PDA

View Full Version : worth to change from jet to inboard/outboard?

Eric455
06-06-2002, 10:03 PM
io have a jet boat and want to change the jet to a mercruiser outdrive? i want the feel the power not see it i think i will get better performance with a prop how much am i looking at, and is it worth changing or just buying a boat that has a prop already? thanx for any info
eric

mister460
06-07-2002, 08:46 AM
Well, that's a big ass hole to fill in the bottom. Unless you REALLY enjoy glass work I'd just spruce yours up, sell it and then buy one with a prop. Or just stay COOL and keep the jet! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Tahiti Day Cruiser
06-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Hello,
What kind of boat do you have and what condition do you consider the Jet drive to be in. I think it really depends on how much you like the Hull. Reason being is that if you own a pretty flat bottom boat (as many jets are) and plan on converting it to an outdrive, your going to have to refill and maybe reinforce the entire area under the boat where the jet intake is. This is a pretty expensive propsition unless you do it yourself and then it becomes a very time consuming process. I think if your boat and jet drive are in decent condition you will probably have an easier time just selling the boat and reinvesting in something made to be a stern drive. The money you will save from converting the jet you could reeinvest in the new boat. Then you can pick and choose a good motor/outdrive/hull combination to accomodate the particular waters you plan on using. However if you really love that Hull on the jet boat, then go for it. Let me know how things go.
Thanks and good luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

blowncarrera777
06-11-2002, 08:31 PM
eric if your going to change from jet to bravo...........STOP.... spend the extra and get an arneson surface drive, youll never regret it.

couverley
06-16-2002, 06:25 AM
I just did it - It is a lot harder than I thought... The ONLY question is how much your boat is worth... If it is like my boat simi-worthless, then it make sence to switch... If it IS worth $$$, sell & buy an I/O...
Ken

acatitude
07-21-2002, 06:04 PM
erik just buy my 81 carrera blown bbc and surface drive and your in.

wowchad
08-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Whats a surface drive?
I too have a jet, fresh build and love it but...
I live on a weed filled lake, the kids love to tube, I can barly hit 60 MPH and its takes about $50.00 a day to run the 460 @ 5000 RPM's.
I am going to look at a theft recovery 22' Daytona tommorow, no motor or outdrive.
What do you think, does a 460 mate to a Bravo I?!?

565edge
08-08-2002, 03:19 PM
wowchad:
Whats a surface drive?
I too have a jet, fresh build and love it but...
I live on a weed filled lake, the kids love to tube, I can barly hit 60 MPH and its takes about $50.00 a day to run the 460 @ 5000 RPM's.
I am going to look at a theft recovery 22' Daytona tommorow, no motor or outdrive.
What do you think, does a 460 mate to a Bravo I?!?You have mail.