PDA

View Full Version : 496HO Power Increase

prosthogod
12-01-2003, 08:17 AM
Since I didn't get any help in the gearhead forum I thought I 'd try hear. I've been talking to AZ. Speed and Marine about increasing HP and they say the pistons will fail at a HP range above ~575. They recomend a procharger with only 2-3 lbsmax. Or go with a new intake system that will increase HP ~105. That cost is about 3900.00. What do you think? Have you heard of the weak link being the pistons? Help!

twistedpair
12-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Similar discussion going on Here (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread/t-37392.html)

Keith E. Sayre
12-02-2003, 06:26 PM
In the past, we depended on FORGED pistons to deal with the
heat that supercharged motors produced. As most of you know,
FORGED pistons take the heat but won't last as long as the
CAST pistons will. The pistons that the 496 engines have are
called "hypereutectic" (I'm sure the spelling is wrong). These
pistons are cast but through this new process they become
more capable of dealing with heat. Therefore you get the longevity of a cast piston with almost the same heat capabilities
of a forged piston. Remember, these pistons were designed to
go 200,000 miles in your Suburban, not to be put in a boat. If
there is a weak link in the 496 package, I would say that it is the
pistons. However, I have a dozen friends that have put whipples
on them and so far, they're all still working. At the LA boatshow
last year, I tried to get Steve Donohue to tell me that it was ok
to put a supercharger on a 496HO and he wouldn't ever say it-
but he did grin alot.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Jrocket
12-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by prosthogod
Or go with a new intake system that will increase HP ~105. That cost is about 3900.00. What do you think? Have you heard of the weak link being the pistons? Help!
Pistons being the weak link,Yes I think so.I wouldnt do it.For what it will cost you wont get the satisfaction your looking for.2-3 lbs? Not worth it.
105hp out of an intake and efi change,sounds kinda of high to me.For 3900,I would pass on it.If your really wanting more power,sell the motor and start over.