PDA

View Full Version : power stroke help

blown428fe
11-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Check engine light started coming on to day,and when it does it feels and sounds like it droped 3 or 4 cylinders. No smoke or anything. When I first start it idles mint for ten seconds then light come on. I think its electrical,dont know where to start. Truck is a 95 and I have a full service manual and it really dosnt tell me shit. Thanks for any help.
MIKE IN CT.

Fiat48
11-25-2003, 08:44 PM
The forum is here for more info than you need. http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
Some of the early Powerstrokes had electrical connection problems in the valve cover area. Check the plug in leads to the heads. Also if you pull valve covers, you see another electrical connection plug in that has been known to fall part. I knew of a 96 with same symptoms you just described and that's what it was.
Just some ideas. Check the forums first. More info than you can believe. My 99 Powerstroke has 228,000 and never had a valve cover off.

Jordy
11-26-2003, 09:00 AM
The thing to be careful with the electrical on the Powerstroke is, as I recall, they run AC current under the hood. That is, like household power. Get a hold of the wrong wire and you're in for a shock.

Hotcrusader76
11-26-2003, 11:45 AM
What he said:D
Chicks don't dig the 50 hertz shuffle!

blown428fe
11-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info. Fiat 48
I pulled off pass. side valve cover and the rear connector is all melted to shit. Do you think driver side could have burned too?
Those diesel forum are mint,thank again.
MIKE IN CT.

Fiat48
11-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by blown428fe
Thanks for the info. Fiat 48
I pulled off pass. side valve cover and the rear connector is all melted to shit. Do you think driver side could have burned too?
Those diesel forum are mint,thank again.
MIKE IN CT.
It sure would be worth checking. As I remember, this plug in connection is kinda built into the valve cover gasket, or something like that. This happened to a friend of mine and I think he priced the parts at Ford and it was real expensive, so he made his own plug in connection. I got all the info second hand from him. Your problem sounded so identical it was just a guess.