PDA

View Full Version : Mag 496 HO

Mike'sSport22
02-03-2001, 10:34 PM
I am purchasing a Howard 22 Sport and I'm thinking of installing a Mag 496 HO. Anyone out there have any opinions, comments or experience with this new Mercruiser powerplant. Any info would be appreciated http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif.

COBRA98
02-09-2001, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Mike'sSport22:
I am purchasing a Howard 22 Sport and I'm thinking of installing a Mag 496 HO. Anyone out there have any opinions, comments or experience with this new Mercruiser powerplant. Any info would be appreciated http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif.
Hi MikeSport22, It sounds like a nice package. I am looking at a very similar package. Which drive are you going to install. My vendor ( Essex) recommended the XR because I was looking to at somepoint in the future Supercharge the engine.
I particular liked the digital engine display and the capacity to download your information to a laptop with some engine benchmarking software.
Cheers

Mike'sSport22
02-10-2001, 09:27 PM
Hey COBRA98, thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty sure I am going to stay with the standard Bravo1 for now with either the Teague or Imco HP upgrades at a latter time. What is Essex charging you for the upgrade to the XP? I'm torn between 496 & 502 engines. The 496 sounds like a great package, although I think it would be easier to make HP mods to the 502.
Tnx again COBRA98 :)

Kanookstr
02-11-2001, 08:43 AM
Yes mike you are right about the 502, It has all the best internal parts to handle super charging. it also has a compresion of 8.75.1
which is better for supercharging. I have the 502 MPI in my 230SX stingray with a procharger 3.5 - 5.0 lbs boost and I went from 73 MPH to 89 MPH on a GPS. I was spinning a mirage 25 pitch and now I spin a bravo1 4 blade 31 pitch. good luck.
P;s; If you are considering a Procharger in your future Call C & B Marine (413)734-2844,
He has the best price I found on the kits.

LMW
03-06-2001, 05:52 PM
I just bought the 496HO, mainly because I couldn't get the 502 from the boat manufacturer. The 496 has some neat features, like closed cooling and better stock exhaust. However, if you plan to modify (I didn't), you're probably better off at this time going with the 502. Look at all the aftermarket stuff available for the 502, then look for something to fit the 496. Not much out there yet.
[This message has been edited by LMW (edited March 06, 2001).]

GhettoBird
03-07-2001, 07:43 PM
I just ordered my new Shockwave 21' Step Skier today and am putting the 496 Mag HO in. Don' t think I'm gonna need to do any upgrades in the future though....I did add trim tabs, but thats about it

GhettoBird
03-07-2001, 07:44 PM
I just ordered my new Shockwave 21' Step Skier today and am putting the 496 Mag HO in. Don' t think I'm gonna need to do any upgrades in the future though....I did add trim tabs, but thats about it

Magic Sandbar
04-10-2001, 09:51 AM
I have a new 496 HO and I am not pleased with it so far. It is running so rich the transom is covered with soot so black you cant even see the gelcoat. Mercruiser says just wait til you break it in and it will stop. YEA RIGHT!. I have never seen a motor lean it's self out when it breaks in. I just hope they take care of me if it doesn't get any better. The motor runs smooth and seems to have good power but, I think it would have more power if it were leaned out. Does anyone have any comments or sugestions?
[This message has been edited by Magic Sandbar (edited April 10, 2001).]

ODDD1
04-10-2001, 03:57 PM
OK magic your a motor builder...got a new BB out wuth fresh hottest to date electronic engine management electronics allow you too run ALOT of cam and still hold a mild idle speed.....you just gotta fatten up the mix on the low end and mind the timing , piece of cake! BUT jeese, better make it a little richer during breakin..ya know motors make more heat then.....might soot the transom but OH WELL....

AlterEgo
05-25-2001, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Magic Sandbar:
I have a new 496 HO and I am not pleased with it so far. It is running so rich the transom is covered with soot so black you cant even see the gelcoat. Mercruiser says just wait til you break it in and it will stop. YEA RIGHT!. I have never seen a motor lean it's self out when it breaks in. I just hope they take care of me if it doesn't get any better. The motor runs smooth and seems to have good power but, I think it would have more power if it were leaned out. Does anyone have any comments or sugestions?
[This message has been edited by Magic Sandbar (edited April 10, 2001).]
Dude!, I'm glad its not just mine... I have a 230 Caliber1 w/ an HO and about 17 hrs on it so far. I go to Havasu mostly and after cruising thru the channel and no wake zones (which are painfully abundant there) I end up with mucho black soot on my white transom. Is a pain in the butt to clean up. Other than that the motor seems to run great. A friend of mine who is fairly knowledgeable w/ motors also suggested it may minimize w/ breakin but I have my doubts. I'm also concerned w/ the overly long pushrod recall on HO's I just read about. I would like to find out more since I have yet to receive any notices from Merc.

Magic Sandbar
05-25-2001, 11:10 AM
I just had the re-call work performed on my 496HO and I am hoping that will cure a lot of problems. The last time I took the boat out it had 17 hours on it and I did notice less soot on the transome. I will be at Havasu memorial weekend to give it a good run. I will post the reslults when I return on Tuesday. If anyone is at Havasu and has questions on how this motor is doing, I will be driving the 29' Magic with blue flames.

Magic Sandbar
05-31-2001, 06:22 AM
Well, here it is. I had the re-call work done on my 496HO and took it out last weekend. I didn't notice any difference in the performance and there is still a lot of soot on the transome after running for an hour. I hate to say it but, I think Mercruiser screwed up putting out this motor. I am one un-happy customer!

AlterEgo
06-05-2001, 06:51 AM
If I had it to do over I would try very hard to locate a 502 in instead of the HO. The HO unfortunately has been plagued w/ problems in the the early going. The HO I have in my 230 Velocity (Calber1) is running well, other than the soot on the transom, but I am concerned after hearing bout the recall motors. Not only that, the most top speed my boat has seen is 71 GPS. I was expecting closer to 75 or so. I just talked to a guy yesterday w/ a 23' Silencer which is significantly larger than my boat, and he says he's spinning a 26" bravo (mine is a 24) and w/ 4 adults on board has seen 74mph on radar w/ a 502 . Good luck finding a 502 though. They're discontinued of course from Merc and used ones will undoubtedly be going for top dollar.

AlterEgo
06-05-2001, 06:58 AM
Btw Magic, I'd be interested to hear what they did for the recall work on your motor? Doesn't sound like much but would still like to know what they told you. Also where did you get the work done?

bubba
06-05-2001, 02:17 PM
hello altar, ego if you want more speed use a three blade prop i own a regal velocity 23 ft and run with a 25 mirage + and run about 80 mph i also usde a 4 blade bravo that kost me 3 mph try a 3 blade you will be happy
regards sake from the netherlands

bubba
06-05-2001, 02:20 PM
hello alterego, if you want more speed use a three blade prop i own a regal velocity 23 ft with a 496 HO and run with a 25 mirage + and run about 80 mph i also usde a 4 blade bravo that kost me 3 mph try a 3 blade you will be happy
regards sake from the netherlands

AlterEgo
06-11-2001, 03:28 PM
I've been told a 3 blade would prolly give a bit more top end but at the expense of stability. I'm a little nervous about that since I typically have my wife and kids along and the water at Havasu (where I boat 90% of the time) is usually pretty choppy due to all the 30' plus Scarabs and stuff. My boat is already a bit of a wild ride in rough water. I was considering having my Bravo 4 blade repitched to 25 though. I wonder if it would give me a bit more on top or possibly be a tad too tall. I'd hate to sacrifice much acceleration.

gstark
06-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Alterego:
Just wondering what you think of your 230 Velocity. I took delivery of mine after almost 16 weeks and now have 15hrs on it.
I do have a 502 carb with a Legend set back jet, as opposed to your I/O. I also had Cliff put on Dana billet tabs and am most pleased with that decision. Do date, I've run 57mph on GPS with 4 wide bodies aboard. So, I am a ways away from your top end. But then, I run on the lower river where I/O's do not tend to frequent. Almost got the 496 MAG (375hp) until I found out the block is 3" longer that the GEN VI. Wider and taller as well. One interesting note is that I am burning around 15-18 gal/hr, mostly 4K and up engine speed. I called Marine Power and discussed the carb situation. I have a Holley list 9015 which is a 750, vac sec, single pumper, with 76 mains, -27 sec plate, and a 10.5 power valve. The power valve setting controls the transition from idle circuit to main circuit, opening at 10.5 inches or less engine vac. In over 20 years of playing with Holleys, I have never seen this high of power valve used. Marine Power said keep it as is, on their dyno, they have optimized the settings, and they should remain, especially if warranty is to be honored. He did point out that many of the newer style boats have a closed engine and supply of air is via a couple of 2-3" dia holes, typically one with a blower hose attached. This describes our Velocities exactly. He said this could be responsible for a rich running condition. I have a light sooty build up on my transom, and with this size entrance for air, I can see that this engine could easily displace the volume under the hatch and not be replaced with fresh air thru the vent.

dcraig
06-13-2001, 08:59 AM
I had the same carb on by 454 Mag engine. This carb is piece of &*#!. I could never get rid of the rich condition and soot on the transom.
I installed a Holley Marine 9022 (800cfm) double pumper with mechanical secondaries and it really made a difference. The boat now runs perfect without any soot on the transom. Its also significantly faster out of the hole and throughout the power band. It also picked up 2mph on the top end. All this and I'm getting better gas mileage!
If you cant get the motor to run without the rich condition, you might consider changing carbs.

AlterEgo
06-13-2001, 11:07 AM
I like my 230 alot gstark for what it is. Cliff was great and I feel after shopping almost every builder in So Cal for a 21' bowrider w/ the options I wanted I got the best possible deal at Caliber1. I would have preferred a 21 Lavey or Essex due to the higher freeboard n all but I would have had to give up mucho options and the HO motor to even come close price wise. The boat rides real well in mild chop for a 21 , tracks well w/ zero porpoising. But after 4 trips to Havasu already I am longing for a true 23' (or larger) to deal w/ the rough stuff. The HO motor is plenty strong for a boat this size, the thing is that if Im running it hard and hit a cupla 2ft plus rollers it becomes Mr.Toads wild Ride! This is not a knock on this hull at all, just lamenting the water at Havasu being chewed up all the time from the big boys.

gstark
06-13-2001, 05:17 PM
Don (DDG072456):
Got your e-mail message, but your address appears to be fouled up.
Can you provide me the full address so I can answer your question.
thx

25 Outlaw 502
06-14-2001, 09:26 AM
LMW, sound like you know quite a bit about merc motors and such and I was wondering if you could take a look at the new posting I did titled 25 outlaw 502. Any feed back you could give me in my posting could help put a big smile on my face. Thanks
[This message has been edited by LMW (edited March 06, 2001).][/B][/QUOTE]

FIREMAN
06-15-2001, 11:59 AM
I just turned the 20 hr mark on my 2001 commander 24 Sig. The richness of the new motor is gone, that's right , no more soot. yahoo. It's a good motor it just needed a little breaking in , as do most females and everything else.