PDA

View Full Version : Vail Lake

Mandelon
11-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Near Temecula. Anybody ever been on it???

kevnmcd
11-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Yep....small, if I am remembering right. It is a private lake. They were offering timeshares for it a few years back. Why do you ask?

HM
11-26-2003, 08:32 AM
It is a private membership lake - I have a membership. They are not selling any new memberships right now, and they do not know when they will offer new. There is a campground that gives public access to the lake, but for fishing only.
If you would like a membership, look in the penny saver - as that is where I bought mine. I got it for $2000, and then annual dues of $200. They will range from $2000 to $5000. New, they were $5000.
There are lots of rules - like NO guests on the water!! If you get caught - they revoke your membership with no refund. It is a fun lake. The guest rules are due to insurance liabilities.
There has been an ongoing legal battle with the local water district over the rights of the lake. They keep talking about developing around the lake to create a "Canyon Lake" type of community - but it has only been talk to this point.
I bought 3 1/2 acres slightly east of Vail and am building a custom home there - and am planning on making Vail my local stomping ground - a slight step up from Elsinore. Vail is about 15 minutes east of the 15 freeway on the 79 south.
If they open up Vail for development, I will be all over it like Rosey O'donnell on a brownie!
Vail is really a beautiful lake - slightly larger than Canyon Lake - as far as the above wakeless speed area goes.
Occasionally, I due contribute some usefull information without spam jacking!:D

BGMAN203
11-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Anybody have any pics of the lake? Website?

HM
11-26-2003, 09:27 AM
www.vaillake.com - but there is no info yet.
Vail Lake is in the upper right of the picture. This shot is taken from right near the property I just bought.
http://www.vaillake.com/images/pan.jpg

Ziggy
11-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Used to sneak on the lake with our jetskis some(actually many) years back when little activity was on the lake...
Private lake with access via membership only as HolyMoly stated,, quite restrictive from what I've learned too.
HolyMoly, did you buy near Aguanga or more towards Sage? Kinda looks that way from the pic you posted. Employee of mines wife works at the revamped Vail Lake Campground(formerly Butterfield country)..no lake access for them tho.

Faster Daddy
11-27-2003, 12:29 AM
The lake is great, kinda small but great for tow'n kids and skiers. The most boats we saw on a holiday weekend last year was about 20 (most of those were fishin). As mentioned in an earlier post there are a few lawsuits about access rights goin on right now. Vail/Sundance I believe is the originall timeshare no guest company. However 2002-2003 There was a seperate Company (Vail Lake) selling yearly memberships ($1,000 annual) and you could bring guests. The membership limited guests to 3 visits each annually on the honor system. :wink: No new memberships are being sold or renewed right now for (Vail Lake Members) since a July court order. :( - They have told previous members to continue with use until the lawsuits are setteled. Thats the last I heard, as I am a silent partner in a membership - ssshhhh. :D
Lake Info: it is located about 1 mile off of Hwy 79 down a private gated asphalt road. Near the lake the road turns to dirt and you have a choice of 2 launch areas. The closest is a very steep pot-holed asphalt ramp that drops off about 10' into the water. There is a little dock adjacent to this one. The other is on a slightly lees steep and wider ramp that drops into a deep hole surrounded on one side by a shallow rocky shore, and the other with a shallow muddy bottem featuring a couple of submerged logs.
The lake itself is set up primarily for skiers. There are fish and ski zones and a nice canyon area with little wind and a salom course set up. At the end of the canyon theres a nice little sandy beach for the kids.

iparky
11-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Almost everything stated is correct. I have been a Sundance active member for many years. The Lawsuit is with Vail Lake Resort. Currently they and Sundance are not selling memberships, Sundance had suspended transfers for awhile, but are currently doing transfers. The Sundance memberships are for lake access, a nice camp ground with fishing pond, horse back riding, a bunk house for $1 a night if you do not have camping provisions, and great friends. This is a place you can take the kids to and let them play with out any worries of the Michael Jackson types.
The lake is great for day trips or if you live close enough, afternoon trips. The water quality is awesome, and NO Personal watercraft(the main reason I bought). Also as mentioned, big crowd is about 25 boats on holiday weekends. usually on any given summer weekend is less than a dozen and I have been on the lake by myself on weekdays. The guest thing is really good thing becouse it keeps out the rif raf, makes it safe for the family.
we all have friends that we are not proud of.
One other thing about purchasing private memberships, Make sure thay have lake access, some memberships from years ago did not have access.
Mandelon if you have any other question pm me.

Mandelon
11-28-2003, 08:03 AM
Its a bit too far from our house to make it worth doing, but I was curious. I did get an offer card a few years ago but did not have that much interest.
Sure seems like a great place for those who are near it. I have stopped by the campgrounds and they look nice too.
I wish there was somewhere not too far to go and camp and be able to use the boat. We've stayed in Perris before, or out to Martinez. But nothing that I know of that is not even further......
For waterskiing or wakeboarding here in San Diego we are limited to San Vicente or Mission Bay(:yuk: ) unless we want to drive to Riverside (Elsinore or Perris) or out to the River. Kinda tuff for day trips, if you know what I mean.

HM
12-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
HolyMoly, did you buy near Aguanga or more towards Sage? Kinda looks that way from the pic you posted.
I bought in Aguanga(Lake Riverside Estates) - that is not my pic, it was on the vail website. I have a view of Vail from my property - it is a little further away. My lot is at 3,500' elevation.

BGMAN203
12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
So I take it from all the comments, there won't be any boats making nasty speed runs there??