PDA

View Full Version : Ford question

dawgdude
11-28-2003, 11:04 AM
Ok Ford guys heres a question. I just started pulling this 460 apart and need some tech info. Below are the head and block numbers that I found. Can anyone give me some info as to what they are and if they should work for this ""low budget"" HA!, project I'm working on. Thanks for the help.
Heads D3VE - A2A
Block DIVE-6015-A2B

Jet City
11-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Basically the casting number break down as follows.
D3VE = D(197X) 3(XXX3) V(Lincoln) E(Engine)
Those head castings are what came on most 70's jetboats, they have 92-95cc combustion chambers and with proper porting can support 600 HP. Your block is a 1971 which uses a slightly higher deck than the earlier versions and along with the later model dished pistons yeild 8:1 CR. Obviously, bringing the CR up will net big gains, a set of the slightly better flowing C8VE, C9VE or D0VE heads will bring you around 9.5:1 CR. The other option is to use a piston with less dish volume with the D3VE heads. Here is a link to the best 460 site around, you will also find link to Scott J's site (reincarnation.com) who is the best 385 series iron head porter around.
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/85220
What kind of power levels are you trying to reach and what is your budget?

LakesOnly
11-28-2003, 01:54 PM
D3VE-A2A:Those are standard car passenger heads. 96 cc combustion chambers. With the proper porting, they are good heads. I am running them myself and my motor produces about 580HP. They are commonly referred to as "late-style" heads.
("Early-style" heads are similar but with a slightly better exhaust port and have 76 cc combustion chambers. Also, the heads to avoid at all casts are D2VE-*** as they are detonation prone.)
If you put flat-top pistons in your engine and zero-deck your block, you will have about 9.8-10:1 compression ratio, which is great for your typical lake boat.
LO

dawgdude
11-28-2003, 02:11 PM
As with most of my projects, I wasn't planning on spending alot. You know the routine, build it, thrash it, sell it and build something else. But I kinda got smacked by the seller on this one and have to much in it to now to just throw it together.
This is my second jet so I'm still fairly new and trying to figure out pump set up, horsepower etc. Also it my first Ford. The seller said that it had just been rebuilt, and kind of looks like it. But due to what I've found so far with the rest of the boat, I'm not so sure. I had planned on pulling it apart and make sure all is right then button it back up. I'de like to keep the block close to stock for reliability. It sat for awhile so I'm going to check the springs etc.
I really only want to get an honest mid 60's out of it. It's a Kona 18'hull. Just finished the hull so I know it's right. I've been reading some of the old posts reguarding how much hp it takes to get to 65 or 70. I think I can get there for a reasonable sum.
Thanks for the sites JetCity I'm heading there now.

Squirtcha?
11-28-2003, 02:17 PM
You should have no problem. My 18.5' ran 62 mph with a bone stock 460 (it had headers on it).

Ray Hamel
11-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Since this is your first 460, consider taking the valley pan (turkey tray) out and throwing it away. Use a good intake gasket such as "Mr Gasket" and pay close attention to the condition of the aluminum timing cover casting (replace it if the condition looks questionable). I think these two items may be the two most leak prone areas in the engine. If your intake has the exaust passing trough from one head to the other, block the port with a .020" shim between each gasket and head opening because the exaust will burn through the gasket quickly ( the heat passing through the intake will increase oil temperature). There is nothing more frusterating than putting it all back toghther and finding oil in your water .

LakesOnly
11-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by dawgdude
The seller said that it had just been rebuilt, and kind of looks like it. But due to what I've found so far with the rest of the boat, I'm not so sure. I had planned on pulling it apart and make sure all is right then button it back up.
Start with a compression test: disassembly may not be necessary.
LO

Hallett19
11-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Another thing you should look into is the timing chain. The one you have is probably the one that retards the timing 8 degrees, order the Ford Motorsport one and it will set the timing at 0, that is a huge upgrade, and only for $75. Some things I decided to take care of on my 460 when I rebuilt was the oil pan and pickup and addition of a windage tray. The pan comes with the pickup in the back with baffles in the pan which keeps all the oil in the pickup area when you accelerate, unquestionably the best improvment you can make on a boat. I kept all my internals minus the cam and put in an isky A cut impeller cam, decked the block so the pistons were flat with the deck, and a wieand stealth intake. Good luck.

460rogers
11-30-2003, 01:53 PM
DITTO! All good suggestions( I'm not an expert)the stealth is the best single carb intake I've tried(I'm not an expert)I also found that adding a 1" spacer under carb got me almost 500 more RPM's running a B imp(I'm not an expert).If you just go with the flattop pistons,FOMOCO 429 timing chain,stealth intake,at least a 280 cam,And an 850 cfm carb you should easily hit 65 mph. (these are only suggestions,I'm not an expert)see disclaimer WE BE COOL The king said so.

dawgdude
12-01-2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the advise. I've got the motor down and I'm able to see a little more of the insides. It looks as thought this thing did have a rebuild and looks as though it hasn't been run other than the little bit I ran it when I was buying the boat. I'm going to break it completly down and find out exactly what I have. "bored or not, crank size, cam etc. Thanks to you guys advise I have a little clearer picture of what needs to be done now. I'm figuring a little port work to clean the heads up. It looks as though the blocks been decked already so some of the work you suggested seems to be done.
As far as carbs go, I really wanted to run a tunnel ram, for the looks. I heard that these big fords like alot of carb. Theres a performer on it now.
Thanks again for all the advise.

Hallett19
12-01-2003, 08:26 AM
I have the A2A heads on my 460 and they seem to be fine. What kind of hull is this engine in and what kind of numbers are you looking for ? I have mine in a heavy 20 ft hallett and I get almost 60 mph out of mine. I am running a TPC 4 bbl Holley with vaccum secondaries and my boat gets great fuel economy and great top end. And one more thing, if that motor has the stock distributor, do yourself a favor and put in an MSD pro billet with the msd ignition box, my motor was PLAUGED with problems, going through carbs, timing issues, fuel issues, you name it, but once I put that msd distributor on, I never had a problem again.

dawgdude
12-01-2003, 07:36 PM
The motors in an 18' Kona. Its a fairly light hull. I just finished stringers and floor so I'm guessing about 400lbs or so. I'm looking for mid 60's or better. At this time theres a Mallory dist. and coil in it. It has a performer intake and 850 Holley. Not sure as to the cam yet. I want to drop a tunnel ram on it for looks. I'm not to concerned about fuel usage.

LakesOnly
12-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by dawgdude
I'm looking for mid 60's or better. At this time theres a Mallory dist. and coil in it. It has a performer intake and 850 Holley. Not sure as to the cam yet. I want to drop a tunnel ram on it...
460's like tunnel rams and headers. in order to get the most out of those add-ons, the D3VE heads should be properly ported. In stock trim, D3VE max flow is only 125 cfm on the exhaust port. Ported well, they can flow over 200 cfm. While this is not a high number in all typical big block engine's, the difference in your application will be as different as night and day.
Cam shoixce depensds heavily on your compression ratio. Do you have flat-top pistons, dish-tops or pop-up pistons?
LO