PDA

View Full Version : Strut Wanted

garrett
11-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Looking for a miller strut made by hallcraft during the 60's. It's a 9 degree with built in water pickup. Any help appreciated!

superdave013
11-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by mouzer
Call Mark(BOATBOY) (928)530-2944 lots of hard to find v-drive parts,from old flattys.hes in kingman az, he will ship it if hes got it, your welcome.(mouzer)mike
You know, I've called that guy a hand full of times.
Not once did he go look through his parts pile and call me back like he said he would.
He'll most likely be at Long Beach tomorrow and if he happens to have an old Hallcraft strut with a water pickup I'll grab it.
But Garret, man, why not put a new strut on the boat? One you know is not cracked or bent. Those old Hallcraft struts with the water pick ups sure look weak.
Schiada96 made mine and did a hella nice job.
Dan @ Canyon Marine or Mike (Rexone) @ Rex can fix you up with a nice Barber strut too.

Kindsvater Flat
11-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Isn't that the same strut that Kim Hanson had on that flat he bought?

superdave013
11-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
Isn't that the same strut that Kim Hanson had on that flat he bought?
Yup

Kim Hanson
11-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Yup
Thats what this is? I need to record some of this stuff.....( . )( . ).....:cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72HPIM0057.JPG:cool:

Kim Hanson
11-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
You know, I've called that guy a hand full of times.
Not once did he go look through his parts pile and call me back like he said he would.
He'll most likely be at Long Beach tomorrow and if he happens to have an old Hallcraft strut with a water pickup I'll grab it.
But Garret, man, why not put a new strut on the boat? One you know is not cracked or bent. Those old Hallcraft struts with the water pick ups sure look weak.
Schiada96 made mine and did a hella nice job.
Dan @ Canyon Marine or Mike (Rexone) @ Rex can fix you up with a nice Barber strut too.
Can I see a picture of what your pick-up look's like? Sure would like to see it!.........( . )( . )...........:)

DUCKY
11-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Check with Schiada96 or BeaverFab about making you a new one, and move that water pickup elsewhere. That thing has got to cause some slippage sitting right in front of the prop like that.

garrett
11-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Superdave
Hold off on grabbing that strut then thanks! I'm going to run this by my dad. With the exception of the water pickup location he would rather go new. Do they make new struts with built in water pickups like those? I'm still pretty green. I do know the water pickup location was my grandfather's concept given to hallcraft a long time ago. So we were thinking it would make it more original.
Thanks everybody for the info!

V-Drive Tom
11-30-2003, 08:13 AM
Garrett, That strut and the one Rayson Craft made, DO create unwanted air around the propeller. If the boat is going to be close to stock with a brass three blade and all (NOT LIKELY!:) ) Then it would work ok. It will be better to go with a new one like the guys are saying. Thats just MY DOLLARS WORTH. :D TOM..

scottys
11-30-2003, 08:24 AM
the water pickup location was my grandfathers concept
Whoops :rolleyes:

scottys
11-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Tom,My prop be ready for new years?

garrett
11-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Tom,
I've never seen the strut I'm talking about. Im gonna ask my dad to see the picture kim provided. He bought and installed the struts for the flatbottoms. It was tested at the drags and worth a few miles an hour with this water pickup location. But again I don't know if the pickup I'm talking about is the same as pictured. I see your point. Thanks for the advice
Scotty's
I don't know what year? Can't ask him unfortunately. Hope I didn't make it up. he was doing most of his experimenting in the 50's though.

Fiat48
11-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Get a new strut built. No matter what speed, strut can cost you a boat. Maybe more. Wayne Mettler makes real nice ones. Worth the money.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/374cra3-med.JPG

garrett
11-30-2003, 03:27 PM
The picture posted is not it. The strut I'm referring to
has the water pick up directly in the center. One hole, nothing sticks out.
I think were going to look for a new one that is similar enough that we don't have to make any modifications to the hull. If we have to put the pickup somewhere else it's no big deal. Thanks for the help!

CircleJerk
12-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Thats difinitely the strut on my current racing Aquacraft. Does everyone concurr that this creates a problem? Boat guy says to change it cause its Brass and they bend. Would 400 HP be too much?:)

johnmiller
12-01-2003, 12:52 PM
The strut my son's and I are looking for was made by "HallCraft", and was made special for Miller Boats from app. 1960 till the end of flatty's for us (1972). The strut is shallow (app. 6" drop), 9 degree, and the water pickup was in the front where the base and web meet. We ran this strut on all our flatbottoms including Bob Garners blown gas flat that held the worlds record at 126 mph in 1967. Through many years of testing, this strut produced far less drag and had NO effect on the ride of the boat compared to a regular strut and a water pickup mounted on the bottom or off the cav. plate. It also proved to supply enough water to cool the motor. I haven't got a picture of one, but if you have one on your boat you should have an inlet pipe for the water between the 1st and 2nd row of strut bolts in the center of the bolt pattern.
If anyone knows if HallCraft is still in business, or you know who may have their castings let us know.
The boat we are restoring had one of these struts, but unfortunately someone removed all the hardware before we bought the boat. If we can't find one, then all the holes and shaft hole will have to be filled and redrilled.
Thanks in advance

superdave013
12-01-2003, 01:06 PM
sounds like a hard part to find.
If you have an idea of the specs I bet schiada96 could make you something pretty close if no right on the money. That guy's got skills.