melt-down":(
That is with a roots type:yuk:
Willis

Craig
11-25-2003, 07:27 PM
What compression and timing are you starting with?

Kurtis500
11-25-2003, 10:27 PM
16 psi with 8:1. No problems. Switched to alcohol now.

Infomaniac
11-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Too many variables.
First and most important - What octane gas?
Compression ratio?
Size of blower?
Intercooled?
Iron or alum heads?
Good flowing exhaust?
Etc.
:idea:

565edge
11-27-2003, 11:31 AM
You need to also consider what lobe seperation your cam is ground on too.That will play a part on how hard your cylinders are being packed.Willis runs injection so i think his only draw back will be blowing the superchiller core to peices.I am also considering on building a blown gas motor.

Willis
11-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Allen,
When you build that new engine, we will be out at the rope:rolleyes:
Will it be for next race season:confused:
Willis

bp
11-28-2003, 10:32 AM
hey mister board member, i voted for ya..:D

565edge
11-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Willis i dont know yet.When it is time for a rebuild im thinking of going that way.Im going to start collecting parts and see what happens.I would like to beable to go to the lake and run pump gas and then boost it and run race gas.I am torn between a high comp naturally aspirated motor or a motor like yours.If i dont do a re-build before next year i will pour a decent amount of spray at my current motor after the first couple of races.I did find a pop-off valve.Im going to buy it after the holidays if he still has it.Willis are you running a hi-helix or a standard blower?

Willis
11-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Hey!
You must know something everyone else doesn't.
Allen,
If you want to go fast, the lake parts in the race boat will slow you down.
We made some changes and looking at the low 8's, 7.0 area:yuk:
See Ya:confused:
Willis

blownalky557
11-29-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Willis
If you want to go fast, the lake parts in the race boat will slow you down.
I have seen some real fast lake boats.

MAXIMUS
12-01-2003, 05:18 PM
I never thought I would say this but the smart move would be a naturally aspirated monster! You gain a ton of weight with a blower & intercoller etc... In that edge of yours I think a big motor with nos would make a much more leathal package! I love blowers mind you but every time I lift that thing off the motor I think to myself... holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...: eek:

Fiat48
12-01-2003, 07:12 PM
You need a magnesium blower. :D

Havasu47
12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
I never thought I would say this but the smart move would be a naturally aspirated monster! You gain a ton of weight with a blower & intercoller etc... In that edge of yours I think a big motor with nos would make a much more leathal package! I love blowers mind you but every time I lift that thing off the motor I think to myself... holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...: eek:
You can always have those cute little girls lift it off for you!!:rolleyes: :D

MAXIMUS
12-03-2003, 07:34 AM
Hey havasu homo how was glamis...:confused:

Havasu47
12-04-2003, 10:38 AM
Hey Max-my-ass, Glamis was fun, met some nice people. Went on some good rides with Hurricane. No buggy's with crosseyed front wheels to slow us down.:rolleyes:

MAXIMUS
12-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Not that I want to hijack this thread... but that buggie remark was totally uncalled for! That really affected me!:rolleyes:

Kurtis500
12-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by riodog
Kurtis 500, are you running alcohol in 8>1 with 16 psi ? In what size motor? I was running 21 psi on 7.5 initial in a 460 chev on gas and had no problems. Wouldn't think that would give you enough compression for alcohol or is this a different motor?
Riodog
Oops, didnt see this earlier. Yes I run it at 8:1 with alcohol. It ran a little better. The best part was knowing that the alcohol was better on the engine than gas.
I wouldnt set it up that way from the start, but I didnt want to tear everything down and switch pistons at the time. Call the injector maker and get thier advice on your set-up for pills, nozzles and etc.

Havasu47
12-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
Not that I want to hijack this thread... but that buggie remark was totally uncalled for! That really affected me!:rolleyes:
:p :D :D