PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold

bignblown
01-25-2003, 01:16 PM
Which manifolds are better the IMCO or Eddie Marine ? Any help

DogHouse
01-27-2003, 02:24 PM
I ran EMI manifolds for several years, first on a small block then a big block. I had them make up some nice s/s risers custom fit to my boat. They did great work on the risers and were very fairly priced, but I always had trouble getting the manifold/riser gaskets to seal. The water passages in the manifold were so troublesome that I finally had a friend weld them shut. After that I machined them flat in a mill and they never leaked again. Unless they've changed their design, I couldn't recommend buying those manifolds. If the IMCO does not pass water through the flange then I'd go that direction instead. The IMCOs are also available in a version with larger individual runners for big motors.
-brian

1stepcloser
01-27-2003, 03:54 PM
I have run a set of EMI's on my 454 for the past three years without any trouble.
Like any new piece, I would recommend you inspect and true the machined surfaces, just to insure they are nice and flat.
I think it's a quality exhaust system for the money. :)

Eddie Marine
01-28-2003, 09:02 AM
While it hasn't been a huge concern, the water passing through the flange has been the only real problem spot we have ever encountered with our systems. We recently decided to eliminate the threat of this completely and have gone to a solid top on all of our manifolds and "jump" the water around the flange instead of through it. I hope this helps you to make you decision.

Havasu Hangin'
01-28-2003, 09:45 AM
Eddie Marine:
While it hasn't been a huge concern, the water passing through the flange has been the only real problem spot we have ever encountered with our systems. We recently decided to eliminate the threat of this completely and have gone to a solid top on all of our manifolds and "jump" the water around the flange instead of through it. I hope this helps you to make you decision. I have the old style, and haven't had any issues. However, hydraulic lock is a little scary to me and my rods (pardon the expression)...
Do you have any policy in place to help those of us with the old style? Can I exchange them? Should I get them welded and milled?
[ January 28, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

1stepcloser
01-28-2003, 10:23 AM
Havasu Hangin':
Do you have any policy in place to help those of us with the old style? Can I exchange them? Should I get them welded and milled? Yeah...what he said... :confused:

Eddie Marine
01-28-2003, 12:08 PM
As long as they were purchased in the last couple of years, we offer an exchange price of $450 pr. or you can weld and resurface and we will recoat them for $50.

1stepcloser
01-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Can you guys do the welding and machining?
And then, I suppose, repolish them?

DogHouse
01-28-2003, 07:10 PM
We used some plugs made out of aluminum plate and just welded around the edges. My friend was careful not to put too much heat to them and the powder coat came out fine. There was only one small spot of slight discolorization, not enough to worry about. I think I marked them up more trying to clamp them sufficiently in the mill.
By the way, hats off to EMI for recognizing a potential problem and providing a low cost solution, even though they aren't obligated to do so.
-brian

Eddie Marine
01-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey, something nice about Eddie Marine on the Hot Boat site! Thanks, we really do try. No we wouldn't do the welding and resurfacing that is why we offer the replacement price. For us to take the time to pull a welder out of production, a guy out of the machine shop to surface...and so on. Thanks again.

SK48
01-29-2003, 07:09 PM
I'll say something nice, you guys did a beautiful job of building stainless exhaust tips for your manifolds on my Biesemeyer Flatbottom. Everyone admires them, and they work great. Boat is comming apart for candy paint & polishing this year. I will get you some pictures. Thanks Eddie Marine.

superV
02-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Stainlees Steel Marine! :D Its the only way to go...